Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-03-2008, 05:22 PM
gman (Grant)
Where is the dark?

My First Scope

Well people,
After reading copius posts on IIS and visiting various websites and reading all the sales guff from manufacturers and other various forums, I have finally put a deposit on an 8" Dob from Bintel.

I chose the 8" over the larger sizes basically due to it being mildly more portable and also needing to cart the kids at the same time

Unfortunatley I have to wait upwards of 6 weeks for the next shipment from China .
This hopefully will coincide hopefully with my B'Day, for which I convinced my wife that the scope would be a gift for

"Haven't told her about Xmas yet and what that is going to cost"

I could have purchased from interstate and had the scope in my possession sooner but I'm a bit old school and like to have access to a shop front where I can look them in the eye and form a bit of a repoir.
Old 14-03-2008, 05:43 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Well done, you'll love it. You have the patience I didn't have... waiting for a Bintel shipment, when a 2nd hand 10" came up. Good choice with the portability of the 8", although even an 8 would've been too big for me to transport it and my whole family. I'm sure it will suit your needs to a 'T'! Did you get any extras?
Old 14-03-2008, 05:54 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Good stuff. If you look like your avatar, we'll easily find you in the dark
Old 14-03-2008, 07:28 PM
desler

Nice

Congratulations on your purchase Grant. The 8 is a great scope that will give you and your family heaps to see.

Xmas may be a problem for you if apeture fever sets in!

Your level of patience is admirable!

Have fun!

Darren
Old 14-03-2008, 07:34 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Grant,

Great choice, my 8" is still my most commonly used scope. Doesn't have the light grasp of the 13" but is really easy to move and cools quicker. After several years of using my 8" I have still to dent the list of objects visible with this scope.

Keep looking up
Old 14-03-2008, 07:59 PM
gman (Grant)
Where is the dark?

Thanx Guys,
I am actually biting at the bit and can't wait to get amongst it but with kids from 17 to 5, having some sort of patience goes with the territory.
I could have gone for the 10" which was available but it would be of no real use to me if I couldn't move it out of light polluted Dandenong.
What do I do, leave the kids at home or the telescope??
Unfortunately, my wife has a say in it too.

At this stage I have only purchased it as per say "off the shelf" so it has only come with the std options
26mm, 15mm & 9mm eyepieces, Moon Filter, and dust cap and a 2yr g/tee

I will also buy a Telrad when I collect it from the shop.
Old 14-03-2008, 08:51 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
I will also buy a Telrad when I collect it from the shop.
No rush for this.. not that useful IMO in light polluted 'burbs.
Old 14-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Spacebrother
I come in peace

Nice one gman

I bought an 8" GS from Andrews only a month ago..I'm having a blast with this thing It is very transportable and after much travel and moving, the collimation is still in check.

You might want to give the base some extra handles, the scope a control knob and some extra sliders for the swivelling. I did and it made the scope sooo much better, for like $40 in total extra.

Clear skies

Enjoy!

derek
Old 14-03-2008, 09:29 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

You're going to love it Grant. Big enough aperture to give good views, small enough to handle and transport with relative ease.
Old 15-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

woah now im jealous
u lucky thing u
have fun wif ya new toy
Old 15-03-2008, 01:42 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Gman,

Look forward to hearing about your adventures in learning to use your 8" -- which is a really good choice for a beginner -- well done.

You wrote:

"What do I do, leave the kids at home or the telescope??"

Is this a serious question or a wind-up?

You wrote:

"Unfortunately, my wife has a say in it too."

Sadly, this is the case for most of us too. Look forward to those arguments in future over whether you can/should buy such-and-such a toy to go with the telecope. To you it will look essential and pretty cheap, and she will think otherwise much of the time. Also be prepared to put in a big effort to gain the necessary "brownie-points" to go here or there to observe, see a talk, go to a star-party, club meeting etc, etc.

And make sure you join an astronomy club/society if there is one nearby. Do you have a colliimation tool yet -- you will need it!

Best,

Les D
Contributing Editor
AS&T
Old 15-03-2008, 03:17 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

If you ever want to have an observing session, or compare the 8 to a 10, I'm only a short drive away. I've never tried this, but the car parks along the beach just down the road from here would give a spectacular viewing panorama. When McNaught was at its prime I went down and there was a bunch of people there. I'm just too chicken to try it on my own
Old 27-03-2008, 10:39 PM
gman (Grant)
Where is the dark?

Still waiting for any sign of the scope arriving.
Whilst waiting, thought I would purchase a pair of binos.
Settled for the 11x70 on offer from Andrews Comms.
Ordered Thursday b4 Good Friday.
They arrived Tuesday morning, woke the wife and kids up as I had gone to work.
Got home about 7pm looking forward to having a looksee and then was full of disappointment.
The right diopter has broken away from the prism chamber.
Back in the box and returned to Andrews.
New pair on their way back to me
I am now getting impatient.
I now understand the previous replies.

Last edited by gman; 27-03-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 28-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

awwww gman i hope u get your scope real soon the sky has been pretty crap lately anyway so fingers crossed u will have your baby in no time patience ok
Old 30-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Solanum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
awwww gman i hope u get your scope real soon the sky has been pretty crap lately anyway so fingers crossed u will have your baby in no time patience ok
It certainly has, I've only been in the mallee for a couple of years, but I've never seen so many cloudy nights. Pity they aren't matched with the pitter-patter of rain.... well I'm sure I'll be able to blow the layers of red dust off the scope one day...

Talking of cloud, I hope gman (and anyone living near him) realises that once his scope arrives he is guaranteed several weeks of cloud? Patience is a virtue they say, glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't posses it!
Old 31-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanum View Post
It certainly has, I've only been in the mallee for a couple of years, but I've never seen so many cloudy nights. Pity they aren't matched with the pitter-patter of rain.... well I'm sure I'll be able to blow the layers of red dust off the scope one day...

Talking of cloud, I hope gman (and anyone living near him) realises that once his scope arrives he is guaranteed several weeks of cloud? Patience is a virtue they say, glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't posses it!
Hey Solanum im from Swan Hill do u have any get together star gazers up there this town dosnt but im thinking of starting one
Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 PM
gman (Grant)
Where is the dark?

The binos made their way back to me from Andrews last week so I have had a few chances to peruse the night sky.
Called Bintel this week for an e.t.a on the 8" and it is due the week beginning 21st April.
All sounds good so far.
Along comes a letter from the Hospital.
I am booked in on the 21st to have some Lipomas, (Tumers), removed from my foot - will be off my feet all week.
At the moment it looks like I wont be able to collect it till the following week.
Another victim of Murphys Law
Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Craig.a.c (Craig)

Dam gman, thats some bad luck. I hope all goes well with your foot. Remember "good things come to those that wait".
Old 24-04-2008, 12:26 PM
gman (Grant)
Where is the dark?

Well, what can I say.
I have had my foot operation.
I'm hobbling about like a 90 yr old (better looking though - only just)

I called Bintel this morning to find out when the 8" scope will be available as this is the week of arrival as advised by them 2 weeks ago.
I was advised that the container will not be due in Aus until the end of may due to various factors.

What do I do?

Well I do what any budding astronomy enthusiast would do, I upgrade to the 10" and go pick it up.

It is sitting in the kitchen right now still in its carton.
My wife says I have to wait until tomorrow to even unpack it as it is my birthday present
Till tomorrow
Old 24-04-2008, 12:34 PM
asterisk (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
Well I do what any budding astronomy enthusiast would do, I upgrade to the 10" and go pick it up.

It is sitting in the kitchen right now still in its carton.
My wife says I have to wait until tomorrow to even unpack it as it is my birthday present
Till tomorrow
How lucky are you? Not only do you get a public holiday for your birthday, but a new telescope as well!

Be prepared for clouds.

Cheers