Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2017, 07:50 PM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
What sort of astro gear is suitable for 3D printing? I could see maybe guide scope or finder lens or EP caps, but what else is it suitable for?
Go to:
http://www.thingiverse.com/
and do a search - lots of astro stuff....

I've done finder mounts for green lasers, finder mounts for a C11. also printed timing pulleys, and even an RC plane from here:
https://3dlabprint.com/

Lots of goodies
cheers
Gary
Old 07-05-2017, 09:05 PM
netwolf

Bojan Gary are you using ABS?
Is there a wat to protect PLA from deforming with heat. I have looked at Polymax seems to offer more flexibility and strength but still has similar issues with heat. With astro gear i am thinking ABS is best still. Maybe better to get a small enclosed printer to start with.

Does the Aldi one have a hotbed?
Old 08-05-2017, 07:06 AM
bojan
amateur

Yes, I am using ABS... and Aldi printer has heated bed.
It also has fan for cooling the filament after deposition.

Look, do not expect your first printout will look flawless... you have to tweak the settings a bit, in my case the filament flow rate was particularly tricky (especially for high percentage of fill).
Also filament cooling - which depends on the size of the printout (if size is small, the printout doesn't have enough time to cool down after depositing the new layer, so cooling is essential, but only after couple of first layers were deposited... because they have to stick properly to the bed, so cooling is not good at that time.

As for closed printer... it is easy enough to add enclosure (for example plywood from Bunnings or perspex..) but based on my experience I don't think this is really necessary (and the internal climate control complicates the things considerably, which means price for such printers go up).
A good thing may be fume exhaust fan and tube to expel them out of the room, they may be unpleasant and potentially harmful (especially from ABS)

Last edited by bojan; 08-05-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:46 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

+1 to Bojan's post.

my aldi printer has dont a stellar job and while many people complain the build area is too small, I cant say I've seen many complainers actually owning a 3d printer. Printer accuracy doesn't translate into "accurate replacement parts" either. My cube tests showed variances just from nozzle temperature changes. Plus finish is nowhere near as good as injection moulding or cnc machining so expect some finishing if thats important and certainly if mating to other parts is important. You also need some understanding of the strength of a 3d print, they are weak along the plane they are printed on, so you may need to orient models if they are expected to stand up to loading. Also because layer adhesion depends on temperature settings and humidity some prints can split apart easy and provide crevices for germs to live so keep in mind if you want to use 3d printing for food storage/serving even though the plastic itself is foodsafe the print itself really isnt. UV breakdown? huh, what uv breakdown? people demanding to use abs because pla will biodegrade, well i only use pla and I put a bunch of critters in my garden last year when I got the first aldi printer and they are still there, unbroken, undissolved.

been researching the original printers and insist the aldi ones need too many upgrades?? bah, the cocoon create was a base wanhao i3 but it came already installed with a good nozzle, nonstick bed surface etc so no upgrades needed an I expect this new one will be similar. claiming pla deforms with heat? no thats abs, not pla. insist you need a glass plate? no you dont. insist you need abs because its better than pla? depends, a lot of people think pla is weak because is "softer" than abs but its not like comparing a brick and a tissue, more a freshly kilned brick verses one that been in the garden bed for years. PLA is plenty strong and stiff for load bearing uses, comparing snapfit models with others pla has enough "give" to allow a good snap fit where abs proved brittle enough to snap. pla can also be too brittle for some tasks too of course, point is the difference between them is small, not the chasm people make it out to be. and from downloading models used in reviews and seeing how they were built without strengthening in mind and badly oriented for printing its no wonder they broke. Then the ignorance filters down into requirement demands from people looking to buy a 3d printer. if you dont comprehend it, the its probably not for you.

no 3d printer at any price is idiot proof, they all require careful setting up and maintenance. This is about as good a printer in working practice as you could hope for at this time development of 3d printers. If you are thinking its as easy as an inkjet printer you are in for a shock. they also take a long time to print, I've had 3 days for a single part and you'll get to know about wasted filament when you are 2 days into a great print and wake up the next day to a half great print covered in spaghetti hair extrusions.

I highly recommend Simplify3D as a slicer, not saying its the best, but at the time I got my CC printer it was miles ahead of the free options I tried. Even if you use another slicer the Simplify3d site has an awesome troubleshooting guide that'll help you understand WHY you're prints are failing, which is essential knowledge for any printer/slicer. Keep in mind 3D printing is still a very very new industry and it hasn't even reached the stage of Model T Ford yet, let alone Rolls Royce.

I also recommend TinkerCAD which does some things better than my Lightwave 3D does which is a couple of versions old so wasnt written with 3d printing in mind. But I can move models between Tinkercad and Lightwave easily to do what I need.

I have my printer in the garage and fumes never a problem, the temperature in there is pretty stable too around the clock so prints are pretty consistent once setting dialed in.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:35 AM
netwolf

thx Bojan and sil looks like il have to queue up at Aldi on Saturday. I wonder if I can convince mum this a a great Mother's Day gift!
Old 09-05-2017, 01:05 PM
billdan (Bill)

I have a Mendel-90 printer that is designed for ABS (no fans on the printhead), and its not enclosed. I use a portable floor heater with a blower, I sit the heater on a bar stool and blow hot air onto the part that's being printed.

Before doing this, sometimes I was getting de-lamination and the parts had shrunk way out of spec. The heater solved both problems.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:31 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

if the aldi printer is partly assembled like the previous one the box should be large enough to open top and bottom and use it as a sleeve to enclose the printer better if you use it in a room with airflow or quick temperature changes. Years ago factory work I did included heat shrinking and every time a truck arrived and the loading dock doors at the other end of the building opened it was enough of a subtle change for the heatshrink plastic to not shrink properly (when door open) or burn (when door closed). its a balancing act at times and if you have pets fur will cause problems too.

Undecided? how about this instead I'm betting even failed prints dont go to waste.
Old 13-05-2017, 06:33 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

I've been looking at getting one of these for years but have always put it off due to the tech still being in the early stages of the product life cycle. However the seem to be getting better and this looks like a steal. So just how sensitive are these to temperature? I'm wondering if it will be OK to print in a garage that has its doors open during the day or would it best to wait and print overnight when they're closed?
Old 13-05-2017, 08:20 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
I've been looking at getting one of these for years but have always put it off due to the tech still being in the early stages of the product life cycle. However the seem to be getting better and this looks like a steal. So just how sensitive are these to temperature? I'm wondering if it will be OK to print in a garage that has its doors open during the day or would it best to wait and print overnight when they're closed?
Might be too late, they went on sale at Aldi at 8:30am today and may be gone already.
Old 13-05-2017, 02:14 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Yeah they certainly flew out the doors. I was lucky to snag the second last one and within seconds another guy took the last one. As for the filament the only colour left was grey.
Old 15-05-2017, 02:22 PM
netwolf

missed out on the Aldi one, bad flu (Going around) and had to prioritize mothers day gift.
Also need to clear an area to put a printer and work out how big i can go. I would like the CR-10 or CR-10S4 but just now sure I have the room for it yet.
Else might have to consider the Kit DIY ones Anet A6 or A8. Anyone used these?

Also how does PET compare to ABS?
Old 15-05-2017, 04:14 PM
netwolf

Bojan I am sure I saw a post by you with some Bathinov masks for Camaera Lenses, if so did you print those Bathinov masks with the 3d Printer?
Old 15-05-2017, 05:15 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Bojan I am sure I saw a post by you with some Bathinov masks for Camaera Lenses, if so did you print those Bathinov masks with the 3d Printer?
Yes I did, they turned out beautifully.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=145306

Last edited by bojan; 15-05-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:21 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
missed out on the Aldi one, bad flu (Going around) and had to prioritize mothers day gift.
Sorry to hear that Wolf. I spoke to one of the Aldi employees when I got mine and he said that they will be getting some more in at a later date, but I'm not sure how true this is.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:23 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Yes I did, they turned out beautifully.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=145306
They look fantastic!
Old 16-05-2017, 12:03 AM
netwolf

Bojan what DIY printer did you get.

Lostinspace, I called Aldi customer service and they are sold out in NSW, also said no plans to restock as this is not there business model its a one off. Who knows they may have more stock to push out lets see. Early reports on Whirlpool indicate print quality out of box is very good.

Maybe Kogan/DS like last time will again bring out some rebranded ones.
Old 16-05-2017, 07:19 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Bojan what DIY printer did you get.
It is my design (do as you go...), frame was based on Qubelok system (400mm cube with diagonal reinforcments on 3 sides to prevent twisting - not shown in attached image, BTW, because the whole thing is on-going project), other parts (shafts, threaded rods, bearings, couplers, heater for bed, printing head) I bought on ebay or found in my drawers (timing belts and pulleys were from old printer/scanner, motors were leftovers from EQ6 mod) ..
Electronics is arduino Mega + Ramps 1.4 (also ebay), firmware and software are from Repetier.

A bit more about it you can find here (not sure you can read the posts... but picture is worth a thousand words)

Prior to this I put together Rep-Rap Prusa kit for my friend (~$400.. and that exercise gave me idea of making my own, cheaper and better one)... was not happy with it because there was no heating for bed, bed plate was bent (not flat, 1mm error in the middle) and the extruder was all plastic, mechanically not very reliable, also no filament cooling.
There were also couple of malfunctions later (heater).

BTW, if I were doing it now, I would go with that Chinese kit (Anet A6 or A8) you mentioned in your earlier post.
You can't possibly buy all parts for the money they want for the whole kit.. and all those parts (and complete printers) are coming from China anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Frame_1.jpg)
124.6 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (Print_mechanism_1.jpg)
89.3 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (Printing.jpg)
35.2 KB19 views

Last edited by bojan; 16-05-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 16-05-2017, 08:21 AM
garymck (Gary)

Not using ABS, using Esun PLA+:

https://www.cubictech.com.au/products/pla-filament-1-75

way better than standard PLA and cheap at $24.95/k

Since using this, never found the need to use ABS

cheers
Gary

Quote:
Bojan Gary are you using ABS?
Is there a wat to protect PLA from deforming with heat. I have looked at Polymax seems to offer more flexibility and strength but still has similar issues with heat. With astro gear i am thinking ABS is best still. Maybe better to get a small enclosed printer to start with.

Does the Aldi one have a hotbed?
Old 16-05-2017, 08:57 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
Not using ABS, using Esun PLA+:
This looks like the same material used for packing pellets (they look like styrofoam but they are not) .. it is also edible.
How does it behave in humid environment?
Old 16-05-2017, 09:30 AM
bojan
amateur

Looking at Cubic Technology website...
Their printer looks OK as well, ~$300... a bit too much for a kit.

My point is, they are all more or less the same... The only, and most important difference is price.... so go for the lowest.
There is always the way to repair/replace/improve, it needed.

Last edited by bojan; 16-05-2017 at 09:43 AM.