Old 20-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Rigel003 (Graeme)

RGB binned, unbinned

I have some high quality Ha data I want to add RGB to. Is there a preference for 1x1 or 2x2 (which I would normally use for LRGB) capture for the RGB in terms of making the processing more effective, compatibility of star sizes etc?

Last edited by Rigel003; 23-01-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Rigel003 (Graeme)

No response so far. Can anyone give me an idea of pros and cons here? And in more general terms, is there an argument for unbinned colour data in LRGB, perhaps on certain objects? Is anyone shooting 1 x 1?
Old 23-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Paul Haese

As you know I use binned for my RGB data Graeme. I use it to speed up the collection process but have considered doing 1x1 for all my subs. The idea of binned is most likely a legacy left over from slower camera downloads and gathering image brightness faster. With the download rate of your camera it would be fine to use unbinned.

Certainly one advantage of unbinned is combining narrow band data with colour data. No doubt there are other advantages. I'll leave that for others to comment.
Old 28-01-2012, 10:01 PM
gregbradley

I usually use 1x1 for luminance and 2x2 for rgb. I use 1x1 for everything if I am after detail in a faint detailed object usually a galaxy. You can then also desaturate the rgb data and add it to the luminance for a little bit extra signal to noise.

I find binning Ha workable with my CDK17 and 16803 camera - also the 8300 based camera for that matter.

Binning 2x2 increases signal to noise ratio by about double for same exposure time (varies with the camera).

The idea of binning colour is the fact that changes in colour in an image don't usually have harsh/sharp boundaries whereas details in luminance do hence 1x1 for luminance and 2x2 for rgb.

Additionally if the seeing is poor 2x2 simulates a larger pixel and reduces the arc sec's per pixel angle of view per pixel and thus a bit less sensitive to showing the blur from the poorer seeing.
So 2x2 binning makes sense in nights of poorer seeing or simply use a widefield scope for imaging on those nights and use the long focal length scope only on the better seeing nights.

Greg.