Old 03-08-2020, 10:58 AM
nsavage (Nick)

ASI071MCC Pro or 1600MM Pro?

Looking to hear opinions regarding the two camera options.

Yes I know one is OSC and the other is Mono but at the same time the 071MC Pro has 14 bit ADC vs 12 in the 1600, Larger well depth and a larger sensor.

I guess the question is partially do you think that the newer OSC's are as good as or better than mono?

Initially I will be pairing with a Skywatcher 200/1000 newtonian. Have not shot mono before, typically have limited time and need to setup and pack down for each imaging session.

From what I have seen and read it takes no longer to shoot mono over OSC realistically either.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:42 AM
sunslayr (David)

Mono will almost always out class osc, the ability to filter out all light except what you're interested without any loss in quality can not be matched in my opinion. The only situation I can see where it would not be clear is when there is an extreme difference in resolution, like 4x. Or maybe if you only shoot mono rgb.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:39 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Maybe figure out if you want an ocs or mono camera first. That maybe should be the first consideration? There is a range of options for each. These cameras also have different size sensors - aps-c v 4/3".

Just to add, there is an aps-c sized camera in the pipeline from qhy (I think from them).
Old 03-08-2020, 01:33 PM
nsavage (Nick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Maybe figure out if you want an ocs or mono camera first. That maybe should be the first consideration? There is a range of options for each. These cameras also have different size sensors - aps-c v 4/3".

Just to add, there is an aps-c sized camera in the pipeline from qhy (I think from them).
I am fairly confident that I am going to go down the Mono route. I guess I am only looking for confirmation that the newer OSC's with teh deeper wells and 14-bit are not starting to overtake the mono cameras in their ability.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:35 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I've been shooting both OSC and mono for a number of years and the resolution difference isn't that great. Due to debayering and interpolation you do potentially lose some resolution but it isn't 4x; far closer to 2.4x.

Where a mono camera can effectively image down to about 1.6-1.7 pixels but that's only if you're shooting with shorter focal lengths. As you're thinking of pairing it with a 1000mm telescope:

At what is generally seeing on the better side of average... 2 arcsec ... an ASI1600 will have stars at 2.5 pixels. The ASI071 has larger pixels so under the same seeing it'll cover 2 pixels but after debayering and interpolation it'll resolve closer to 2.36 arcseconds or about average seeing.

Now you can do CFA drizzle integration which does help mitigate this to some extent but my experience has been that it helps with colour rendition more so than getting closer to 2 pixels rather than the 2.4 pixels.

Where mono trounces OSC is with narrowband imaging.