Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-02-2019, 06:06 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Scumbags

Went shopping today after work and parked at the back away from everyone. Came back 10 min later- big gashes and dent along the left side of the car under the door line -about a metre long.

Seems like someone with a low trailer (boat / jet ski) who did it then took off like a gutless wonder without leaving a number or note.

Yes totally insured but still there’s the likely $500 excess I shouldn’t have to pay.

Really pi$$ed and not happy Jan!

Anyone with similar stories?
Old 19-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I feel for you Lewis. Time to get a decent in car cam that would probably have got the offender. There really are some low-life's out there...
Old 19-02-2019, 06:47 PM
bojan
amateur

Oh yes...

I stopped worrying about those things long time ago... as long as the damage is not structural, I simply leave it as it is (I only apply a stray of paint to prevent corrosion if necessary and that's it.
After all, this is only a car... to carry me from A to B.
Old 19-02-2019, 06:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

That is terrible luck Lewis but please cheer up as the greatest loss comes from thinking about it over and over and destroying your happiness and then perhaps the happiness of those around you.

It could have been worse so please be happy and dont let them rob you of more then they already have.

Alex
Old 19-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

During the past six months I have witnessed an old f*** who should not have been driving cause a 1' scratch along the back of another car and a womans car roll down a slope into a parked car because she didn't put the hand brake on properly

I left notes on BOTH cars as a witness. And I hope someone would do the same for me because they should NOT get away with it.

Are there no CCTV available where you were
Old 19-02-2019, 07:39 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Sorry to hear this Lewis,

Yes, plenty of similar stories, from other mates though. I work at a university, with the vast majority being obviously students. My workmate's BA Falcon was parked in his usual spot, and he finds a gash similar to your situation today. If you can imagine worse than no note from the perp, was a note with the following: "Soz, my bad :p". I have no words.

Years ago, I sold an old ute to a friend, who was sadly, a magnet for bad luck. He was crashed into twice in 3 months. Both times (lucky for him), they crashed straight into the steel tray. In both instances, it was their fault 100%, and their cars were both written off. The tray simply sliced their front ends in half. Isuzu ute 2 : Ford laser nil : VR Commodore nil. Pic related.

In the absence of evidence or opportunity to find balance, and assuming you have a nice car (as opposed to a pussbox like me), Alex's advice is probably best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (yoot.JPG)
83.7 KB37 views
Old 19-02-2019, 08:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

A driver came back to see a large dint in the side and a note on the windscreen...the note read " Everyone who saw the accident is watching thinking I am leaving my details ... but I am not.

Alex
Old 19-02-2019, 08:26 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Lewis is expressing his disdain at the event like most of us would.

I am just like him .... I would be p***ed off to .

I take good care of my car ( because of $$ value ) and the good condition it's in.

Insurance or not ....Vehicle's damaged by some ' low life ' are an inconvenience by way of repairs and ' out of pocket ' expenses

I hope there is a thing called ' Poetic Justice ' or ' Karma " follows this individual and his / her day will befall them in a far greater way.

Col....
Old 19-02-2019, 09:29 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Well, the claim is in with Suncorp Insurance, so hopefully they won't take too long. having looked at it up close and in detail, it is my presumption it was done by a small car with a towball...likely a P-plater I bet GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRR.

I keep the car as-new, so yes, it hurts, especially considering we have only owned it for 3 months.
Old 20-02-2019, 07:30 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Thats a bummer Lewis,
About 20 years ago i went outside to go to work and looked at all the glass around my car.
There was a tear from the rear panel, through the door and then through the front panel.
It was like a giant can opener had attacked my car. The front indicators were smashed and the mirror was in pieces.
Im standing in shock looking at my car and look up the street and there were 2 other neighbors doing the same thing.
My car came out worst that morning but the cops said 5 cars were hit and it was a stolen ute with a flat tray deliberately driving around into cars.
I had no insuance so we ended up fixing it uo with plates, rivets, and bog. Pitty as it was a straight Torana LX hatch with no dings in it.
Now every car is insured.
I wish i kept the LX as they're quite sort after now.
Cheers
Andy
Old 20-02-2019, 01:43 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Dashcam. Cheap and best thing you'll buy. Paid it off already with a few similar cases. Always got the perps and they paid for the panel beating. More recently in a bunnings car park. Crazy how nice people are when caught with their hand in the bag...
Old 20-02-2019, 01:47 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Spot on Marc..
Old 20-02-2019, 02:46 PM
leon

Lewis i feel for you I only had my new Holden Colorado two weeks when some one put a tow bar through the back bumper and pissed off,
Ya what they could have just left something under the wiper and said sorry and here is my number, lets talk about it

It is not fun

Leon

Last edited by leon; 20-02-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 20-02-2019, 03:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I dont know why capital punishement is not appropriate for folk who dont do the right thing.

Selection of the fittest.
...sure...great idea...so let us get rid of everyone who is not fit to be in our society...the hope would be that after a couple of hundred years all the scum bags genes are gone and only nice people remain...☺
Heck if a dog bites someone you shoot it...seems a reasonable approach..steal a car or do something wrong
.. shoot them. ..what could be simpler.. .

Kull those who dont conform...sure some inoccents will suffer but they suffer no matter what philosophy is in play☺ ...kill the folk who fail to respect our rights to ownership and accumulation of wealth.
Alex
Old 20-02-2019, 08:26 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I dont know why capital punishement is not appropriate for folk who dont do the right thing...
Kull those who dont conform...sure some inoccents will suffer but they suffer no matter what philosophy is in play☺ ...kill the folk who fail to respect our rights to ownership and accumulation of wealth.
Alex
My town was in the grasp of a major car theft epidemic over the last few years. Something to the tune of 80 cars gone per month (we're only 150,000 people). I mused the idea of some way to disable the airbags, if the car knew it was stolen. Technicalities aside, I dreamed it may instil a slight sense of restraint upon said scumbags.

Both my immediate neighbours have had stolen cars run clean through their front fences. No lie. It's not a peaceful process...
Old 20-02-2019, 08:39 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Can sympathize here Lewis, a nice car ruined by losers..every once in a while there's a B--ch scatch on my Merc..Pitiful losers!

Do as I do now, park as well away as you can ..I know you did , but even further away ,even if it means walking a longer path!

bigjoe
Old 20-02-2019, 09:40 PM
Wavytone

Hi Lewis,

Commiserations... A couple of years ago I had a beautiful rare sportscar (just 2 in NSW) which I kept in showroom condition. In preparation to sell it I had it detailed and had just picked it up and had stopped at the lights, when a stupid girl in a 4WD Toyota decided she was going to "squeeze" hers between mine and the car on the left at the lights. Scraped my car from back to front the whole way end-to-end, ripped off the wing mirror.

Pulled over and she looked at mine and said "er... that looks expensive..." to which I replied yeeess... and it transpired she was uninsured. Took photos of her, her car and numberplate, her licence.

After making the claim, NRMA called me back a few days later to say neither her licence nor rego were legit either, nor the address on the back of the licence. The repair estimate was north of $30k.

Just very grateful I was insured...
Old 21-02-2019, 09:49 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

A little off topic and I have told this story here some time ago...so I hope it has not changed much☺.

Three of us were coming back to Sydney and stopped for hamburgers and were waiting out the front of the shop.

It was at a light controlled intersection.

A Police car pulled over a driver who turned right and stopped but the Policeman left his car at the lights in the right hand lane and walked over to address the driver of the car that he had stopped...

A minute later a car runs into the back of the police car hard and it made a heck of a bang..the driver looks up at us then at the Policeman who did not look up nor did the driver he was talking to...the driver of the car looks back at us shrugs his shoulders backs up and drives off....the policeman comes back later hops in his car and drives away unaware that his car had been hit...we were so dumbfounded we could not say anything.

But I sure felt sorry for the Policeman cause he would get out later see the damage and have no idea how it happened.
Alex
Old 21-02-2019, 09:05 PM
leon

I don't know why capital punishment is not appropriate for folk who don't do the right thing.

Selection of the fittest.
...sure...great idea...so let us get rid of everyone who is not fit to be in our society...the hope would be that after a couple of hundred years all the scum bags genes are gone and only nice people remain...☺
Heck if a dog bites someone you shoot it...seems a reasonable approach..steal a car or do something wrong
.. shoot them. ..what could be simpler.. .

Cull those who don't conform...sure some innocents will suffer but they suffer no matter what philosophy is in play☺ ...kill the folk who fail to respect our rights to ownership and accumulation of wealth.
Alex

Well well well, this is from you Alex, who makes escape routes for mosquitoes,

I am amazed

Leon
Old 21-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Well at least you were not in the car when it was written off by a low loader turning left from the right lane, like my partner last year. Nice little car too , perfect with only 50k on the clock. Driver very apologetic, a little lost. Insurance was only 2/3 the replacement cost. Damn that agreed value. But it could have been way worse if there had been a pole on the footpath. Only a car.