Old 17-09-2007, 06:09 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Doug.
Thanks for registering and saying g'day. I look forward to your contributions.
Old 19-09-2007, 12:07 AM
rodroger (Rodney)
Rod Burgess

Help.............!

Hi,
I'm a newbie to Iceinspace, found link on the Astronomical Association oF QLD. As I need help on Newt I just purchased. I am having a bit of trouble with it as far as Collimation. It is a 150mm/1400mm Short tube Reflector and uses a corrector lens? at the bottom of the focus tube. I recently purchased a
Celestron Speciality Collimator from York Optics in Bris, but the mount of the corrector seems to obscure my view of the edge of the scoundary.
The collimation is way out and the mirror I am told by York Optics, could be piched as well by the mount brackets. At the momment there is a lot of ghosting and any bright star produces a lot of glare, I can't resolve Alpha centauri with a 25mm eyepiece, and the 6.5mm eyepice has no focus on any stars only will focus to some extent on the moon.
As I the only previous scopes I have owned have been a 60mm Refractor and a 8" Celetron Cass Smitt. I have never pulled a scope to pieces before as this is what am told to to to fix the pinched mirror. I was hopping there might be somebody close by who could help me out with this, I would even be willing to pay. York Optics don't have a work shop no more, so they are much help. Ther mirror also does not have a centre spot? This is a real delema for me as I have not been able to use this scope yet since I purchased it. - by the way it came from China! - Cheap.....But I was told by York that it turn out to be a nice scope if prperly aligned.
Old 19-09-2007, 06:45 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi RodRoger, to IceInSpace.

It's unfortunate that you're having problems with your scope. Those short-tube reflectors really are best avoided. The built-in barlow is usually of suspect quality (sometimes plastic) and really will deteriorate the view more often that not.

If the mirror is pinched, you could follow the instructions here: Checking the optics of your GSO dob. It explains how to do it on a GSO mirror cell, but it won't be too different to yours i'm sure.

I'm not sure how much you paid for it, but it will probably give you constant trouble. From what i've heard, they are notoriously difficult to collimate properly.

For under $400-$500 you could get an 8" reflector on a dob base. A much more pleasing view, easier to modify, easier to collimate, great optics for the price. You really can't go wrong with them. Literally hundreds of IceInSpace members have bought them after they first came here for advice.

But, if you're prepared to stick with what you've got, we'll keep helping you out where we can! Get along to a local observing night of an astro society or IIS meetup and experienced people there can help you with collimation.

It's probably best to start a new thread for future questions because this beginners thread is quite long and maybe your post will be missed by people that can help you more.
Old 24-09-2007, 02:24 AM
rodroger (Rodney)
Rod Burgess

Thanks for that, Got scope colimated to a point with out a centre dot and has improved image a bit but still suspect pinched mirror - read the article on this, thanks for that. needed to put dot on mirror anyway. The Corrector is definatly glass as I removed it to check the centering of the secondary in the focus tube with and with out it - wish I read about the white paper trick before I did this Still getting triangle star colimation test which suggest pinched mirror, there are three main mirror mounting brackets!
(I checked my eyes and are ok.)
Paid $280.00 brand new with EQ3 Mount?
If I get any more probs after fixing pinched mirror, spotting mirror, and re-collimating I will start a new thread. I have a laser colimator arriving in a day or two which will help a bit.
Thanks again
Old 27-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Malmsteen

Hay there all, I would like to ask for a bit more information on filters , what the coulers are used for , ect, and what i will miss out on seeing with out filters on my scope thanks for u time
Old 01-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Malmsteen

hay there cant see my reply posts on this why
Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Malmsteen

You might wish to start with the link I give in my post on this thread:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=23881

And search the forum for other threads on filters - there is a lot of information.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmsteen View Post
Hay there all, I would like to ask for a bit more information on filters , what the coulers are used for , ect, and what i will miss out on seeing with out filters on my scope thanks for u time
Old 23-10-2007, 11:07 AM
berg meister

Introducing myself

Hello,

I am to be known here as berg meister. Always been into Astronomy but yet to really get decent gear. I have a 3" refractor and some binoculars and seeing as I currently live in Sydney, my astronomical moments are not as often as I like. Will move back to Canberra to vastly improve this in a year or so.

My moments of astronomy so far are:

Observing the first shuttle flight in 1981 (?) though it was more like a moving star
Observing Haley's comet in 1986 from Gosford NSW
Observing the Shoemaker Levy impact of Jupiter
Observing Saturn's ring with my own telescope in Christchurch 1997
Observing brief Aurora Australis briefly in Christchurch 1999 - I have a newspaper article on this....somwhere too.
Observing the Jewel Box cluster at the Towsend Observatory in the Christchurch Arts Centre - a 100 year old telescope:

http://www.artscentre.co.nz/whats-on...bservatory.asp

Watching a meteor explode over Lake George in 2005
Living within sight (for a while) of the Long Baseline Array east of Canberra.....could be in need of correction of the type there.
Observing McNaught

Maybe some others not quite to mind at present. Looking forward to the next shuttle launch too.

Glad to be a part of the community and look forward to some interesting stuff.

berg meister
Old 23-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Welcome Berg Meister and welcome to IIS, I hope you have a great here with us.

You have a nice list of astronomical milestones, the meteor exploding over Lake George must have been pretty awesome.

Cheers
Old 24-10-2007, 12:20 PM
berg meister

thanks Ric. Indeed that meteor over Lake George was one to remember. It was at about 2.30am with no vehicles in sight and a perfectly clear winter night...very cold too. Watched it explode with fiery fragments lasting up to a few seconds I guess....maybe two.

I still get a lump in the throat watching the shuttle take off each time....if only I could make it to the live launch in Florida. Amazing machine....I see it has a Hubb;le Repair mission schedulled for next year also.

thanks again for the welcome.
Old 24-10-2007, 12:30 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

HI and to IceInSpace!

I think you'll love it here and look forward to your contributions!
Old 24-10-2007, 01:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome from me... just remember a great deal of the Southern Sky was mapped using a half inch refractor ... so enjoy your huge app.

Interesting you mention seeing Haley at Gosford thats where I saw it...

alex
Old 28-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Paullus (Paul)

About time I became active on this forum!

My name is Paul and currently live near Grantham (Lockyer Valley), Qld. I've had an "on and off" interest in astronomy for a number of years. I've been a reasonably dormant member of AAQ for quite a while, but am keen to get things going again now that I have finished my engineering studies at USQ (more constant routine and a bit more coin to play with ), and have a good friend (joshman) that has picked up the hobby in recent months who is rather keen.

My equipment consists of a Meade LXD-75 6" newtonian with the cheatstar (Autostar hand controller), a set of relatively cheap eyepieces, a Canon Powershot A95 and an older Ricoh SLR. My areas of interest are general observing and astrophotography. My first scope was a $200 tasco job...learnt a few things with that ...

Despite the good dark skies where I live, I'm practically surrounded by trees so my view is limited to straight above me. Consequently my scope lives in its boxes.

So I guess that's my back story. I'm a little more interested in my cars at the moment (as most young guys are) but will post from time to time!

Cheers
Old 28-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Paul and welcome to IIS, I hope you have a great time here.

Cheers
Old 29-11-2007, 07:40 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Paul,
I dare say we'll meet sometime down the track. I look forward to it.
Welcome aboard.
Old 29-11-2007, 08:48 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Paul, to IIS!

Thanks for introducing yourself!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Paullym

Yet another newbie!

Hi all

I never really add to posts, just observe, but I really want to get into astronomy and have been confused to the point of needing help...

I'm looking to buy my first telescope and would like some advice as to what would be the best to buy. I live in Brisbane and have been to visit York Optical, who unfortunately seemed to have confused me even more.

I realise the need for a minimum 6" scope, and am happy to go for a reflector. I think that I would be best suited to an equitorial mount, given the practicalities of taking it camping and to dark sights, although I appreciate there could be a learning curve here! I am looking at the Skywatcher SW500, but would appreciate any advice or alternate suggestions?

I've also been told a motor would be good, but surely its not necessary at the start?

Yours confused

Paul

Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
BIG BEN

any assa people on iis

hey,

im a new member just wanting to say hi.

wandering if there are any assa members on this website?

also bout to buy 16" lb, can someone tell me any problems/ gremlins with this scope,
thankyou.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Big Ben! to IIS!
There's a few ASSA members here, and i'm sure you'll fit right in.

There's at least 2 members I personally know of who have a 16" LB. Maybe you should post your question in the Equipment Discussions forum where they're more likely to see it.

Hope you enjoy your stay here!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

How's it going Big Ben and welcome to IIS. I dont know much about the LB's but from what I've read they sound like a very nice scope. I'm sure the LB owners will be able to help you out with any questions you might have.

Cheers