Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives

Old 23-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

EOI Kasai Trading 2x40mm ultrawide angle binoculars.

I'm talking to Kasai about getting some of these nifty binoculars in a group order.

Aegina review the old 2.3x version here:

https://agenaastro.com/kasai-trading...ield-view.html

They've quoted me some good prices that should put a pair well under $200ea if I can get a group order.

Anyone interested? PM me.
Old 23-05-2020, 11:46 PM
ariefm71 (Arief)

don't forget the goggles https://agenaastro.com/kasai-trading...no-goggle.html
Old 24-05-2020, 02:54 AM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

I'm ordering direct from the manufacturer. I can get the goggles too while I'm at it.
Old 24-05-2020, 07:34 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

These look intriguing. Has anyone actually looked through a pair? Can you describe the view?
Old 24-05-2020, 05:38 PM
BigNoel (Noel)

@OneCosmos - I have a pair of 2.3x 40mm I picked up from AliExpress though no longer available they were a similar price to whats being mentioned here.
These are great 'lounging' binoculars for a dark sky site they are lightweight and give a good boost to the number of stars and amount of objects able to be seen. The Milky Way become more prominent, as do the magellenic clouds and the brighter 'smudges' of globular clusters.
I'll admit I use my saxon 7x50s more; these are 1/3 of the price though are heavier and a narrower field of view. I normally use the binos to help locate objects in the sky to then target with my telescope.
If you want to sit back and explore the constellations these lower power 2.3x (or 2x) 40mm fit the bill nicely.
Old 24-05-2020, 08:40 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNoel View Post
@OneCosmos - I have a pair of 2.3x 40mm I picked up from AliExpress though no longer available they were a similar price to whats being mentioned here.
These are great 'lounging' binoculars for a dark sky site they are lightweight and give a good boost to the number of stars and amount of objects able to be seen. The Milky Way become more prominent, as do the magellenic clouds and the brighter 'smudges' of globular clusters.
I'll admit I use my saxon 7x50s more; these are 1/3 of the price though are heavier and a narrower field of view. I normally use the binos to help locate objects in the sky to then target with my telescope.
If you want to sit back and explore the constellations these lower power 2.3x (or 2x) 40mm fit the bill nicely.
Thanks. I have put my name down for a pair -something of a novelty I suspect that will be used a few times and then rarely big that’s astronomy for you.
Old 25-05-2020, 11:33 AM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

I am happy to say that there has been a good amount of interest, and I've requested a quote from Kasai for 10 pairs of binoculars, plus quotes on the goggles.

The cost of the order doesn't look too exorbitant, and I'm willing to fund it myself initially (I'm not going to demand up front payment), because it looks like I have enough interest to offload most of the ten immediately, and I'll be able to make a few bucks on any spares by selling them on eBay, or just give them out as gifts.

Cost to members of the group buy will simply be "at cost" for whatever I pay including a share of the shipping, for pickup in Perth. Anyone not able to pick up will also pay shipping for me to mail them to Sydney or wherever.

I have sent them (Kasai Trading) the following email today:

"I have announced a group buy at my astronomy club, there has been a fair bit of interest.

I have had some concerns raised by members about the limited diopters range making them unsuitable for shortsighted people to use without spectacles, however I note that you did an update which improved this:*http://www.kasai-trading.jp/widebino28neoexe.html*
How many diopters adjustment does the new 2.0x40 model allow?

Can you send me a specifications sheet showing the field of view, weight, accessories available (like straps, goggles, filter mounting) for the new model?*

Can you tell me a quote for 10 pairs of binoculars? And how much for the goggles too, since several people expressed an interest in that?

Shipping would be to:
<my address>

A cheaper land based shipping method will be fine, as long as the package is well protected from abusive postal workers!"
Old 25-05-2020, 03:51 PM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

Their reply to my latest email gives the specs for the 2x40 version. A 5 diopter focus is better than the old 4 one, but the previous model had 6. I've asked them if they have the previous ones still around with the 6 diopter focus, and the goggles.

Once I've figured out prices I'll contact everyone who has expressed an interest, who can confirm which model they want, and place an order.

I've got well over 5 already, they're not giving a cheaper price for 10, but presumably shipping will be cheaper.

Travis

"1) The limited diopter for CS-BINO 2x40 is about -5.
2) The specifications are following:

Clear Aperture: 40mm
Power: 2x
Field of View: 24-degree
Coating: Fully Multi-Coating

Max. Dimensions: 121mm x 37mm x 50mm

Weight: 230g

Interpupillary Distance: 56.5mm - 71.5mm
Diopter Range to focus infinity: > -5 diopter
Focusing mechanism: IF
Standard Accessories: Semi-Hard Carrying Case & Neckstrap

3) The unit price for 10pcs order is the same as for 5pcs - JPY8,100/pc.
4) No goggles are supplied for CS-BINO 2x40. No filter adapters, either.(Goggles and filter adapters are available only for WideBino28.)"
Old 25-05-2020, 03:54 PM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

The unit price of 8100 Yen is about $115 Australian dollars. Once we add on GST and shipping it'll come up a bit, but they're really not bad value at this price!
Old 25-05-2020, 06:35 PM
roddz (Rodd)

Price sounds good to me. Count me in.
Thanks
Rodd
Old 28-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

Regarding the $150ish 2x40 model vs the older WideBino28 model:

Dear Mr. Morien:

Hello.

1) CS-BINO 2x40, in short, is a "simplified" version - no goggles or filter adapters are supplied, but it's of course designed mainly for astronomical use and it really can yield good performance to enjoy stellar observations. The lenses are all fully multi-coated to meet astronomy standard.

2) For over 5pcs order, we can offer the following prices:

WideBino28 JPY13,500/pc. (10%off)

M48 Filter Adapters (pair) JPY3,420/pair (10%off)

Concerning Goggles, we are sorry but we can't offer any discount, as this item is custom-made and the factory price is rather high.

Goggles alone JPY8,000/pc., regardless of the order quantity

WideBino28 + Goggles JPY20,500/set., regardless of the order quantity.
Old 16-06-2020, 10:07 AM
mansunz (How)

Mokusatsu was kind enough to lend me the basic version of the 2x40 model for a trial run. I had fun with it and will be investing in a pair. The view is good, noting the stars on the edge are slightly distorted but not too distracting.

I have ordered a go pro head strap with a bike mount and see if i can hack it into goggles.