Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 AM
The Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
In the end its sound like your husband is a very lucky man to have a wife that is putting in such am effort to buy him a telescope. I have been into astronomy for 25+ years 15 years where with my ex. Not once in the 15years did she ever think of buying astro stuff for me. So what ever you get. I am sure he will love it.
Phil
Thanks Phil! I am pretty excited about it because I know he will get a big shock when he sees it. He'll probably think we got him the Guitar Hero World Tour pack (by the size of the box)! I really want to tell him about this website and everything that I'm learning but I just have to wait another 2 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coen View Post
Dob - Dobsonian: It is a type of mount that is popular because (a) cheap for the aperture it can hold (b) in general robust and (c) simple.
It is basically an alt-azimuth mount and is used for Reflectors. Picture this: Typically looks like a box that is on a restaurant style lazy-susan type arrangement (i.e. a base-plate with turn-table) all of which rests on the ground - so you were almost right . Visit almost any telescope selling web-site and you will see 6" (and larger) reflectors for sale on Dobsonian mounts for, in general, quite a bit less than an AZ or EQ mount - does not have tripod legs etc. Can have other advantages but as with everything else there is a trade off. Dob mounts have made access to large apertures for sensible budgets just that bit easier. BTW general range for dobs seems to be from about 6" to 12" due to size of the mirror and length of the tube. Can get larger but step ladders then become mandatory and perhaps paid up health insurance.

If you end up deciding to get a telescope, I'd recommend buying from a telescope dealer such as some of the ones listed already in this thread or who are linked to this site. Please stay clear of the department store "cheap" scopes as realistically they are not "cheap" and have pitfalls.

BTW If you have binoculars then have them handy near the telescope when starting out. They make matching what you see with charts that much easier and help familiarisation before getting the finder of the telescope in the right area and then the "looking through a straw" telescope field of view.

Be curious to hear what you might decide.

Merry Christmas. Or if you are from the states "Happy Holidays".
Thanks Coen. Merry Christmas to you too!

I'm pretty stuck on the SW 70x900mm now! That will give him a good look-see and will start him off I'm sure!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mrs View Post

I'm pretty stuck on the SW 70x900mm now! That will give him a good look-see and will start him off I'm sure!
Now that will be a GREAT little starter to get him going. Now start saving for the big one next year
Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

GO FORTH AND PURCHASE :d prop that economy up
Old 15-12-2008, 12:49 PM
The Mrs

I've ordered the Skywatcher 70x900mm EQ1!

I'm so excited! I can't wait until Christmas so I can give it to him.

I even saw in the DS catalogue last night the 127mm Celestron is now down to $176, but I know to stay clear!

Thanks again for all the great advice I was given. You guys are great!

Have a Merry Christmas!
Old 15-12-2008, 01:21 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Just remember, Christmas night, come back on and ask all the questions needed if you run into any problems getting set up. Pity no evening Moon, nor evening Saturn that night. Go for Jupiter and Venus in the dusk - the brighest points of light to the West! Then as it gets dark, try 47 Tucanae and the Tarantula nebula (NGC 2070 in the LMC = Large Magellanic Cloud). You should be able to see them.

You might want to print out the Southern Hemisphere Dec 2008 map from this site:-

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

And have it handy to help find things. Note that it doesn't show you the location of the Moon or the planets.

Happy Christmas Viewing!
Old 15-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Coen
"Doc"

Now, realise that as soon as you open the box, have it set up and ready to use that it will rain or be clouded over for at least a week

I hope you and hub enjoy the telescope. I have been enjoying mine, as have the two oldest kids.

Get hold of some good star atlases, planisphere or some such other navigational aid (if you have not already). I recommend Taki's star charts (free, downloadable PDF's down to magnitude 8.5); he even has build your own planispheres. There is also the Tri-Atlas series but the maps are more cluttered (lots of great information) and some free to magnitude 7 atlases too. These help with either finding things to try and look at or finding out what you have just looked at. Plenty of free star-charting/planetarium type software to help as well, some are small downloads others (with lots of catalogues of information) are not so small. There are a number of web-sites that have a constellation by constellation break-down of objects to see. There are plenty of lists too.

If you want/need some suggestions on what might be good to start looking at, only need ask. The great thing is this time of year - Orion, Canis Major, Puppis through to Carina/Crux are all starting to rise again. Lots of great open clusters, globular clusters, double stars, nebulae and the like.

Note with the EQ1: if it comes with the motor drive, I found once it was situated where indicated I tended to find either the telescope tube or the counter weight would bump into it. I took it off (don't really use it anyway). I have since rigged it differently, screwing the motor mounting bracket on one of the tripod legs and getting an old long "slow motion" control cable from an old telescope mount and using that to extend the drive. The cable is a bit stiff and so there is a bit more pressure on a few points but on the whole it makes the motor drive more useful as it does not nearly interfere as much now.
Old 15-12-2008, 02:29 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Quote:
Now, realise that as soon as you open the box, have it set up and ready to use that it will rain or be clouded over for at least a week
hehehe its only a small purchase a weeks cloud cover is 1000+
Old 15-12-2008, 04:29 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great news... I just thought of something...the image is upside down so dont be shocked...but you can get an erecting prism which could be worth looking into.. I cant remember if we covered that...
alex
Old 15-12-2008, 08:35 PM
The Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Just remember, Christmas night, come back on and ask all the questions needed if you run into any problems getting set up. Pity no evening Moon, nor evening Saturn that night. Go for Jupiter and Venus in the dusk - the brighest points of light to the West! Then as it gets dark, try 47 Tucanae and the Tarantula nebula (NGC 2070 in the LMC = Large Magellanic Cloud). You should be able to see them.

You might want to print out the Southern Hemisphere Dec 2008 map from this site:-

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

And have it handy to help find things. Note that it doesn't show you the location of the Moon or the planets.

Happy Christmas Viewing!
Thanks Eric! Will definitely come back on and introduce my husband to this site.

Quote:

I hope you and hub enjoy the telescope. I have been enjoying mine, as have the two oldest kids.

Get hold of some good star atlases, planisphere or some such other navigational aid (if you have not already). I recommend Taki's star charts (free, downloadable PDF's down to magnitude 8.5); he even has build your own planispheres. There is also the Tri-Atlas series but the maps are more cluttered (lots of great information) and some free to magnitude 7 atlases too. These help with either finding things to try and look at or finding out what you have just looked at. Plenty of free star-charting/planetarium type software to help as well, some are small downloads others (with lots of catalogues of information) are not so small. There are a number of web-sites that have a constellation by constellation break-down of objects to see. There are plenty of lists too.

If you want/need some suggestions on what might be good to start looking at, only need ask. The great thing is this time of year - Orion, Canis Major, Puppis through to Carina/Crux are all starting to rise again. Lots of great open clusters, globular clusters, double stars, nebulae and the like.

Note with the EQ1: if it comes with the motor drive, I found once it was situated where indicated I tended to find either the telescope tube or the counter weight would bump into it. I took it off (don't really use it anyway). I have since rigged it differently, screwing the motor mounting bracket on one of the tripod legs and getting an old long "slow motion" control cable from an old telescope mount and using that to extend the drive. The cable is a bit stiff and so there is a bit more pressure on a few points but on the whole it makes the motor drive more useful as it does not nearly interfere as much now.
I've heard of the astro Murphy's Law! I'll get him the Astronomy 2009 book and maybe a planesphere too.

I'm pretty sure it's not a motor drive but that's a nice little tweak you've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Great news... I just thought of something...the image is upside down so dont be shocked...but you can get an erecting prism which could be worth looking into.. I cant remember if we covered that...
alex
Oh, no, I didn't think of that! Doesn't matter because really, I don't think we'll use it for terrestrial viewing. I think the binos would be good enough for that. But interesting to know that you can get something to flip it back around!
Old 16-12-2008, 08:46 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

He's a VERY lucky man.

Merry Christmas
Old 23-12-2008, 09:08 AM
The Mrs

Great service from Andrews! It arrived in 2 days! It's been hiding away for nearly a week! Only 2 days to go....!

I was looking out for Astronomy 2009 and I remembered seeing it in Australian Geographic, but when I went back to get it, it was a calender. Is this right? For some reason I thought it was a book!
Old 23-12-2008, 09:18 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yep, it's a book. I'll find a link so you can see what it looks like.

Edit: Here, Mike had put a picture on the thread when he was selling some stock:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...4&d=1224712006
Old 23-12-2008, 09:22 AM
The Mrs

OH good! Thanks so much for the quick reply! I'm hoping to duck out today and get it. Hopefully Borders/Angus/ etc have it!
Old 23-12-2008, 09:27 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Here is the publisher:-

http://www.quasarastronomy.com.au/yb_09.htm

But no phone number to check with them.

Bintel are selling it for $20.

Bintel, Sydney, https://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm are here:-

84 Wentworth Park Road
Glebe NSW 2037
Australia

Telephone
(02) 9518 7255
Fax
(02) 9518 5711

Email
info@bintel.com.au Email address protected by JavaScript.
Please enable JavaScript to contact me.

Trading Hours
Monday-Friday-9:00AM-5:30PM
Saturday-9:00AM-4:00PM
In December the Sydney Store is open on Sunday 10:00AM-4:00PM
Old 23-12-2008, 09:33 AM
The Mrs

Ah, thanks so much Eric! I'm sure I've seen that before, and in the AG shop! It's a bit of a trek for me to get to Glebe so maybe I'll have a hunt around here for it.

If I can't find it I'll order from the website.

Thanks again Eric.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 23-12-2008, 09:38 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

There's also an Astronomy 2009 calendar, which probably caused some confusion
Old 23-12-2008, 10:32 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

..............but you should buy the calendar as well! This one:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...9&d=1225834060
Old 26-12-2008, 09:46 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Comming in very late - I found Andrews triplet 80 * 20 binoculars simply spectular (compared to 70 * 15 or 50 * 10) - the extra light grasp is impressive. I was until I started looking around Orion that I realised how much better that 10mm of aperature is - suddenly I could see around 40% more stars.

The other purchase I really liked was a second hand Williams Optics Megrez. Its not an apo - but its beautifully solid and focuses amazing well - giving very high contrast views.
Old 26-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Any updates on the pressy opening
Old 26-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Yeah, c'mon Mrs,
this has now become a shared experience
I think we all want to know how it's gone.