Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-11-2019, 01:45 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Suitability of eyepieces for my scopes

I spend a bit of time watching the eyepieces being sold by IIS members on IceTrade classifieds, conscious of the fact that these eyepieces are possibly being sold because they no longer meet their owners expectations?

Would these eyepieces meet my expectations? Would they suit my F5 200mm reflector? Would they suit my ED80? Would the price being asked be justified by a better viewing experience for me?

I Google these eyepieces to get reviews from IIS, Cloudynights etc. but I’m always left asking what benefit would I get with my scope by buying a particular eyepiece?

These days I’m employing a strategy that is definitely giving me some answers.

I use Skytools V3 to plan my viewing for an evening. What is going to be up there tonight from my restricted back yard?
The specifications for my scopes and my current eyepieces are all entered in Skytools, and observing lists are generated specifically for each scope.
Among a host of detail for each object, Skytools tells me which of my eyepieces is optimum for each object in an a particular observing list.
By entering in Skytools the specifications of an eyepiece being offered for sale on IIS and assigning it to my scope, observing lists are regenerated to include the new eyepiece.
By checking how many objects will benefit from the new eyepiece I can quickly determine whether the purchase is worthwhile.

Maybe this strategy could be of interest to others?

Cheers, Chris
Old 30-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Chris,
What eyepieces do you have/ use??
Old 30-11-2019, 02:12 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Hi Ken, I'm on a pension and therefore on a budget, and my eyepieces reflect this!

I have a Meade UWA 8.8mm for lunar and planetary, and will shortly have a TMB 4mm for this purpose also.
I have the range of Meade QX eyepieces, 15mm, 20mm, and the 26mm and 36mm 2" eyepieces.

I use my 200mm reflector almost exclusively these days, aperture rules!
And while I follow the recommendations of Skytools, I find that the 36mm is used more than all the others put together. I just love widefield views!
Old 30-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Chris,
Yeah I think there are many of us in the same boat.
IMHO what you have are pretty good and useable.
I bought my TV plossls back in the 1980’s and they are in better condition than my aging eyes.....they will outlast me.
Just my 2c
Old 30-11-2019, 02:40 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Thanks Ken, we're in the same boat. I'm in my mid 70's, last eye checkup revealed early signs of cataracts. Must confess I spend a lot of time sitting back from my scope just enjoying the immensity and awesomeness of it all!