Old 30-04-2017, 10:42 AM
coltpeacemaker (Nathan)

Help chose the right Celestron

G/day guys im getting my self a new scope after many years using a small refractor and have nailed it down too these three
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/ce...d-vx-8-edgehd/

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/celestron...telescope.html

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/celestron...telescope.html

Now they all have advantages and disadvantages, for example the celestron vx8 has the EDGE HD ota the celestron CGEM has only the standard ota but the better gem and the CPC EDGE HD 800 has the HD ota gps but is very heavy and no EQ mounts id need a wedge. So what do you feel is the better deal? they are all around the same price so that's no big concern for me, so id love to hear what you have to say! cheers
Old 30-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Nathan, welcome to Ice in Space!

What do you intend to use the scope/mount for?
Old 30-04-2017, 05:55 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltpeacemaker View Post
... CPC EDGE HD 800 has the HD ota gps but is very heavy
The CGEM head and the CPC 800 fork/ota both weigh about the same (~41 pounds) but the CPC is much easier to set up and use in its alt/az form.

If you want to do long exposure imaging a GEM of some sort is best.

If you're only starting out in imaging an 80mm refractor is best.
Old 30-04-2017, 07:58 PM
coltpeacemaker (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Nathan, welcome to Ice in Space!

What do you intend to use the scope/mount for?
Hi mate i want to get into Astrophotography and photograph the usual DSO objects so i guess the CPC 800 edge hd celestron may not be the best for that unless i get the wedge. I'm more interested in clusters, galaxies, nebulae etc. I live in WA and have some property miles from any light pollution so i can get some great viewing out here...cheers
Old 30-04-2017, 08:06 PM
coltpeacemaker (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
The CGEM head and the CPC 800 fork/ota both weigh about the same (~41 pounds) but the CPC is much easier to set up and use in its alt/az form.

If you want to do long exposure imaging a GEM of some sort is best.

If you're only starting out in imaging an 80mm refractor is best.
Ive been into Astronomy for over 20yrs using a 4" reflector but its time to move away from the smaller scopes. I may look at getting a Willams optics 102mm refractor on a SkyWatcher HEQ5 Pro GOTO as i know the insides and out off that mount very well because my brother has one and we take it bush often. Im only buying quality gear no toy scopes, that why i thought about the celestron hd Ill be able to use hyperstar camera setup on it for f/2 images. thanks mate
Old 30-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Hi mate i want to get into Astrophotography and photograph the usual DSO objects so i guess the CPC 800 edge hd celestron may not be the best for that unless i get the wedge. I'm more interested in clusters, galaxies, nebulae etc. I live in WA and have some property miles from any light pollution so i can get some great viewing out here...cheers
OK cool so it's not a setup I would choose if you're just getting astrophotography because of the focal length. Great for planetary imaging but not DSOs to get started with.

Go for a small, fast refractor and you'll no doubt find it much more satisfying. I use a 4" refractor and you can see wildly different views depending on what camera I put on it.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Tasastro (Bill)

Celestron SCT's are usually very good optically, however I would not recommend the CPC mount. I have had a CPC 800 for some time and recently deforked it because of the difficulty of setup. The mount and OTA together are very awkward to pick up and carry and any mishandling can easily result in a smashed telescope. Also the goto and guiding performance is not very good. I can now carry the OTA safely with one hand. I use it on a NEQ6 head, which although heavy is very easily carried separately.

My recommendation would be a Celestron Edge HD 8" with a focal reducer for deep-sky astrophotography on a Skywatcher az eq5 or az eq6 mount. That way you have the easy setup of alt/az for visual or the eq for astrophotography.

Last edited by Tasastro; 01-05-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

PM'd.
Brian.
Quote:
Old 12-05-2017, 07:16 PM
glend (Glen)

I would not recommend anyone start out with a long focal length scope, like the Edge HD8, or any other SCT. Guiding these scopes requires very good setup and understanding of what your doing, it is easy to get in over your head. They are also slow photographically speaking at f10 or f7 reduced. Imho a refractor of say 100mm would give a good starting point, alternatively a small reflector of no more than 8". Aim for a good fast f# to keep your exposure times as short as possible. This approach will minimise your frustration and allow you to actually produce results and learn.
Old 13-05-2017, 10:41 AM
coltpeacemaker (Nathan)

well I end up getting the Celestron cpc800 edge hd and also bought the wedge too and I'm loving the views from it! The moon was razor sharp star clusters look like jewels from it and in very happy with it. I also got the Skywatcher 17ah power tank a Badder Hyperion 21mm, Skywatcher 8mm 70deg eyepiece, Orion edge on planetary 12.5mm plus he 40mm Celestron standard eyepiece! Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0005.JPG)
149.2 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0047.JPG)
148.0 KB28 views
Old 13-05-2017, 10:50 AM
coltpeacemaker (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I would not recommend anyone start out with a long focal length scope, like the Edge HD8, or any other SCT. Guiding these scopes requires very good setup and understanding of what your doing, it is easy to get in over your head. They are also slow photographically speaking at f10 or f7 reduced. Imho a refractor of say 100mm would give a good starting point, alternatively a small reflector of no more than 8". Aim for a good fast f# to keep your exposure times as short as possible. This approach will minimise your frustration and allow you to actually produce results and learn.
I've been doing Astronomy for over 20yrs so I'm not a flyby newbie I've just had sml scopes! At my age it was time I upgraded and I'm so glad I did, cheers
Old 13-05-2017, 11:40 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
I've been doing Astronomy for over 20yrs so I'm not a flyby newbie I've just had sml scopes! At my age it was time I upgraded and I'm so glad I did, cheers
Well sorry. You only show 11 posts in the upper right Posts count, which gives the impression your new to astronomy.
Old 13-05-2017, 11:49 AM
coltpeacemaker (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Well sorry. You only show 11 posts in the upper right Posts count, which gives the impression your new to astronomy.
I understand no dramas I should off given more details about myself and how long I've been involved in Astronomy
Old 17-05-2017, 08:46 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

good buy, I have the 11" edgehd and for visual its just superb. Yes not the ideal scope for my location etc, but no regrets its just awesome. I too used Baader Hyperion eyepieces and found them far superior to the included eyepiece and never felt the need to buy better.
Old 18-05-2017, 06:22 PM
coltpeacemaker (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
good buy, I have the 11" edgehd and for visual its just superb. Yes not the ideal scope for my location etc, but no regrets its just awesome. I too used Baader Hyperion eyepieces and found them far superior to the included eyepiece and never felt the need to buy better.
For the price baader Hyperion are awesome value I got the 21mm and first night I looked a eta carina nebula and could see all the fine details....
Old 23-05-2017, 09:50 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I guess the hyperions are cheap now I think they were around $350ea when I got mine but I wouldnt call them budget. Baader released the Morpheus eyepieces last year I think as a replacement for Hyperion, I dont know if baader still do the hyperion or are just waiting for stocks to filter out. I have the 8, 21 and zoom hyperions. I love the zoom, no noticable quality diference and I hate swapping eyepieces in the dark.