Old 27-10-2016, 09:57 AM
mikeyjames (Mick)

Looking west last night

Hi all,
This may sound like a stupid question. Last night was my third night with my first telescope (8" Newt). While trying to get pointed at Venus, the wife and I saw something odd in its general direction a bit higher in the sky.

At first we thought it was a thin wisp of cloud that seemed to trail off at both ends or may be a jet trail, both of which I assume would move over time.

With all the trials and tribulations of trying to unlearn my 49 year hardwired conception of what up, down, left, and right mean while using an EQ mount and telescope, and then getting the scope pointed at Venus and then Saturn we kept coming across the same feature that didn't seem to move.

I looked on Stellarium and couldn't see any astronomical target that could explain it.

Any ideas what we could have been looking at?

Cheers
Mick
Old 27-10-2016, 10:37 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Was this after complete darkness fell, or was there still some light in the sky? Are you at a "dark sky" site, or do you suffer from some light pollution?

If you have clear dark skies, it could have been a nebula or part of the Milky Way (and if so, it will be there again tonight!), but if it was before complete darkness, and / or you have light polluted skies, it was more likelly a cloud or vapour trail.
Old 27-10-2016, 10:46 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjames View Post
Hi all,
This may sound like a stupid question. Last night was my third night with my first telescope (8" Newt). While trying to get pointed at Venus, the wife and I saw something odd in its general direction a bit higher in the sky.

At first we thought it was a thin wisp of cloud that seemed to trail off at both ends or may be a jet trail, both of which I assume would move over time.

With all the trials and tribulations of trying to unlearn my 49 year hardwired conception of what up, down, left, and right mean while using an EQ mount and telescope, and then getting the scope pointed at Venus and then Saturn we kept coming across the same feature that didn't seem to move.

I looked on Stellarium and couldn't see any astronomical target that could explain it.

Any ideas what we could have been looking at?

Cheers
Mick
Hi Mick, without knowing how far above or below Venus you're talking about it is difficult to know what object you could be looking at.
You are entering the realms of the Milky Way if heading up, and there are lots of nebulous patches that have no names or are at best not well known with NGC or other catalogue names.
Have a look again tonight and see if you can find it again and take note of it's true location.
Some times wispy clouds hang around for quite a long time as well.
Cheers
Old 27-10-2016, 12:00 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

was it visible to the naked eye or only in the telescope? possibly a noctilucent cloud?
Old 27-10-2016, 12:51 PM
mikeyjames (Mick)

Hi all,
Thanks everyone. I was in suburban Sydney at around 9.30pm, which I should have mentioned. Definitely only visible via the telescope. A strand of that noctilucent cloud certainly look like it could fit the bill.

The next few nights look like a bit of a rightoff, but next clear night I will check again and take better care to note where it is.

Appreciate the help

Cheers
Mick
Old 27-10-2016, 02:37 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Sounds like its not a catalogued item, ie not something in the solar system or beyond.

Noctilucent clouds or contrails can be high in a non-turbulent slow flow of the atmosphere and may appear to not be moving.
Test: pencil and paper sketch it along with the positions of stars around it. Wait 5-10min and repeat and you should see its position in relation to the stars has changed.

Reflections? While at the eyepiece have your wife cover and uncover the end of the scope while you watch the object. Alternately have her drape a towel over your head and eyepiece then remove it while observing the object. Do these without wobbling the scope if possible. If the object reacts in any way then its some kind of reflection, probably sideways light touching the eye or eyepiece (or eyelash).

Also try changing eyepieces, it could be a fibre or eyelash/oil on one eyepiece. If you can photograph it it should be plate solvable. Try anything you can think of to test if its something in the sky or at the equipment. It'll probably remain a mystery. If you can photograph at the eyepiece or at least sketch the stars as best you can then people can help track down if it was a galaxy edge on you saw, or possibly a known rocket launch or whatever.
Old 28-10-2016, 07:31 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Guys. Venus is sitting right next to Antares. The center of the Milky Way sits just above it when looking west and we have a beginner saying he saw a cloudy thing in an 8" scope in that area.
Without knowing for sure which one it is most likely to be a nebula. So Mick, well done on finding your first DSO!!

Malcolm
Old 28-10-2016, 08:54 PM
mikeyjames (Mick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Guys. Venus is sitting right next to Antares. The center of the Milky Way sits just above it when looking west and we have a beginner saying he saw a cloudy thing in an 8" scope in that area.
Without knowing for sure which one it is most likely to be a nebula. So Mick, well done on finding your first DSO!!

Malcolm
Thank you Malcolm, I like your explanation best