Old 05-03-2019, 07:41 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
That's a very thorough service Mike. All bits all coming together - you must be very excited to start imaging again I myself can't wait for the dry season...in the meantime, there is always...

EDIT: 9 years! That's impressive. And it is still an ultimate sensor (and the camera) for any amateur astrophotographer. Here is to another 9 years of problem-free functioning of the camera!
Yep, the camera looks like new. Pick up the moded bits from the machinist on Friday, cleaning the optics of the AG12 on Saturday and then should be able to finally set her all back in the observatory on Sun/Mon (Mon is a public holiday here in Canberra )

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Happy FLImite.jpg)
136.8 KB32 views
Old 05-03-2019, 08:18 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yep, the camera looks like new. Pick up the moded bits from the machinist on Friday, cleaning the optics of the AG12 on Saturday and then should be able to finally set her all back in the observatory on Sun/Mon (Mon is a public holiday here in Canberra )

Man that's a big sucker!

(nice camera too.....)
Old 09-03-2019, 06:22 PM
SuperG

I'm a little confused here. I expect that Flooding the camera compartments with argon will only reduce air for a very short period of time. I also doubt that any amateur camera has gas-tight seals. I would then think the argon would probably leak within an hour to be replaced by air. If it is to purge the camera parts of moisture then maybe that's enough in conjunction with a desiccant.

I'm not meaning to be a nay-sayer but as I say to a lot of people. If it works then don't change it.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:12 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I'm a little confused here. I expect that Flooding the camera compartments with argon will only reduce air for a very short period of time. I also doubt that any amateur camera has gas-tight seals. I would then think the argon would probably leak within an hour to be replaced by air. If it is to purge the camera parts of moisture then maybe that's enough in conjunction with a desiccant.

I'm not meaning to be a nay-sayer but as I say to a lot of people. If it works then don't change it.
Many astro cameras are gas-tight, and it takes years for the gas to leak. QSI, FLI, ATIK 16200, SX-46 and 56 models, perhaps SBIG and MORAVIAN just to name a few I know of. Eventually though argon leaks from the camera and thus normal air gets in. Since these cameras are designed to have argon within the chamber and work better with it, hence imagers either refill their cameras themselves or send their beloved cameras on a long trip for refilling at the factory.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:56 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post

Power ports, usb ports and din plugs on the camera bodies are usually pass through and not sealed but I think you can assume once the plugs are in then the air gap is negligible. Unless the camera compartement being 10s of degrees under ambient is enough to create a pressure differential that would make a small vaccuum to suck ambient air in? Is that what you reckon could happen? I purge my cameras for one imaging session or sometime a few nights and haven't had any issue between recharges but I've never explicitly measured anything so I don't know how long it'd last. I did 3 nights with the QHY8 once with no dewing or icing.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:04 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Thanks for the post Suavi, my winesaver pro arrived yesterday. My son thought I was going mad - getting a wine related delivery that wasn't from the hunter valley
Old 12-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Please let us know how it works for you Chris.

One advantage of this solution is that unlike argon from Bunnings, winesaver can be used to justify purchasing a few bottles of fine fermented grape juice, be it from hunter, barrosa, mclaren...
Old 03-04-2019, 08:02 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Well that worked a treat. I was getting frost/ice on the sensor unless I cooled really slowly. Sometimes it could take 60min or an extra cycle up to 0C and back. With the argon I've a had three frost free nights of faster cooling. Now to try it on the wine

Last edited by ChrisV; 03-04-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Well that worked a treat. I was getting frost/ice on the sensor unless I cooled really slowly. Sometimes it could take 60min or an extra cycle up to 0C and back. With the argon I've a had three frost free nights of faster cooling. Now to try it on the wine
Great news Chris. I think this wine preserver presents an elegant and easy way to refill the camera with pure Argon, plus you get to test the remaining Argon on various samples of fermented grape juice