Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Popeye (Bert)
Popeye

Eye relief issues - Help!

I bought a 9mm Orion EP that gives a 66 degree FOV. I also bought a 14mm ED EP with a 'new' scope that I bought second hand. Both have a very comfortable eye relief but I am finding that it is too much. If I look into the EP (either one) and my head is not properly aligned with the EP I get a dark blank view until I move my face around and get some of the view. Otherwise I need to move my head and eyes around the perimiter of the EP to get to see the whole picture. I would have thought that at my venerable age the higher the eye relief the more comfortable it would be for me. So I asked others when I got a chance (very isolated in St Helens) and the younger folk said that they too needed to look around the edge of the view to see it all! If I pull my face away from the eyecup I, naturally, get to see only a small amount of the view. Yet if I push my face into the eyecup I don't get to see much either!
I would be interested to hear of other members' take on this issue and if they are also affected the same way. And if there is an answer or explanation I would be happy to hear it.
I sense that if the rubber eyecup was a couple of mms longer then it would be more comfortable not only for viewing but would facilitate a better view.
Any ideas!
Cheers!
Popeye
Old 26-04-2008, 03:30 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

What is the actual model of Orion Ep? How much ER is it supposed to have? Lost of eye relief, say 20mm, can make it hard to keep your eye in the right place. I can't believe a 9mm would have so much ER to be a problem though, unless it's too little and not too much.

Last edited by programmer; 26-04-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 26-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Popeye (Bert)
Popeye

Eye relief issues

I don't have the EP with me - its out in the shed and its too cold to go out there at the moment! But it is for a FOV of 66 degrees and from memory the ER is at least 20mm, probably to do with the wide FOV in a 1.25" EP. Its the first time that I have used an EP with this type of ER.
Judging by your comments it seems that difficulty in keeping eyes in the right place is all part of the larger ER factor.
And am I to take it that there is no way of making the viewing more comfortable?
Cheers!
Popeye