Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 26-05-2017, 09:02 AM
billdan (Bill)

How to dither with QHY EZCAP software

This is how I do dithering with the QHY EZCAP software (the older version).

Download from the PHD2 website, the dithering timer application and unzip the file within your PHD2 directory.
http://openphdguiding.org/phd2-dither-app/

Run the PHD_Dither.exe file and config your parameters, e.g max amount of dither in pixels and max settling time, the program will automatically pick up your guidecam image scale (arcsec/pixel) from your PHD2 config file.
You shouldn't need to go back to this file again unless your camera/scope config has changed.

After you have calibrated PHD2 and started guiding, run the PHD2_Dither_Timer.exe file, and set the the timer period for when you want the dithering to start.
You have to set the tiimer to account for the imaging camera exposure time plus its download time.

My QHY12 takes 27sec(0.45mins) to download a frame and if I am doing 300sec subs I would set the timer for 5.45mins. You will have to wait for the first sub in your planner to start downloading before you press start on the timer and then everything gets into sync.

My mount takes 10secs to dither and settle which is well inside the 27sec download time, if your mount takes longer than your download time to settle then adjust the dither parameters to decrease the settling time.

I found this little app very useful and maybe other users who use EZCAP or other capture software that doesn't support dithering may find it useful as well.

Attached is a screen shot when I was testing using 2 min subs, you can see a message that PHD pops up that informs you how much it dithered and the countdown until its settled.

Cheers
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PHD2 Timer resize.JPG)
135.9 KB72 views