Old 15-06-2017, 12:00 AM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
One of the nice things in iOS10 is there's a setting to turn the screen red globally - the lock screen and all apps included - so no more blinding yourself.

Only trick to note is to set Sky Safari to monochrome - otherwise any blue text won't show (filtered to black).

No more cellophane )
A neat trick it is too!.

Unfortunately, my iPad mini (which does run IOS 10 and will do that) is rather small for me to comfortably use for viewing charts etc. and the big old iPad that I do use with Sky Safari will only run IOS9 - which doesn't have the option. But I find that turning the brightness right down works fine for me. (I don't really use a sheet of cellophane with an iPad although I do have two torches and a light that work very well with a couple of layers of it ).

I usually keep low lighting on in my shed and retreat into it fairly regularly to sit in more comfort and study the charts, and I find that that (for the kind of viewing I do anyway) it doesn't make a huge amount of difference to my eyes. Nothing like a brightly lit room or a good set of car headlights would. And of course I can also consult all those astronomy books that this thread is about in fairly low light as well.

And after short time back at the scope, by the time I've found my bearings amongst the stars again it's all good again.