Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 18-09-2019, 06:06 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Draft National Light Pollution Guidelines for Wildlife...

Saw this floating around LinkedIn today. The Australian Government Department of the Environment and Energy is developing a draft National Light Pollution Guideline for Wildlife including Marine Turtles, Seabirds and Migratory Shorebirds.

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodi...ion-guidelines

As astronomers/astrophotographers, I know we are also interested in light pollution. Thought you guys might be interested in reading, and perhaps submitting thoughts as interested stakeholders.

Note that submissions close 5pm AEST Monday 30 September 2019.
Old 19-09-2019, 09:03 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hmmm, interesting, particularly if you read my post in another LP thread regarding Cairns.

It concerns me they are touted as 'guidelines' as opposed to legislation though...

Might need to restructure the information I recently submitted to council & submit it to this...

It's not just the effects on marine creatures, excessive LP has effects on all wildlife, flora & human health as well, there are many, many peer reviewed research papers on these issues but, as with other issues, governments seem good at ignoring inconvenient science...