Old 13-10-2016, 09:50 AM
sharpiel

Moonlite Focusers

There's another thread here atm about William Optics and it's begun to morph into a discussion on Moonlite. I didn't want to hijack that thread with my own thoughts on Moonlite so thought I'd post here instead. No doubt many of you have similar experiences.

I have two Moonlites now. One gold and the other violet. I opted to have both the high res stepper and the 8:1 reduction knob with the slip clutch. This way I can use the focusers either manually or motorised depending on what I'm doing each session. I love these focusers so much that sometimes I unwrap both scopes just to look at the magnificence of the Moonlite focusers. They are like pieces of engineering art.

Ron must be a work-a-holic insomniac. Or maybe a robot. Emails are always answered in a time frame which will astonish you. If there is ever a reality TV show to select the world's best customer service company Moonlite would have to win.

I've never dealt with any other business which meets Ron's benchmark. In my mind they are the Gold Standard.

Maybe Aus Post could get Ron over as a consultant to help improve their customer service image...
Old 13-10-2016, 10:45 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

+1 Over the years I have slowly ended up with moonlite focusers on all my telescopes but for the FSQ. They're a fantastic piece of engineering. They are so simple and blocky. Like a G11.
Old 13-10-2016, 01:05 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

The one thing you don't feel after getting a moonlight is any regret spend.
Old 13-10-2016, 10:47 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
The one thing you don't feel after getting a moonlight is any regret spend.
Now that is a great way of putting it!
Old 22-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiel View Post
Ron must be a work-a-holic insomniac. Or maybe a robot. Emails are always answered in a time frame which will astonish you.

I've never dealt with any other business which meets Ron's benchmark. In my mind they are the Gold Standard
Yes, his promptness of reply astonished me too. That is exceptional.

Although it may seem rare to get Gold Standard service, that isn't so. I deal with many US companies now and have found quite a few that give a very high level of service these days. There are, of course, some very sound economic reasons for doing so.

Companies need to realise that all customers are important, no matter how much they spend. For there is something else at play here. It is called referrals, or simply word of mouth and with social media this has become ever more important. Moonlite is a case in point. Having had such a great experience, both with their product and service, where would I now refer people too? The answer would be Moonlite.

Astonishingly, some companies just don't get it.

Since I refused to deal with some Australian suppliers, for the lack of respect for my business, I have had to go elsewhere for my products. In doing so I discovered that my custom is somewhat more respected overseas than in Australia. So, of course I am going to deal with these companies and not the locals. Of course I am going to refer people to these companies and not the locals. Why? Because, my business isn't important enough for them, apparently? Times will soon get hard and we will see how important my business is then. You only need referrals of 100 people spending $1,000 to add up to decent returns.

As a consumer, I now demand excellent service, which is my right. The thing is, I get it too. After all, if you accept mediocre service as being good service, that is what you will get.

My choice of Moonlite, over other options, was mostly because of the feedback I got from others. Also, it is an engineering work of art, truly a product where form follows function.

I certainly had no post purchase dissonance and the service is exceptional. I cannot rate Moonlite more highly.

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 22-10-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 25-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Star Catcher (Ted Dobosz)

I have several moonlite focusers and they are great value for your money and a quality piece of kit.

I also have to echo the sentiment of others here, Ron's service is second to none! He stands behind his products 100% and responds to emails remarkably quickly. It really shows how committed he is to his customers' satisfaction.
Old 27-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I have two Moonlite focusers and one Moonlite rotator - these are gold and I would not swap them for anything else, unless I had a camera with a large sensor, like 16803 for example or a super fast scope with a very narrow critical focus zone.
Old 27-10-2016, 10:48 PM
ian fry (Ian)

Hi everyone

Just fitted the blue moonlite focus to the FC-76DCU. Ron from moonlite was great and very helpfully.
He made the focus up so that I could have more in focus and back focus using the 1.25 and 2 inch diagonals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0705.jpg)
191.8 KB52 views
Old 28-10-2016, 06:10 AM
dmurton (David)

+1 for service from moonlite. I've had a moonlite on my Lightbridge for several years now. It transformed the scope, and the ability to have adjustment to collimate the focuser it excellent. Also, fitting it made me realize how poorly the scope had been setup by the manufacturer.

I have also had excellent service from starlight instruments. I needed a focuser that could carry more load than any crayford could be expected to carry, and the scope it was going on to was not a run of the mill one. A few emails back and forth, and a 2" R&P with a custom adaptor was on my doorstep. I have since sold the scope, but not the feathertouch.