Old 11-08-2014, 11:08 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthomaniac View Post
G'day everyone,
My long standing love of the stars and planets has been re-awakened.
I'm intending to shoot the stars as it were, with my conventional professional photographic equipment. I have the ability to take basic images with good camera, lens and stable tripod, (30s @ 1200mm)... but of course the global rotation is a big problem.
I'm looking for equipment to purchase at the moment to counter that movement as well as pinpoint specific objects to capture, (equatorial mount with GoTo capability - telescope optional at this stage).
Right now, I'm looking for the Delta Aquarids... *sighs* (any assistance is most welcome).
Looking forward to catching up.
Regards,
Pete.
Hi Pete
You have a few options when it comes to mounts that will track the stars. You could go for one of the smaller mounts aimed at DSLRs with photographic lenses like the Vixen Polarie, iOptron SkyTracker, or the AstroTrack.
If you want a bigger mount that you can eventually mount a scope on then it's a bit more complex as you would want an idea of the type of scope you will be using. However you could look at an Skywatcher HEQ5 as a starting point as it will easily handle your DSLR and lenses and will give good results with a moderately sized telescope.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:09 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazz View Post
Hi Folks, its Shazz from Liverpool, Sydney.
Finally I got my Nexstar 8se (thanks to my wife for funding it ), for now, just basic setup with 25mm ep, 2xbarlow and moon filter. here to share and learn more about star gazing.
Hi Shazz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurry View Post
Hello all
Hi Lurry
Old 16-08-2014, 09:15 PM
IC1101

Hey guys!

New to astronomy. In fact I've never ever attempted it before. I've just always wanted to see cool things in space so I did a little research and ended up with a 10" Dobsonian.

Super keen to do some observing once the skies clear in my area!
Old 17-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC1101 View Post
Hey guys!

New to astronomy. In fact I've never ever attempted it before. I've just always wanted to see cool things in space so I did a little research and ended up with a 10" Dobsonian.

Super keen to do some observing once the skies clear in my area!
Hi IC1101,
Welcome to IceInSpace ,
Great choice of scope
Where abouts are you located?
Old 17-08-2014, 07:20 AM
IC1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Hi IC1101,
Welcome to IceInSpace ,
Great choice of scope
Where abouts are you located?
North Western regional Victoria, right along the Murray.

It get's pretty starry here at times and I can get 10km out of town within 10 minutes. Just waiting for a clear sky!
Old 19-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Starlite (John)

New to this site, can I get some help in posting photos to this site from imageshack, what I'm doing for other forums isn't working here. Cheers John.
Old 29-08-2014, 12:44 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
New to this site, can I get some help in posting photos to this site from imageshack, what I'm doing for other forums isn't working here. Cheers John.
Hello, and welcome. I don't use Imageshack, but with PhotoBucket for example I just click on the image symbol (bottom row, 6th from the right) and insert the url for sharing. What do you do on other forums that is not working here?
Edit: Oh, I see from other posts that you have already solved the problem.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Hi All, I'm a new rego although I've been browsing this site as a guest for some time, and I've been an amateur astronomer for a good 35 years since my childhood. In the past I've owned from 4.5" Meade reflectors, 10" Meade DS10's, and most "recently" (i.e. since 1996) a Vixen VC200L/GP-DX I purchased from Claude of AEC when he used to still deal with Vixen back in the 90's.

I've moved from Perth to Tokyo back in 2000 and been living in the land of Vixens & Takahashis for the past 14.5 years, my VC200L is ageing, and I'm thinking of reigniting the astronomy passion again and will be seeking this forum for advice.

Cheers!
A Rusty Amateur Astronomer
Old 10-09-2014, 03:29 PM
mariner10 (Steve)
Mariner10

Hey IC1101,
I own a 10" SN and have always found that size to be the best balance between portability and getting the views I want so probably a good choice.
Where you are you'll have great skies so enjoy it, I reckon there could be some envious people just wishing they could have the dark skies you'll have.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Khuda777 (Damien)

Hi All,
Thought i would pop in and introduce myself.
Located in Aveley, West Aus. New to Astronomy in the sense of looking through a telescope
Just bought myself an "Australian Geographic StarView 150EQ Newtonian Reflector and set it up last night (and what a mission that was), still to colminate and what not (maybe a weekend job).
I can't wait to learn more about Astronomy and go to my first Star Party
Old 03-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Arthane

Hi, am finding myself becoming enthused about Video Astronomy. I wonder if a 4" refractor would be ok?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Ryz (Ryan)

Hi guys

Pretty much got use the Skywatcher down-pat. Really want to move into basic astrophotography (moon/planets), is my only option to get a new set-up?
Old 19-10-2014, 01:35 AM
britgc (Bret)

Hi all,

Finally registered after quite a few months of researching astrophotography on this site and others like it. Thought I should introduce myself a little bit and say thank you for all the great information on the site.
I'm Bret, I'm located just south of Adelaide and I've loved space for as long as I can remember and I've been hooked on the idea of getting into astrophotography some time now too.
I decided it was time I got myself a telescope and I've ended up with a 4" refractor and I'm finally capturing some light with a borrowed Canon 450d.
I will post my first image in the Beginners Astrophotography section shortly

Regards,
Bret
Old 19-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by britgc View Post
Hi all,

Finally registered after quite a few months of researching astrophotography on this site and others like it. Thought I should introduce myself a little bit and say thank you for all the great information on the site.
I'm Bret, I'm located just south of Adelaide and I've loved space for as long as I can remember and I've been hooked on the idea of getting into astrophotography some time now too.
I decided it was time I got myself a telescope and I've ended up with a 4" refractor and I'm finally capturing some light with a borrowed Canon 450d.
I will post my first image in the Beginners Astrophotography section shortly

Regards,
Bret
Welcome Bret,
Congratulations on your new scope, and we hope to hear (and see) lots from your new ventures. I don't practice the "Dark Arts" ( of Imaging), so I can't help much in that area- I will leave that to others, but nice to have you on board thanks for your initial post and intro.
We are (generally) a pretty friendly bunch here, I am sure you will get lots of helpful advice as you progress into the "money pit".
Old 19-10-2014, 11:50 AM
britgc (Bret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Welcome Bret,
Congratulations on your new scope, and we hope to hear (and see) lots from your new ventures. I don't practice the "Dark Arts" ( of Imaging), so I can't help much in that area- I will leave that to others, but nice to have you on board thanks for your initial post and intro.
We are (generally) a pretty friendly bunch here, I am sure you will get lots of helpful advice as you progress into the "money pit".
Thanks Allan. Hehe, I had read many warnings about this "money pit". My budget did indeed grow multiple times and in quick succession. Totally worth all that time saving up though
Old 19-10-2014, 12:37 PM
adaregazer (Graham)

Hello all, just started out and into astro images. I have the following equipment: Canon 1000D dslr camera, T adaptor and 2 x Barlow, 135mm Sky watcher reflector with motor drive and EQ2 mount. Using backyard EOS software and Registax 6 and I've got a selection of eye pieces from celestron. No astro societies around here unfortunately! Was thinking of joining RAS as they have astro camps near where I live.
Old 21-10-2014, 09:49 PM
jarred.carroll (Jarred)

Hello, I have a canon 1000d dslr, im just using that to take photos of basic space stuff like the milky way. I have an exposure of 30 seconds and an aperture of 5, should I change that?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:02 AM
cafuego (Peter)
Take me to your ******

camera settings

You should definitely play around with the aperture, exposure and sensitivity settings (and maybe even noise reduction too) and get a feel for what they do to the resulting photo.

Settings will depend on the lens used too. Smaller f number means you can have shorter exposures OR see fainter objects, but they'll let in more light pollution (unless you're lucky and live somewhere properly dark :-)

It's a digital camera, so take full advantage of that and go nuts taking lots of images with lots of different settings.
Old 18-11-2014, 12:29 PM
blexxx1769 (Ian)
blexxx1769

First Post

Howdy All,
My name is Ian (blexxx1769), a retired ship engineer living on Bruny Island, S.E.Tasmania & surrounded by acres of farmland & bush & not a light to be seen. I've spent years observing the skies thru binoculars but now I have the time & space to take another step. So, step, the next is a 16" Meade LightBridge,now sitting in the shed. A bit much, you might say, but this is what happens when you seek advice from a SDM 22" owner!
'If some's good & more's better, then too much ought to be just about right'. Right!
Anyways, the adventure starts now & going by the enjoyment had by all the IceInSpace readers out there, it'll be big fun.
Time to enjoy the night.
Cheers, Ian. :-)
Old 18-11-2014, 09:10 PM
grasshopper (Tara)

Welcome Ian! Sounds like you are living in a piece of paradise down there in Tassie. Enjoy playing with your new toy and trawling through IIS - I am a newbie too and loving it