Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Old 31-01-2018, 07:11 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Transit of Io across Jupiters face...Feb 2nd

There will be another transit of Io, Jupiters second brightest, and third largest Moon as viewed from Earth.

At currently just under 1".. you'd need at least a 5 inch plus scope ..preferably a 6 , high power and good seeing to actually resolve it as a disk, and not mag the airy...see Rayleighs and Dawes for your size scope. Ganymede for instance reaches over 1.5" at some apparitions.

Transit is due to commence in Oz
Feb 2 at 00.37am EST...there will also be its shadow transit at 01.33am EST.

Currently at Mag 5.9, Io is the second brightest after Ganymede at 5.5.

Europa, Callisto, and then Ganymede will be further away from Jupiter in that order at that time.

At 5.4 AU , Jupiter at currently 34" and its moons, will appear much bigger soon, when reaching around 5AU when Jupiter will be 40.8" on 15th March.

Of course there may be clouds, as we are currently experiencing around some of NSW and elsewhere , for tonights Lunar Eclipse ...Lets hope not.
PS: Times ..you need to adjust for daylight saving.

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 31-01-2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 31-01-2018, 11:04 PM
Wavytone

Darn... will miss it (wife's birthday).
Old 01-02-2018, 12:48 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Darn... will miss it (wife's birthday).
Wavy..
I'll fill you in..thats if its not cloudy..

Ganymede transits are more spectacular if you miss this; and one wont be far off.
bigjoe.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:00 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Forecast is for Partly Cloudy in the Sydney region for this event ..always good to see if I can resolve it at high power ...many people see ALBEDO effects on Ganymede.

This one would not be big enough I feel at 1".. would need to be 1.5 " like Ganymede and excellent seeing and transperancy...and of course a big, cooled, collimated scope with exceptional optics...to see these Albedo effects.

bigjoe.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Joe, I will be interested to hear your report.

I must admit I have just about given up trying for any of the Jovian moon transit events where the elevation is under about 30 degrees. The shadow transits though, are still relatively straight forward at lower altitudes. I find Earth’s atmosphere just too unpredictable and interfering at lower elevations. The one exception is if it is a significant event or one I am not going to be able to observe at another time at higher altitudes.

I think the elevation will only be 22 degrees at Io’s mid transit point tomorrow morning. I will keep my fingers crossed for you for clear and steady skies.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:36 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Joe, I will be interested to hear your report.

I must admit I have just about given up trying for any of the Jovian moon transit events where the elevation is under about 30 degrees. The shadow transits though, are still relatively straight forward at lower altitudes. I find Earth’s atmosphere just too unpredictable and interfering at lower elevations. The one exception is if it is a significant event or one I am not going to be able to observe at another time at higher altitudes.

I think the elevation will only be 22 degrees at Io’s mid transit point tomorrow morning. I will keep my fingers crossed for you for clear and steady skies.
Wheathered out hear in Sydney for weeks really Steve ..only chance in my new scope was Upsilon Carinae and Alpha centauri through sucker holes.
Sensational images with great contrast..both the best I have ever seen them in average seeing. Wide easy splits with a 3.2mm TS Dual ED .Can't wait to try this scope on all comers...esp the Transits.

Will try my best to do a full report..thats if the clouds go...and the elevation is high enough at the time.
bigjoe
Old 02-02-2018, 01:38 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Re Io transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Wheathered out hear in Sydney for weeks really Steve ..only chance in my new scope was Upsilon Carinae and Alpha centauri through sucker holes.
Sensational images with great contrast..both the best I have ever seen them in average seeing. Wide easy splits with a 3.2mm TS Dual ED .Can't wait to try this scope on all comers...esp the Transits.

Will try my best to do a full report..thats if the clouds go...and the elevation is high enough at the time.
bigjoe
Not looking good Steve, Wavy, All.. so far for tonights Io Transit.

In Sydney, or out Penrith way , were I am at moment...Clouded out ..still will be ready for some cloud breaks ..thats if they occur!

The 130mm TS Photoline FPL 53 Triplet is ready for duty and armed with an Ortho ..Deloi later. !
Looking Bleak here in East Concord.. some breaks ..seeing ordinary 3".
CLEARING towards Centerpoint Tower from a large Balcony at my Sydney home 9.10pm....hope!

Think Ill check out some not too tough doubles for now.

bigjoe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180202_160028.jpg)
199.8 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (20180202_191952.jpg)
165.3 KB13 views
Click for full-size image (20180202_193056.jpg)
187.8 KB13 views
Click for full-size image (20180202_210305.jpg)
75.8 KB12 views

Last edited by bigjoe; 02-02-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Adding pics info
Old 03-02-2018, 12:45 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Of course no luck with the clouds last night, but did do some Doubles hunting in Gemini and Lupus beforehand..when it was less cloudy..which was fruitful at least.

bigjoe.