Old 18-11-2009, 09:24 PM
lookus

using focusmax with a dslr camera

hi,

can focusmax be used to focus a dslr camera or is it strictly ccd cameras only?
Old 19-11-2009, 12:47 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

As long as you have your electric focusser hooked up to your pc or laptop I see no reason why Focus Max wouldn't work with a DSLR. After all it is your focusser not your camera that brings stars in to focus.

As it is freeware, assuming you have Maxim, why not download it, give it a go and report back.

I would give it a go but all my V curves are setup for my ccd and the idea of recording new ones for a DSLR and then rerecording ones for my ccd doesn't appeal to me, if it aint broke don't fix it. Besides with Sydney's cloud the way it has been we will be up to Maxim version 23 before I get to it .

Wayne
Old 19-11-2009, 05:57 PM
lookus

thanks for the reply. yes i will try it out this weekend. the forecast is at last looking favourable.will let you know.
Old 19-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Bolts_Tweed (Mark)

Yeah Mate - I use it with a 350D - works perfectly - much better focus than I can obtain manually.

Tips -

dont have Canon Utilities going or set up for remote shooting
Configure Maxim DL for your camera (in camera set up window)
Use Maxim Dl for all your camera control (shutter speed, ISO etc)
I have found that it works better on a slightly brighter star. Focus max reccommends a 4th mag star for CCD cameras. I sometimes use even 2nd mag with the DSLR.

Then run your calibration set up (V Curve) as if it is a CCD

Then click and focus.

Then disconnect from DL and use Canon remote shooting (well I suppose you could use DL but I havent worked out icnr delay yet in DL).

The only drama is you have to manually reset your exposure to bulb on camera.

Obviously if you need to refocus its the same in reverse - disconnect canon utilities, connect DL, and focus

Wont be able to answer any qs until after the weekend -i'm leaving now to go to dark sky site. Experiment - but rest assured it works really well.

Mark
Old 19-11-2009, 06:12 PM
rogerg (Roger)

I'm wondering what electronic focuser you're using for the DSLR?

I've considered buying a second RoboFocus, for my DSLR, but haven't bitten that pricey bullet yet.
Old 19-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Bolts_Tweed (Mark)

Damn Luke - I keep failing to notice it is your username. I use it on all my scopes. Come and have a look next time youre at leyburn

Mark
Old 19-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Bolts_Tweed (Mark)

Roger - Dont know if thats for me or Luke.

I use a Moonlite stepper system but I know robofocus works with focusmax as well. Any ASCOM compliant motor focuser will work.

Hardest part is setting up V curves but there are a few tutorials out on the web on the process.

Mark
Old 19-11-2009, 06:22 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts_Tweed View Post
Roger - Dont know if thats for me or Luke.
Either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts_Tweed View Post
I use a Moonlite stepper system but I know robofocus works with focusmax as well. Any ASCOM compliant motor focuser will work.

Hardest part is setting up V curves but there are a few tutorials out on the web on the process.

Mark
OK, thanks. I guess I'm thinking of wide field and so having something like the RoboFocus with belt around the camera lens focus, not having a focuser like a moonlite in the mix.

I'm quite fluent with FocusMax, using it all the time with my automated LX200 setup with RoboFocus, but haven't got it on my portable setup due to the lack of PC linked focuser. One day

My question was in hope of hearing of a cheaper alternative to the RoboFocus
Old 19-11-2009, 06:51 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Roger - Any ascom compliant focuser will work... Ie, one of the simple Skywatcher electric focus units ($100) + a shoestring GPUSB ($109) = $209 for a computer controlled focus system.. providing you already have software that supports autofocus (CCDSoft/MaximDL etc.) then you have yourself automated focus for just $209.. I'm pretty sure robofocus is around the $700 mark is it not?
Old 19-11-2009, 07:03 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Roger - Any ascom compliant focuser will work... Ie, one of the simple Skywatcher electric focus units ($100) + a shoestring GPUSB ($109) = $209 for a computer controlled focus system.. providing you already have software that supports autofocus (CCDSoft/MaximDL etc.) then you have yourself automated focus for just $209.. I'm pretty sure robofocus is around the $700 mark is it not?
Interesting, I wasn't aware of the shoestring controller ... (I presume you mean the FCUSB?). I can see how that could be used with my existing Orion AccuFocus. Very interesting!

Thanks

(yes, robofocus = $800ish at my last calculation)
Old 19-11-2009, 07:45 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Ahaha... Yes yes, the FCUSB is what I was referring to... Silly me..

Yep, well just $109 from bintel and use your existing Orion accufocus and you have a low end version of what would cost you $800 or there abouts...
Old 24-11-2009, 10:38 AM
lookus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Either

OK, thanks. I guess I'm thinking of wide field and so having something like the RoboFocus with belt around the camera lens focus, not having a focuser like a moonlite in the mix.

I'm quite fluent with FocusMax, using it all the time with my automated LX200 setup with RoboFocus, but haven't got it on my portable setup due to the lack of PC linked focuser. One day

My question was in hope of hearing of a cheaper alternative to the RoboFocus

hi roger,

i have 2 scopes and i use the swelfocus motor controller on each one ( $70) and the shoestring fcusb for each controller. i use these together with eqmod which also then allows me to have focus control( and mount control) of 1 scope via a gamepad. a great set-up and the goto's are always dead centre of my 2500mm focal length scope anywhere in the sky afer accurate polar alignment and a few star alignments.
Old 25-11-2009, 04:43 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Ahaha... Yes yes, the FCUSB is what I was referring to... Silly me..

Yep, well just $109 from bintel and use your existing Orion accufocus and you have a low end version of what would cost you $800 or there abouts...
US$86 from Shoestring equals about A$92. It should work with the JMI on my Feathertouch. Hoping so anyway.
Peter