ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-10-2017, 12:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Crashed the walker

My walker has no brakes so it was no surprise in reflection that when I sat on it I went backwards into the garden outside the Commonweath Bank the other day. Did not hurt myself in any way but it was not easy to get up.

What was a surprise was the guy who whatched me go backwards and crash... simply he offerred no help and hurried away as if nothing had taken place.

Do I look that bad?

I mean if he found me just on hands and knees ( rather seeing the whole event unfold) he could think I was drunk and therefore had his reason that he hurried away but clearly an old man (me) had had an accident ...

Fortunately two other men ran over and helped me up.

alex
Old 19-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Wavytone

Alex some people are simply heartless *******s...
Old 19-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Glad to hear you are ok Alex.

Unfortunately there is no accounting for human nature sometimes.
Old 19-10-2017, 01:01 PM
gary

Hi Alex,

Glad you were OK after the tumble and that two guys came to your aid.

A family member tells the anecdote of when he was in his mid-30's
of skiing down a black diamond run and suddenly collapsing.

A woman who was skiing behind him stopped and asked if he was OK.

He said, clutching his chest, that he thought he was having a heart attack.
In fact it transpired he was.

The woman simply skied off, never being seen again and never raising the
alarm to help.

Perhaps she thought that when he said, "I think I am having a heart attack",
he was only kidding around.

As in your case, the moral of the story is perhaps don't count on the first
person who comes along to necessarily rescue you.
Old 19-10-2017, 01:09 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Glad your still with us Alex .... this Forum wouldn't be the same without you...

As long as the Coppers didn't book you for ' Dangerous Operation of a Vehicle '

Col....

Last edited by FlashDrive; 19-10-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 19-10-2017, 01:19 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Alex,

Glad you're OK. My first though was that you had motorised your walker (I think you spoke about doing that) and it had got away on you. I had visions of a run-away walker hitting a tree.

Obviously you need brakes. On Mum's walker the brake handles can be pulled up to stop the walker or pushed down to hold the brakes on, like a hand-brake. Put your name on it too. Apart from them being valuable if you ever wind up in a nursing home or hospital there will be dozens of identical walkers around the place.

The bloke who ran is just an insensitive rissole and hopefully life will sort him out.
Old 19-10-2017, 01:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Glad your still with us Alex .... this Forum wouldn't be the same without you...

Col....
Thank you Col ...I will read that as the forum woulkd not be as nice if..etc...
I prefer to take things as compliments and even if wrong I will be happier.

Yes there was the potential to get really hurt...I even now dont think of what could have gone wrong...there are many folk who hit their heads on the ground and for them it is all over.

However not a scratch or bump but I found I was confused because I had just sat down on the walker and looking at the phone, making a call so the next thing I know I was in the flowers...no sensation of falling just in the flowers it was like a dream ...how did I get here..and the guy hurrying off was dream like.

alex
Old 19-10-2017, 01:29 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Alex,

Glad you're OK. My first though was that you had motorised your walker (I think you spoke about doing that) and it had got away on you. I had visions of a run-away walker hitting a tree.

Obviously you need brakes. On Mum's walker the brake handles can be pulled up to stop the walker or pushed down to hold the brakes on, like a hand-brake. Put your name on it too. Apart from them being valuable if you ever wind up in a nursing home or hospital there will be dozens of identical walkers around the place.

The bloke who ran is just an insensitive rissole and hopefully life will sort him out.
The motorised version (walker) is ready to be assembled but I have lost interest mainly because although the platform is close to the ground to me it seems to be really high (only 4.5 inches) and I have little confidence...

Plus I am getting better I feel, I hope...I seem to be getting my balance back and although my legs throb and tingggle I really think they are improving...I am doing lots of exercise to improve things and again I thank astronomy..building the box observatory, up and down the stairs for tools...all helps and just to have more to do than visit Dad each day helps.

alex
Old 19-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

A few years back, I went to help an elderly lady that fell on the footpath, thinking I hope someone would do the same for my Mum if she was in need.

The lady was quite indigent, told me she was right and shouted at me to get away!

I guess some people can't help others and some others cannot accept help.

Glad U are OK Alex.
Old 19-10-2017, 06:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
A few years back, I went to help an elderly lady that fell on the footpath, thinking I hope someone would do the same for my Mum if she was in need.

The lady was quite indigent, told me she was right and shouted at me to get away!

Glad U are OK Alex.
There are many approaches to the same situation.

Lucky I was not in front of two criminals who could have possibly taken advantage of me being on my back.

Maybe the guy who passed by had tried to help someone earlier in his life and they attacked him.

Things just are, and we dont have to qualify most things, nor make judgement ... peace.

I am missing the point here ...should I sue the bank or the council???

alex
Old 19-10-2017, 08:56 PM
PCH (Paul)

Yeah my brother went to help a blind person to cross the road and got told to "bugger off !" for his trouble. Go figure!
Old 20-10-2017, 01:26 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Yeah my brother went to help a blind person to cross the road and got told to "bugger off !" for his trouble. Go figure!
I figure. The last thing someone with balance problems needs is some dimwit suddenly rushing towards them regards the intentions. or suddenly shouting "NEED A HAND MATE?!!!" anything sudden.

Those of us with disabilities are fully focused on crossing the road, opening the door, whatever it is, because we need to get from A to B. Unless you have the ability to gently levitate us you can NOT help and most of the time YOU become the obstacle we have to navigate around.

Having a physical disability does not require us to have a mental disability either. Having poor muscle control means we have to commit effort from being safe in order to slowly turn our head or even speak. So yeah don't expect us to be as responsive as all you "normal" people.

Want to help? a wad of cash would actually help, I still have to work full time as I'm not disabled enough yet to get any sort of assistance (having a job and a home both also exclude me, I'd have to lose both in order to be considered for the waiting list to see if there is any form of assistance i qualify for). We have greatly increased costs of living and only some get some form of assistance. my medications and physical aids I have to pay full price from my own pocket. I get NO handouts from anywhere ever.

So don't complain they could have been friendlier or they have it easy on welfare. You haven't a damn clue. Its hard enough being alive for most of us without small minded people making false assumptions and judging us. If you want to offer ask softly and kindly and approach at a normal pace from a safe direction where the person is aware of you early. Don't startle them, dont take offence if you are told to $@$^ you might have been the tenth person in the last 60sec to ask the same dumb question. Choose a better phrasing like "is there anything I can do to help?" think what is like to be in a three legged race, getting someone with walking difficulties to take your arm can be just as dangerous but maybe in the situation there is something you can do to help and they could them instruct you exactly what it is even if it seems silly. Blind people (actually everyone, but blind particularly) rely on sound too for balance and navigation. It may be that person had a good uncluttered sound view on a fairly empty street and a helper could become extra noise polution or sound baffle that clouds their view making assistance a source of danger. On a crowded street they might ask you to walk in front clicking your fingers to clear a path for them. Its all different for different disabilities and different circumstances. No such thing as one disability fits all.

Except idiocy. Your post is HIGHLY offensive on so many levels to me, if you'd said that in person in my presence you'd be on the ground in an instant. There is no excuse for intolerance.

steve
Old 20-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post

Glad U are OK Alex.
I bet that inside, she would have been at least a little happy that someone offered to help. Some people are just outwardly independent.

My brother and I were in Perth CBD one day outside the Wesley Church, and we watched an elderly lady begin to topple over (I think from the sun). We were a good 50m away, and the amount of people who walked around her was amazing, in a bad way. It may have been a day headed into thee 40's, and was already high in the 30's.

We both sprinted over to her (50 metres remember, and across 4 or 5 lanes of traffic), and got her to a shaded bench. We stayed with her until she was adamant that she would be ok. We were 18 and 19 at the time.

Alex I'm glad you're ok too. I'd love to find time for a long chat with you over a coffee one day. You sound like you have led a full and varied time on this rock so far.
Old 20-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
if you'd said that in person in my presence you'd be on the ground in an instant. There is no excuse for intolerance.

steve

Oh, the ironing is delicious!

-Bart Simpson
Old 20-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
I figure. The last thing someone with balance problems needs is some dimwit suddenly rushing towards them regards the intentions. or suddenly shouting "NEED A HAND MATE?!!!" anything sudden.

Those of us with disabilities are fully focused on crossing the road, opening the door, whatever it is, because we need to get from A to B. Unless you have the ability to gently levitate us you can NOT help and most of the time YOU become the obstacle we have to navigate around.

Having a physical disability does not require us to have a mental disability either. Having poor muscle control means we have to commit effort from being safe in order to slowly turn our head or even speak. So yeah don't expect us to be as responsive as all you "normal" people.

Want to help? a wad of cash would actually help, I still have to work full time as I'm not disabled enough yet to get any sort of assistance (having a job and a home both also exclude me, I'd have to lose both in order to be considered for the waiting list to see if there is any form of assistance i qualify for). We have greatly increased costs of living and only some get some form of assistance. my medications and physical aids I have to pay full price from my own pocket. I get NO handouts from anywhere ever.

So don't complain they could have been friendlier or they have it easy on welfare. You haven't a damn clue. Its hard enough being alive for most of us without small minded people making false assumptions and judging us. If you want to offer ask softly and kindly and approach at a normal pace from a safe direction where the person is aware of you early. Don't startle them, dont take offence if you are told to $@$^ you might have been the tenth person in the last 60sec to ask the same dumb question. Choose a better phrasing like "is there anything I can do to help?" think what is like to be in a three legged race, getting someone with walking difficulties to take your arm can be just as dangerous but maybe in the situation there is something you can do to help and they could them instruct you exactly what it is even if it seems silly. Blind people (actually everyone, but blind particularly) rely on sound too for balance and navigation. It may be that person had a good uncluttered sound view on a fairly empty street and a helper could become extra noise polution or sound baffle that clouds their view making assistance a source of danger. On a crowded street they might ask you to walk in front clicking your fingers to clear a path for them. Its all different for different disabilities and different circumstances. No such thing as one disability fits all.

Except idiocy. Your post is HIGHLY offensive on so many levels to me, if you'd said that in person in my presence you'd be on the ground in an instant. There is no excuse for intolerance.

steve
Is it just me or does anyone else find this rant offensive, all the person with a disability had to say was " No thanks, I'm fine" .... Good manners don't go astray whether one is disabled or not.....

Sometimes the biggest disability is the big chip on one's shoulder...
Old 20-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Kunama

On a much lighter note......

Glad you're fine Alex, but "Ya needs to work on yer reverse parking matey"
Old 20-10-2017, 03:25 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Good to hear you're ok Alex. Get disc brakes mate!
Don't worry too much about idiots and don't read into it. Any normal person would pick you up. It's common courtesy. Like holding the door or giving up your seat. That's all.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find this rant offensive
Yeah, but I chose to see the ironic end to the rant as a funny thing. It doesn't get up my nose because, as you mention.. the chip is not on my shoulder.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shano592 View Post
Yeah, but I chose to see the ironic end to the rant as a funny thing. It doesn't get up my nose because, as you mention.. the chip is not on my shoulder.
I liked your response Shane I looked for the "Like" button but it was nowhere to be seen....
Old 20-10-2017, 05:46 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yes I am OK in fact I am getting better by the day.

I have started working out and just have a feeling things are getting better.

I even plan to go out without the walker such is the improvement in my legs.

All is good.

Even over coffee my stories are no less boring.

alex