Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 16-01-2007, 11:47 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnicholls View Post

Literally above - ie higher in the sky towards the zenith, with the same azimuth. Very hard on the neck and shoulders

DN
Many thanks, time to get out the comfy lay-back chair, but I have to find a location to block the sun.
Old 16-01-2007, 11:52 AM
dcnicholls

Depending on how steady your hands are, you could try what I did - cut 2 pieces of post office cardboard tube about 120-150mm long, and tape them to the front of your binocs. I gave mine a quick spray with matt black quick dry paint to reduce scattering. With the tubes attached, you can get closer to the Sun without brilliant internal scattering. A bit more dangerous than having the Sun hidden by eaves, however.

DN
Old 18-01-2007, 09:57 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Morning Comet Map

This map shows comet 2006 P1 from Sydney at 6am in the morning.
It shows the altitude correctly, but not the star background.
The Sun is the circle just below the horizon in the gray area.
The comet's path is shown for the next 21 days.

Refrence: SkyMapPro
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sydney 6am.jpg)
90.9 KB172 views
Old 18-01-2007, 04:42 PM
astronomy

Hi I am Alexander and I am 13 years old. I am deeply interested in Astronomy so if you have any infomation that you think I might be interested in could you please send to my e-mail witches19@hotmail.com

Thank You
Alexander
Old 18-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Miki64

any chance to get a map for Fiji- latitude 17 South?
Have been watching for several days now but no success- to low, to many clouds?
Miki
Old 19-01-2007, 08:14 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

This map is for Fiji at sunset. It shows the comets path for the next 3 weeks.
The Sun is the yellow circle below Mercury and the map is grey below the horizon.

From SkyMapPro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Fiji 643pm.jpg)
84.0 KB85 views

Last edited by glenc; 19-01-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 19-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Miki64

thanks a lot Glen,
Miki
Old 20-01-2007, 10:24 PM
astronomy

Thanks for your infomation I got some nice pictures of McNaught
Quote:
Originally Posted by fringe_dweller View Post
Michael Mattiazzo has a page with chart for this comet at

http://www.yp-connect.net/~mmatti/

he says 'On Jan 15, the comet is closest to the earth at a distance of 0.82AU but it is still only 7 degrees away from the Sun. After sunset however, observers should attempt to view the comets gas (ion) tail as it appears perpendicular to the horizon and, if sufficiently long enough, may be glimpsed from a dark sky site through binoculars!'

[edit by iceman]
- For images and pictures: thread here
- For general discussion about the comet: thread here
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1988.jpg)
66.4 KB68 views
Old 22-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Ritix

Please, helm me with Celestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian musgrave View Post
G'Day All

You've already pointed out the alt/az vs Ra/Dec thing, but I'd like to point out that it's a good idea to remember to click the Map Time button in SkyMap Pro, or it defaults to plotting postions at midnight.

I have a handy downloadable - B&W printable map at Southen Skywatch. If anyone want's I can make PDF versions available.
And I've created a Celestia SSC file for any Celestia users out there, download it here.
Hi man!
I'm a Chilean user followin very close this case... I'm just fascinated. I saw McNaught on January 20th, and it look just wonderful.

I'll get straight to the point. I'm a Celestia 1.4.1 user. I pasted the script you gave us in "comets.ssc". Now I'm available to see McNaught. But I can't see its orbit. Also, I can't click on it to see its info. Please, if anyone can help me, I'll be very pleased.

I'll attach an image, so you can see my problem.

[img=http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9649/mcnaught2pg.th.png]

The Red elypse is Earth's orbit. Near to it, in the left, there's a comet (that's Mcnaught...) But where is its orbit? and its info?

Please, help me ^^

Last edited by Ritix; 22-01-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 23-01-2007, 02:50 AM
DrewR

Hey guys,

I am at a meer age of 15, but am a very avid photographer, I have heard about this comet and VERY keen to snap a shot of it. It is now Tuesday the 23rd of Jan 2007 and I was wondering when the BEST time to view this comet over Brisbane city would be (or will it even be visable over Brisbane city in its fading stages due to too much light?) Please just standard AM or PM time, I don't really follow all that "space talk" too well. :-/ I am planning on heading up today/tonight. Does anyone know if it will be very visable?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated. If i manage to snap a shot I will post it up.

Thank you
Drew.
Old 23-01-2007, 06:57 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

The best time for Brisbane is 7:30pm to 9pm. Look in the south west just above the horizon. Avoid bright lights and you need a good SW horizon.
Old 23-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Rigel's Child

Question Late viewer

Hi
sorry to join so late into the find McNaught game but i was wondering if i am too late to view this beautiful sight? I live in melbourne's western suburbs (.
any help would be apprec. i have seen the charts but am new to this, & am even without my scope due my tripod being injured at this time (by someone other than myself - i have now learnt to supervise a little better).
thx

Dani
Old 24-01-2007, 01:10 AM
mojo (Terry)
iceinspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel's Child View Post
Hi
sorry to join so late into the find McNaught game but i was wondering if i am too late to view this beautiful sight?
Yep. Sure can. It was visible tonight, if but for 10 minutes because of the clouds. But others in the south eastern suburbs and Ballarat got a clear view. If you look SW, you should still be able to see it after sunset (if the clouds don't get in the way).
Old 24-01-2007, 08:19 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Glen.

Can you please post an updated chart for Sydney area for the next week?

Thanks
Old 25-01-2007, 12:57 AM
rossie

I live in the SE Suburbs of Melbourne and for 2 nights now I have been trying to locate this comet and would really like some help to locate it - I am new to this and the maps whilst look great I am unfamiliar with and hence my difficulty
I started watching from sunset for the next 1, 1/2 hours/2 hours until after 10.30 in the SW direction but saw nothing
Tonight I went to the beach at Mentone with an unobstructed view and no lights and agains saw nothing in 2 hours
Help please - could some kind person be very specific & simple in detail to help me locate it - thankyou
Old 25-01-2007, 01:03 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

OK rossie, let's see what we can do to help.

First - a group of 30 or more people, some with binoculars, are sure to spot the comet. Many eyes etc..... And you can be sure that it's the spouse or family member, dragged along unwillingly, who spots it first and is the most excited person of the night!

However, when first spotted, it will look much like the attached photo - a fuzzy patch of light - perhaps something trailing behind it. While the sky is darkening, it can be easily missed - and this photo is from a couple of nights ago - it is not as bright now.

So, how to get a group of 30 people? Why don't you head down to the Bayside - look at this thread about Bighton Beach - seems you have lots of eyes to help here (get there early for parking??).

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=16759

Second - whether you get together with others or not, let's try to point you in the right direction.

The comet is sitting there in the sky, moving pretty well the same as the movement of the Sun and stars as the earth rotates. So it gradually will drop to the west and set as the Sun did and as Venus did before it. I'm not right on top of the details, but from the time you first see it - probably around 9:15-9:30pm - until the nucleus sets is around an hour. The last bit of the tail you can see sets in another hour?

Now, get in position early with a clear view to where the sun is setting and a good bit to the south (left) of that. That's one reason I suggest the eastern side of the bay - the horizon is clear. You need to get your direction right.

You want to be able to observe where the sun sets and it will set around 8:39pm tonight. Without looking straight at the sun (BLINDNESS!), observe its direction - you will see it is moving towards our left as it sets and continues to move left below the horizon. This is useful because the comet's tail points away from the sun so if you have an idea where the sun is (below the horizon) you are pretty sure when you see something that you think has a tail if the tail is pointing away from the sun.

Now you still won't see the comet yet, probably not until around 9:30 with your eyes, perhaps 9:15 with a set of binoculars of around 10 magnification.

Let's look for Venus. So, to the right of where the Sun set, and up in the sky a fist or two (hold your fist out at arm's length to measure), a bright "star" will come into view as it darkens - probably quite clear by 9pm. That's Venus. Now go about three times to the left of the sunset, as Venus is to the right of the sunset, and about three times higher in the sky than Venus is high in the sky and you are in the right region. So we've gone further left (towards South) and up in the sky. Just patiently scan that part of the sky. Relax, it will appear by 9:30, 9:45 at the latest. In the meantime, note what Venus is doing, the direction it appears to be moving relative to the horizon, because the comet is going to move in the same direction, down and to the left. This helps you be sure you've picked the right spot to sit/stand. No good if the comet moves left behind a tree or building while it is setting!

To photograph it, you'll need a camera on something steady, say a tripod or a cushion on a chair/car/fence, and be able to open the shutter for up to 10 seconds (often a "B" setting). Turn the flash off.

[Ignore the moon, if you wish. It's now fairly high up in the sky to the north (right) of the sunset. (But have a look if someone offers you a look through binoculars). The moonlight is making the sky brighter and reducing the amount of the tail you can see.]

Good luck! Give us a report!

OK, for those you you out there with more accurate directions, please post - I'm guessing a little, but I'm sure what I have suggested gets well into the target area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2007-01-22 #07 - small.jpg)
104.8 KB67 views

Last edited by erick; 25-01-2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: I kannot spel
Old 25-01-2007, 05:31 PM
albys

erick, you're a champion!
I'm another non-astronomer blow-in with an interest in spotting McNaught, and having made a fruitless visit to an unseasonably chilly St Kilda last night (Wednesday), your "idiot's guide" is just what I needed! I think we may have given up too early (9.30) as I was under the impression that the comet would be visible not too long after sunset. Venus had been clear for a while, but no McNaught. Actually there was a pretty substantial band of clouds low in the sky, so maybe that was the problem. Anyway it seems that if I start later and wait longer, something might appear. Maybe.

thanks again!
Old 25-01-2007, 07:38 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thumbs up to Eric!

Actually, it deserves 2
Old 25-01-2007, 08:09 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Thumbs up to Eric!

Actually, it deserves 2
Better wait for reports from later tonight or tomorrow - might be thumbs down.

Last edited by erick; 25-01-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 25-01-2007, 10:54 PM
albys

No, it's from me!
A successful viewing tonight, such beautifully clear skies that I spotted McN (and got some nice pics with my none-too-fancy digital cam) even in the well-lit surroundings of inner-city Fitzroy. Well, getting into the middle of an oval did the trick. Quite a buzz to set eyes on the thing. "Be patient" is indeed the key!