ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2016, 12:39 AM
OwenS

I started by going to the Messier Star Party in Victoria! Great way to meet cool people and get a helping hand!
Old 09-01-2016, 02:14 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Christian

My car is all packed for Burradoo, look forward to meeting you there.

Wayne
Old 09-01-2016, 03:22 PM
PBRStreetgang (Christian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwayne View Post
Hi Christian

My car is all packed for Burradoo, look forward to meeting you there.

Wayne

Leaving Picton shortly.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:27 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Christian

Great to meet you last night and help you with your new kit, very nice. Just thinking about the way you set it up. If I were you I would put your diagonal in place before mounting the tube. You can then leave a gap of 10 or 15mm between the bottom of the diagonal and the top of your mount at zenith (pointing straight up directly overhead) then you will never have a problem of fouling the diagonal to the top of the mount. Hope that makes sense.

Shame the dew cut us short last night but it was still a great night for our little astronomy group in the highlands.

Clear skies.

Wayne
Old 10-01-2016, 08:28 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

And I just realised something with my profile photo. This is NGC3324 and NGC3293 (Gem Cluster) that we were looking at last night.

Wayne
Old 11-01-2016, 09:10 AM

Hiya Lads and Lasses,

The night before last I operated my telescope, with Wayne, Norm and other aspiring amateur astronomers, for the first time.

Great night, with some great viewing,....with plenty of ooohs and aaahs.

The arvo started off a bit ominous with a blanket of high cloud cover but miraculously as Sirius appeared the cloud quickly moved on with a clear skies as the night enveloped.

So, no blaming of my new gear this time.

Viewed a number of Nebulae including Orion and the Tarantula Nebulae and a distant Galaxy (more on that later).

Just a couple of observations of the night and the Celestron Telescope,....from a newby perspective.

1. The red light scope mount is mounted on a dovetail mount utilising two phillips head screws. Unfortunately the mount had a tendency to pop out of the telescope when the screws were tightened too much. So it was a fine line have the red light scope secure and tight to when the whole lot pops out. Even a slight nudge when mounted it pops out. This made alignment difficult with the main tube and I am guessing as a result I did poor job of the alignment.

The solution will be to glue the small dove tail mount in the recesses,....carefully.

2. The main scope was not properly aligned. I utilised three stars to align the main scope but it was just off to the left and low. This issue was not a big problem as I quickly learnt where to look and I pretty much nailed each time after a minute or so. I don't know if I mucked up the alignment or the GPS was slightly off. Norm had a very cool double cross hair eyepiece (for Wayne not lens ) which is probably the way to go,....that and practice I suspect.

3. Wide view eye pieces are the way to go. That will be my next major purchase methinks. The eyepeices that came with the scope (40mm and 13mm) are fine, but the wide view eyepeices are fantastic and I found viewing much easier.

4. Although searching for deep field objects and adjusting the miss-alighned scope was not an issue initially, but as we started searching for deeper and fainter objects it became very difficult and all of a sudden I had all sorts of problems focusing. Initially I though it was because the objects were fainter and farther away (or smaller) but Wayne quickly discovered the issue. By glass shield was completely covered in dew. So today I am ordering covers/shields to try and negate the problem and in the future the battery operated heating coil that Wayne suggested.

5. Take warm clothes,...always even in the middle of summer. Thank you Norm for the jacket.

6. Coffee flask, drinks and nibbles.

7. I did a terrible job recording what I viewed. Actually no recording at all. I viewed a number of Messier and NGC objects but struggle to name any of them.

So I must find a method to record every nights viewing.

8. I found it a rather lovely occurrence allowing others to view objects through my Telescope. I was fortunate, compared to others, to own a Telescope like mine and allowing others to view objects was a pleasure.

Speaking of which, Michael (at BINTEL) you maybe getting more business as a result of the night.

9. One of the interesting aspects of the night was the differentiation of colours. Stars and Suns the colours were brilliant and diverse. But Nebulae and Galaxies there basically no colour differentiation, within those objects at all. I found that interesting. If I want colour from a Nebulae or Galaxy, then astro-photography is the go.

Oh Dear. Must wait at least a year,....if at all.

What a great night!!!!

Want to give a huuuuge thanks to Wayne and Norm with their patience, knowledge and making the whole night comfortable, interesting and fun. There was quite a good turn out with mothers bringing out their kids for the evening to learn about astronomy.

10 out 10 Wayne for facilitating that. And even if only 1 in a hundred pick it up as a hobby or a passion then its well worth it it spades. You and Norm should be quite pleased and proud of yourselves.

Thank You.

So, that was my first night. Rather successful I'd say and hopefully one or two budding astronomers will get something from my post,.......from a newby perspective.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:13 AM

Also, a thank you to Aiden as well who helped me out with some kit.

Once again I'd like to acknowledge the support and encouragement that I have received from members of this place.

Great stuff.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:15 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Ahhh Christian your enthusiasm is contagious. I've not long finished updating some ISS viewing opportunities in the Highlands for this week on our Facebook group.

As fete would have it I have the sheet of paper I had as my observing list;
M42 and M43, nebula in Orion
M41 Open Cluster in Canis Major
NGC2070 Tarantula Nebula in Dorado part of the LMC
NGC3372 Eta Carina Nebula in Carina
NGC3324 Nebula in Carina
NGC3293 Gem Cluster in Carina
NGC104 47 Tuc, globular cluster in Tucana near the SMC
NGC253 galaxy in Sculptor

I was pretty sure you had a good night.

Till next time, clear skies

Wayne
Old 11-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

A pleasure Christian
Old 11-01-2016, 07:23 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Christian
Thank you very much for your excellent post. So glad you had a wonderful night. Am a little surprised at the red dot finder issue. Can you post a photo of the mounting arrangement/ These are a fairly simple thing so am surprised it would give any issues.

With the alignment, what style of mount do you have? If it is a fork mount, if the alignment procedure for the go to system is done carefully. it should be quite accurate. And when you say "left and low" is that still with the target left and low in the eyepiece view?

Recording what you see is a good habit to get into. That's why I know I have logged over 1400 objects because I have 4 volumes of notebooks. It is also a good idea to enter the ones you have logged in a spreadsheet so you can easily check what you have nabbed, once you get a few hundred in the books you have trouble eg "Was that NGC 1097 or NGC 1098 i saw a few weeks ago?" Also try to describe the view. Not just the object but are their any obvious stars or interesting patterns of stars in the field. Any other objects (to often we look at the main target and miss a really obvious one sitting 10' away!) as well as a brief description eg overall size, shape, how elongated, bright or faint, any structure, any colour? This often makes interesting reading in years to come if you revisit and you find you can see more because you know what to look for.

Dew is a major issue especially with SCT scopes with their corrector. Dew shield and a dew controller for eyepiece heaters will control this.

And I know what you mean about getting to show others things in a good scope. I love few things as much as showing one of my favourite objects of in the 20"!!

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 PM
FI93 (Norm)

Twas a good night

Evening Christian, It was a pleasure to out that night, I have entered the USA Billion Dollar lotto hoping (At 29 million to one) to win enough to satisfy my aparture fever after seeing the results through your scope. Keep a eye on our web site as there should be a few more evening scheduled now that we have proven that there is good seeing and no great disturbing lights at the viewing site.
Old 14-01-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Christian
Thank you very much for your excellent post. So glad you had a wonderful night. Am a little surprised at the red dot finder issue. Can you post a photo of the mounting arrangement/ These are a fairly simple thing so am surprised it would give any issues.

With the alignment, what style of mount do you have? If it is a fork mount, if the alignment procedure for the go to system is done carefully. it should be quite accurate. And when you say "left and low" is that still with the target left and low in the eyepiece view?

Recording what you see is a good habit to get into. That's why I know I have logged over 1400 objects because I have 4 volumes of notebooks. It is also a good idea to enter the ones you have logged in a spreadsheet so you can easily check what you have nabbed, once you get a few hundred in the books you have trouble eg "Was that NGC 1097 or NGC 1098 i saw a few weeks ago?" Also try to describe the view. Not just the object but are their any obvious stars or interesting patterns of stars in the field. Any other objects (to often we look at the main target and miss a really obvious one sitting 10' away!) as well as a brief description eg overall size, shape, how elongated, bright or faint, any structure, any colour? This often makes interesting reading in years to come if you revisit and you find you can see more because you know what to look for.

Dew is a major issue especially with SCT scopes with their corrector. Dew shield and a dew controller for eyepiece heaters will control this.

And I know what you mean about getting to show others things in a good scope. I love few things as much as showing one of my favourite objects of in the 20"!!

Cheers

Malcolm
I'll see what I can do mate......just gotta find me camera.

Target was high and right of the eyepiece. Sorry, my wording.
Old 19-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Hemi

Hi Christian.
I'm a complete beginner as well, and bought the same excellent scope from Bintel (they are fantastic). I had the same problem with RDF. I contacted Celestron (us), and they told me that plastic piece that keeps falling off should have been glued to the dovetail at the factory. Gluing it yourself will sort it out....but may I Suggest you unscrew the dovetail and glue it in place off the scope. It's not obvious, and as a beginner your not that confident at unscrewing things off your OTA! I didn't and ended up having a proprietary Rdf dovetail permenantly superglued to my OTA. Not a biggie but less than ideal and easily avoided.

Cheers
Old 25-01-2016, 07:49 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Christian - the weather gods are conspiring against us. Norm and I have planned another observing night for Saturday 6 Feb. Again this one will be from 17:00, and we should be able observe Jupiter this around.

Be great to catch up again.

Wayne