Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 18-04-2019, 08:45 PM
billdan (Bill)

Mesu 200 (ver1) now discontinued.

I thought I would mention that the Mesu 200 mount that I have is now discontinued and not available anymore.

If you ordered one today, for the same price you get the 2nd version which has higher resolution encoders installed, through the mount cabling and a longer Counter weight shaft.

Here's the catch, this mount has NO Azimuth or Altitude(Latitude) adjusters. You will have to buy a Bended Knee pier preset to your latitude or a wedge that sits on top of your existing pier.

A backward step in my opinion, but we shall see.

Here is a link to SGL discussing the changes

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3...w-mesu200-mk2/

Below are photo's of the original mount as I have and the new one with the bended knee pier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mesu mount200 100Kg payload 4arcsec PE.jpg)
58.3 KB118 views
Click for full-size image (Mesu200 Mark2.jpg)
103.4 KB120 views
Old 19-04-2019, 12:22 PM
garymck (Gary)

As an owner of the V1 Mesu, I agree with you. Think it's a backward step. If the new one was the only optin I would not have bought the Mesu...As it is I think my Mesu will be buried with me....
cheers
Gary
Old 19-04-2019, 03:19 PM
billdan (Bill)

Same here Gary, if that was the only Mesu 200 available I would not have bought it.
That pier looks cumbersome and probably too tall to use under my sheds roof with my 14" scope on top of the mount. My latitude is 27 degrees that would put a lot of strain at the bending joint (the bend in the photo is about 50 degrees).
Old 19-04-2019, 06:06 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

That does seem counter-productive and more costly in the end (I assume a custom angle pier doesn't come with it). Definitely a nuisance if you intend moving too.
Old 19-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I think it is great that we see mounts and other astro rig for amateurs being frequently improved and modified, as eventually things get better overall. It is inevitable that some changes do not suit everyone, but I think it is vital, in particular in our small and quite esoteric community, to remain generally positive in regards to the efforts made by those few manufacturers that design and make equipment for us with the aim of making this hobby even more enjoyable.
Old 19-04-2019, 07:19 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Another happy Mark1 owner here.
Perhaps part of the reason for no alt/elev adjustment is due to the perceived difficulty
of using the Mark 1 adjusters. There are many posts on SGL complaining about the
azimuth moving when the central tommy nut is tightened but the greasy washer as suggested on SLG overcomes this problem. Of greater concern, perhaps, is the difficulty of adjusting the elevation when equipment is loaded. It is indeed hard to raise the elevation using the knurled wheels directly by hand. But a very smooth and accurately
controllable method is to make the adjustment using a pair of mole grips, effectively an eight inch adjustment wheel.

So as others have said I reckon that I will have my Mesu Mark 1 for a long time.

Chris
Old 13-11-2019, 09:05 AM
100percent (Keith)

Mesu 200 maintenance info.

Hi,
Just a bit of info on the Version 1 should there be any temptation to remove 'access plate' to the Servo Friction Drive mechanism. In fact this is not a 'User Access' point, the plate is accurately positioned to give the correct transfer of power from the servo and holds the 'bearing cup' for the Servo's shaft end. Its' setting is quite critical.
The plate's side retaining 'clamps & screws' are carefully adjusted by Lucas Mesu during the Mount Set Up. Do not remove, do not touch. Lucas does not use a varnish seal or LocTite to ward off tampering. You need to contact Lucas before you think there is a need undo screws etc.
How do I know this? I had dismantled the Telescope installation to move to another location so checked the movement by hand.
Chastised when admitted to having removed the 'DEC Drive Inspection Plate' (incorrectly labelled in a Publication) while investigating a small amount of resistance at one spot when turning the DEC axis by hand (although did not appear affect the actual Servo DEC Drive effectiveness). I did this before contacting Lucas!
Anyway, had the Mount checked over by Lucas (I live in the UK so not too far from Holland), on its' return found no more detectable resistance when turned by hand.

Hope the fires in Australia haven't left soot particles on the Optics down there. Best Wishes fighting the fires.

Last edited by 100percent; 13-11-2019 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Missing 2 pdf files