Old 25-02-2012, 08:45 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re-Sensor cleaning.

The camera club I belong to has a professional photographer coming to town for a tut,and display of his works.The chap works full time in all aspects of photography.Including many world wide shoots.

After the tut,he has offered to do sensor cleaning for $75 per camera,I would never attempt such a task myself,is $75 about the normal fee?

Thinking about getting the 50D done,I can see dust at F22 against blue sky,but never had any issues with any of my images.Even macro at F14.

Should they even be done,if no issues at these regular F stops?? I may sell the 50D shortly and buy the 7D,may be should get it cleaned,as may be it might be a selling pointing when listing??

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Cheers Chris
Old 25-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Send it to Canon and get it done properly for a nominal fee.

I don't care how professional a photographer is, it means nothing insofar as cleaning a sensor goes.

Canon has proper clean rooms to do their sensor work in.

H
Old 25-02-2012, 10:42 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Send it to Canon and get it done properly for a nominal fee.

I don't care how professional a photographer is, it means nothing insofar as cleaning a sensor goes.

Canon has proper clean rooms to do their sensor work in.

H

Great-Thanks for that advice H,never considered those points you mention-I'll follow through on that advice.Cheers
Old 25-02-2012, 11:56 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

If it's just a spot or two, try using a blower bulb. Hold the camera pointing downwards, open the shutter for a long exposure and blow at the sensor. Make sure you're not touching anything and that you get the tip out before shutter closes and the mirror flips back down.

If the dust doesn't shift with that, you'll need a proper clean - agree it's worth getting it done by someone in proper workshop. I wonder if the pro coming to town will just be using one of the kits you can buy on eBay.

DT

Last edited by DavidTrap; 25-02-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 25-02-2012, 02:54 PM
gregbradley

I used to clean my DSLR sensors all the time - easy as.

I used Bintel cleaning fluid. Q-tips and a microfibre cloth and a blower bulb.

You have to wipe the remaining streaks of the cleaning fluid off.

Have a bright light and you can look at the sensor at an angle from that and it will reveal any and all little flaws.

No harder than cleaning the lens of a scope.

Greg.
Old 25-02-2012, 02:59 PM
mplanet62 (Michael)

As for me-I do it myself. Lenspen for sensors http://www.lenspen.com/ does the trick. But if the dust does not affect 95 per sent of your images - don't bother, no matter how you try - the it always will be there. That's DSLR pay for interchangeable optics. 5 percent of images can be fixed easily in any good photo management program (I use Lightroom). Since dust is most seen against plain blue of clear sky - that's very easy fix.
Old 27-02-2012, 07:32 AM
S Fletcher (Steve Fletcher)

Ive been a pro photog for as long as i care to remember, and when i moved to digital, i used to send my bodies off for sensor cleaning. A lot of the time they came back dirtier than when i sent them, great big black dust marks which werent there before. I bought a Lenspen, the Sensorklean, not the lens version, and have done my own for years, it is extremely easy with no chance of problems. I also have some swabs and cleaning fluid, for stubborn or oily marks, but 99% of the time the Lenspen works brilliantly. It doesnt matter how clean the area is where the cleaning takes place, dust will always find its way onto the sensor, as soon as you remove the lens cap, or change a lens, dust will find its way onto it. A quick blow removes most, then a few strokes with the Lenspen, and another blow will remove it.
A pro charging $75 sounds like a rip off merchant, and i would invest in this simle little tool, and save a fortune.
Old 28-02-2012, 06:40 AM
leon

Do it yourself Chris, it is not hard and a much better result than Canon, their work comes back worse than when you sent it.

I do my 5D periodically and it is crystal clear, and only use a good quality lens pen, the filter in front of the sensor is tougher than is made out to be.

Canon only tell you not to touch it because they want the work, bit like car warranty.

Leon
Old 29-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Atlantis69 (Simon)

Canon in Sydney only charge $50 for a cleaning, so this guy is certainly trying to "clean up" so to say.
That being said, I clean my own sensors. Once you pass the fear stage and know how hard it is to really screw it up, it becomes second nature.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 AM
leon

50 bucks a hit, not bad for a couple of minutes work, as Simon says, (don't take that wrong Simon) it is really very easy to do, you really cant muck it up.

Leon
Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 AM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Please correct me if I'm wrong....
Using a good quality Lenspen on a sensor is ok?
No matter which brand?
Bartman
Old 01-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Bart,

I would only ever use an authentic Lenspen.

There's heaps of knockoffs available. I think from memory there's a warning on the Lenspen site mentioning to steer clear of knockoffs.

At the end of the day, they might be a bit more expensive (it's the shipping that kills it), but, you know you're getting the real deal. Anything else, while looking the same, may cause damage to your lenses. Or, sensor, if you're game.

H
Old 01-03-2012, 08:13 AM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Thanks H,
I think I just might leave it to the Pros then,,,,,
I have a "lenspen" with the circled 'R' and only have used it a couple of times on the front of my lenses...not my sensor...
Will look into it further....
Thanks again H
Bart
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 AM
S Fletcher (Steve Fletcher)

I didnt know there were knocks offs of the Lenspen, only that there are 2 types, one for lenses, and one for sensors. Make sure its a Lenspen SensorKlear, and not the lens cleaning version. I wouldnt touch a knock off. Why is postage so expensive to Oz ? I could buy a few and send them there if anyone wanted, im in UK as of tomorrow for a week, i think they are about £11, and postage cant be much as they weigh nothing.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Poita (Peter)

It costs about $30 for the SensorKlear including freight.
Not sure if they are cheaper at actual shops.

http://www.digidirect.com.au/accesso...sensor_cleaner
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Lots of information there.Thanks gentleman,I'll give the visiting sensor cleaning the wide berth.I'll look into this DIY bit,and look at purchasing a proper brand 'lens stick' thingy,and look at some tutorials,and decided from there.
Sounds like plenty of unhappy campers with the send away to pro shop.I always thought cleaning the 4 inch Vicky lens was voodoo and should not be done by me.But I did it and it has not run off the rails.So will be looking into the advice given here.

Really good to have this forum to learning about these aspects of our equipment.

Cheers Chris