Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 16-10-2018, 08:35 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Thanks TP, for the encouragement
I would love to keep the beach block but it costs about $20,000au a year and getting no use except a few nephews a couple of times a year. We lived there for about 8 years but circumstances change and now we are 600km away.
I've even got a basic observatory there with an empy pier at the moment.
It's just time vs $ and at the moment I've got no time and no $!
It will work in the long run and then it's time to slow down and stop and look at the little things along the way.
Cheers
Andy
Old 16-10-2018, 08:43 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
I don't know how to start this or even mention it, but i want to see how this will go so far with others as much it is nice to know sometimes.

Assume that you have equipment right now that is not high end yet but it is not very cheap as well, and you gained somehow say maximum $10k, what will be your next wish list or plan for equipment then?

For 10k, I would invest in EQ8 (or larger), permanently mounted on a pier.

Last edited by bojan; 16-10-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 16-10-2018, 09:45 AM
sn1987a (Barry)

Put it all on red and let it ride. Sydney or the bush!
Old 16-10-2018, 10:10 AM
casstony

If we're talking wish list versus reality, I'd replace my AVX mount with a Vixen SXP; it seems that the SXP is very capable but not too heavy.

I'm hoping Celestron will release a lighter weight version of the CGX as a mount I can actually afford to upgrade to.
Old 16-10-2018, 12:04 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
If we're talking wish list versus reality, I'd replace my AVX mount with a Vixen SXP; it seems that the SXP is very capable but not too heavy.

I'm hoping Celestron will release a lighter weight version of the CGX as a mount I can actually afford to upgrade to.
a CGEM?
Old 16-10-2018, 12:22 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
a CGEM?
CGEM is too heavy for me; a smaller capacity, lighter weight CGX with the spring loaded worms and improved latitude adjustment would be good.
Old 16-10-2018, 03:55 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
If we're talking wish list versus reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
I already have a shopping list with prices. Of that $10,000, I'd be spending $2165 on kit.
The majority of items comprising my list, is stuff I could purchase as individual items over the course of a number of pension cheques. The sole large lump sum that would require saving for is the 127mm Mak kit. So it's less wish list and more in the realms of what could actually be purchased over the course of a year list.
But acquiring that $10,000 and being able to purchase the lot in one go, still would be nice.
Old 17-10-2018, 02:01 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Thank you very much!

Sounds nice to hear others comments or ideas.

I decided if i get this budget is to buy a nice scope, premium or not not sure, but i feel i better go with premium so i will never look back and it will be like a wise decision for lifetime, mostly premium scopes are hard to beat or to replace if it will serve your needs, so i will start with that and later i will see what else i can get with remaining budget or even if it will increase again.
Old 17-10-2018, 03:24 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

For me, physical space needed for use, ease of setting up and storing, OTA weight and mount compatibility, and how much space is needed for storing, are the limiting factors in what telescope kit I'd get. Price tag isn't.
If I knew of what premium OTAs would work with my weight and space limits, I'd definitely want to check those out.
I'd like to consider better eyepieces, but there is a weight limit that comes into play with the plate the helical focuser is mounted on, on the 130P. About 250g. Too heavy an eyepiece, or eyepiece and Barlow, and that plate starts bending, throwing collimation and focus out.
Old 17-10-2018, 05:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Mmmm I think I have reached that figure in the last 12 months☺ all the money saved from not keeping the boat.
Alex
Old 17-10-2018, 06:02 PM
h0ughy (David)

I think you need to see what interests you, then that may guide you through what you need. If your in a city and can't get away then work out if it's visual or imaging you like.

A refractor and a good Mount which is portable for you, or easy to set up. Being in the uae I have no experience as to your skies, but an ed80 is a great starting scope which can then progress to be a great guide scope later. Maybe a eq6 for a nice Mount to start with, or a losmandy g11 but thatcreallyvcomes down to your preferences
Old 17-10-2018, 10:00 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Being in the uae I have no experience as to your skies
Unfortunately where I am in Brisbane, I have the 'fun' of skies light polluted to Bortle 8.
For me, heading bush, to the decent regional dark sites, is highly unlikely to happen, and would remain so, even if I did get that $10,000.
Old 18-10-2018, 04:34 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

I live in suburban or city yes, light polluted, but i can get a glimpse of some targets of DSO, and DSO imaging is my priority, but i just included solar system imaging to my plan too, so planets and sun/moon are not a problem at all.

I think after some thinking i will start with a premium scope, expensive, so i will never look back to upgrade later, a premium mount can wait, then i will see what else i can buy after this scope with the remaining budget.
Old 18-10-2018, 05:02 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

You're better off getting a premium mount first. If you use a mount that isn't up to the task then your premium telescope will never live up to what it can do.
Old 18-10-2018, 11:25 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
You're better off getting a premium mount first. If you use a mount that isn't up to the task then your premium telescope will never live up to what it can do.

That is absolutely true, but it will be the same if i have a premium mount but my scope is just crap then it is like pointless to have a premium mount first place, my imaging scope is ST80, this is like a CRIME to buy a premium mount to use it with my ST80, while a premium scope will do a great job with my current mount which is not bad anyway, i am sure i will do A LOT with a premium scope and my current mount than a premium mount with my ST80, think about it and you will know that i am RIGHT.
Old 19-10-2018, 05:58 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post

Absolutely true.

There is a saying "the chain is as strong as the weakest link".. and in our case (AP) it is almost always the mount. Especially when the mount is much more expensive part of the whole system
Old 19-10-2018, 09:30 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

I said that is true, but what is holding me back is that the mount is still new, only last year i bought it and i didn't use it much yet to understand it, so a new premium mount now is like too early, although i know that i should get that first, but there is a mount in my mind that is maybe not top premium but it rated for really nice capacity payload, i will plan to get that later after i get the premium scope, i saw many using that premium scope on same of my mount currently i have which means it can do the job, i don't have any good scope for DSO except my Newtonian, but this is medium to long views, it won't be good enough for many wide field targets, so a scope now is likely first priority.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:23 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I had a similar decision once and went with a purchase I couldn't justify myself ever saving towards to buy. Go for a decent tripod mount and spend it all on just that, no extras. the extras you can pick up later. But a good mount will last a lifetime, even if you have crap scopes to put on it now. No matter what you do with telescopes it all starts with the "base" a solid, accurate mount solution. Its always a requirement. OTAs are always improving, cameras improving FAST, but a well engineered mount you can use today and in ten years time. if you seriously think you'll get a 2m scope then nothing you buy at 10k today is going to be of use at that stage except education.
Old 22-10-2018, 09:53 AM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
the mount is still new, only last year i bought it and i didn't use it much yet
Maybe you should sell it now while it still has good value?
It seems most people here are advising you to get the best possible mount, as this will be the foundation for everything else, and there's a lot of experience in these forums to draw upon.
Just my 2c...
Cheers
Stephen
Old 22-10-2018, 12:21 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

The question is, which premium mount then? and which one that can be around $10k and it will be for lifetime and can handle up to 50kg? and only brand new? answer this then the mount will be my first choice over a scope.