Old 17-04-2020, 08:47 AM
jayconnor (Jay)

Protection cases

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased myself a HEQ5pro and have myself already a bt200 f/5.

Now my question is that i want to keep these in great condition away from the dust. What does every use to keep them safe?

I was thinking a black type of plastic case with foam in there?

Kind Regards Jay.
Old 17-04-2020, 09:51 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Jay
The only advice is both should be stored in a cool dry place , not in a garden shed , preferably in a garage or in the house
Scope should have its end lid kept on
All my rigs are stored in the garage with just a Bunnings cotton or calico painters drop sheet over them ( avoid nylon or plastic drop sheets as they don’t breath and can cause mildew)

Obviously the scope is more important to keep dust off than the mount . The mount is pretty robust and a bit of dust won’t hurt it , only moisture and humidity can cause some surface rust in the threads etc. Just give all the bolt threads on the mount a quick spray with “WD40 Lithium grease spray” available from Bunnings

My 2 cents .....
Old 17-04-2020, 01:00 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Jay,

Have a look around this website and I am sure you will find something the right size.

https://www.carryitcases.com.au/

"Storm" and "Pelican" cases are the best. They are now made by the same company. They are slightly different but both top shelf. I have 2 Storm cases and 3 Pelican Cases. The Pelican Cases are probably a little thicker than the Storm Cases but I prefer the catches on the Storm cases.

By warned, they are expensive. One large enough to hold a HEQ5 Pro will probably cost 40% of the cost of the mount, if not more.

If you hunt around on different websites you will find some cheaper "Asian" knock offs of these that will be a lot cheaper and probably adequate, if your not taking the mount swimming with you.

I had a friend in the USA who had his very expensive eyepiece collection in its Pelican Case washed/blown away by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. His eyepieces were returned to him by a good Samaritan some 10 weeks later all in pristine condition in their Pelican Case, which itself was unmarked. The moral of the story? You usually get what you pay for !

Cheers
John B
Old 17-04-2020, 02:05 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I’ve got most of my equipment in Pelican and Storm cases, both are excellent and complementary on case sizes.
I figured that if I have a car accident my equipment will survive unscathed even if I don’t haha
Old 17-04-2020, 07:41 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

What people can do with "VERY Protected" items in cases in accidents they will die in? So they live their items safe after death? hahaha