Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 03-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

StarTools or NOT. Errors aplenty!

In an attempt to improve my images I thought I'd give StarTools ago. Was that a mistake or not??? IVO Feel free to Chime in here at anytime.
I've just downloaded this program the umteenth time if feels like from the Startools Web site ( so latest program version ) ( in hope of a different result as per the below out come!)unzipped it and when I click the 64bit exe file it continually Shows the following. HOST MULTIPLATFORM MESSAGE.
Could not modify Tracking data. Please make sure StarTools has read/write permission for the folder you are running the application from. 12 clicks of the OK button gets me to the i Welcome page for evaluating( "Free" version).
I then Open an un-stretched DDS .tiff file and get a Failed page telling me I need to load a FITS,Uncompressed,IBMPC byte-order .TIF file or a PNG File. But alas I just attempted to load a .TIFF file. Quite frustrated by now!. So I head into GIMP and convert the image to .PNG. So i click on the Linear button
( one has been lead to believe that an almost black image of the Helix would be linear) the programdisplays decides to load the same image in PNG format but no. ERROR Message HOST MULTIPLATFORM MESSAGE: Could not create Tracking Data. Please make sure StarTools has read/write ermission for the folder you are running the application from. So I now reveal my ignorance and ask Why haven't yo got read /write permission . I didn't denigh you. Also each of the option tabs , Linear , Linear,from OSC/DSLR with Bayer Matrix and not... , Non Linear SRGB source tabs gives the same message so no options here either. 6 Click of the OK button takes me to the "Possible Stacking Artifacts detected Page. Click OK and finally I load an image with 9 star visible and a black screen otherwise. (This may be correct but gees !)
PLEASE TELL ME I'M DOING EVERYTHING WRONG HERE! #almostgivenup BTW my machine is A Gen 5 icore7 . 1T SSD Drive with 16GB ram.......... I'm off to do yard work and clear my head
Old 06-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Giving Due Credit to IVO , The author of StarTools , I messaged him with this message and he responded with solutions which are working . I think I was a little frustrated . I haven't finished an edit as yet but have hopes of improved results with out having to spend my life figuring it out
Cheers
Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Wes
Once you get your head around Startools you will be amazed how powerful it’s processing is even with crappy data
I’m upgrading to v 1.5 in the new year
Ivo is very accomodating and great support
Cheers
Martin
“ A very satisfied Startools user”
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I second that, Ivo has communicated with me personally to provide guidance & support.

Great tool (as I'm sure others are too) but, Ivo goes out of his way to assist you, all you need to do is reach out & he is here on the forum, which is a bonus...

Cheers