Old 22-08-2017, 07:14 AM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Nice shot Peter. 'Twas a tad too early here (3:15 am) to get up and watch the livestream.

Paul
Old 22-08-2017, 08:00 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

Watched live on NASA tv this morning looked great ,the ones that went will have some nice photos AL
Old 22-08-2017, 08:10 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Nice shot Peter.

High level thin cirrus clouds were at my location. Could easily see all aspects of the event.

The missus got a kick out of it (her first one), especially when I told her to start looking though the binos... I think I had more fun watching her than the eclipse haha. She really went all excited just as 3rd contact approached and she see could see "lots of red stuff" coming off of the sun.

A perfect start to a new chapter in our life, as she just arrived yesterday from Australia.

Now kicking back in Laramie having a beer watching the weather channels coverage of the event.

OIC!
Old 22-08-2017, 08:48 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Weather at Jackson Hole was perfect.

Got some great data. a small sampler attached...jpg only at this this stage, processing RAW files will have to wait until I get back to SYD.

Traffic was however nuts after the eclipse. Glad to be back at the lodge with my feet up.
wow when you do get to processing it those streamers will be fantastic. looking at some other images there will be some great shots to come out of this. Was the landscape a silvery colour during totality?
Old 22-08-2017, 09:26 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Very nice. I'm glad the weather cooperated. I'm also looking forward to seeing the final versions.
Old 22-08-2017, 12:16 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
Watched live on NASA tv this morning looked great ,the ones that went will have some nice photos AL
Me too. It was fantastic. It must have been very exciting to be there.
Old 22-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Allan

It took me 2.5 hours to drive south of St Louis last night, and 6.5 hours just now to get back. Worst traffic I have ever seen.

Won't take the gloss off a fantastic eclipse with perfect weather. The Diamond Ring was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, ever. Spent most of the time looking at the corona through binoculars, that was spectacular.

They got the timing wrong where I was, I'm pretty sure totality only lasted 30 seconds! Where does the time go?

Surreal, spectacular, amazing!!!
Old 23-08-2017, 04:55 PM
roddz (Rodd)

Got some good shots from Casper (400 using Eclipse Orchestrator), but also had some high cloud obscure some of the corona.
Old 24-08-2017, 01:48 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

its been a hectic few days. ive got some down time at PDX to finally get a bit of a report done. my initial spot was Fields Peak, OR, however after getting to the top and realising that even 30 people simply wouldnt fit at the top, i had to abandon it and go to one of my many backup spots. At the trailhead carpark, many people recommended i go to Aldrich Fire Tower, 15 miles west. i had 15kg plus of gear to lug up there, they said it was a much easier ascent than Fields Peak. I debated with myself whether to go or not. In the end i chose to. what an epic decision that turned out to be.

i arrived Sunday morning at Fields Peak, by the time i got to Aldrich it was about 5pm. I went up there, took me 45 minutes with a light payload. I was presented with the most stunning view, and more importantly plenty of space. The fire tower was manned by an elderley couple, the nicest people. They let me stash gear up there so i didnt have to lug it up in the morning (still ended up taking about 13kg up there).

traffic was unexpectedly absent for every authority around. the forest people had a small camp at the bottom expecting to be busy organising hordes of people. as it happens this happened at pretty much every other location in the John Day valley after talking to them, but we got lucky. i slept in the car, and got up at 3am, organised my stuff and started my ascent at 4am. everything was dead quiet, the transparency was incredible at 7000 ft elevation. it took me 2 hours 15 mins to get up there with frequent rest stops. had to be careful not to sweat too much, it was pretty cold.

i took my time watching the sunrise and staking out my spot and began setting up. i was all by myself for at least 3 hours. the couple in the fire tower even made me a cup of coffee and let me use their little dunny (a critical factor often overlooked with these things lol). then the smoke came. there was (and still is) a major fire burning about 200 miles west, and all the smoke was forecast to be pushed completely west, but the winds turned out to be the opposite and injected smoke at high altitude right over me. this was about 2 hours before partial. it was thick. my soul was getting destroyed. it was too late to move, so had to stay. at least i could see the sun so i would see something, but photographs being great i thought were out of the question

people started arriving slowly. we ended up with about 40 of the nicest people ive met, it was a pleasure enjoying it all with all of them. we were all very spread out, everyone had their own space, it was fantastic. i was the only one up there with pro grade gear. every single person came and looked at the sun through the camera at 600mm FL. most had never seen sunspots before and were amazed. every single person had so much respect for me bringing up all that gear and letting them look through it. i was even interviewed by a fella who turned out to be a freelance journalist. pretty much everyone wondered why an aussie would choose that spot! the fire tower had a guest log, can confirm im the first aussie to be there (record went back to 1998).

15 minutes before partial began, the smoke cleared to a very light haze. transparency was average, but way good enough for photos. what an emotional roller coaster. i started getting mega excited, but had to keep a lid on it so i didnt mess up my exposures! every person wanted my contact details, i just gave them my facebook ad, explaining i would be uploading pics as a public post, but i might wait till i get back to AU before uploading a full set. i made many new friends.

i still have no words for totality. ill leave them for another time. we are two days later and i still have no words. i couldnt have been more happy with my pictures, given the atmospheric circumstances. there were so many things i observed in 2 minutes, i had to spend a few hours when i got back to Bend that evening just to digest it all and replay it. every detail i read about, chromosphere, all the corona features, Baileys Beads, Diamond ring, i saw every bit of it and every bit was absolutely amazingly awesome in person.

the most incredible thing i have ever seen. and details which i never read about. eg Corona is pure white to the eye, the purest white, and the moon there is zero discernible earthshine, just the blackest hole you have ever seen. stunningly black. i thought about this, you actually very rarely see something truly black. that thing was black. the contrast was stunning and striking. the corona is overall far far brighter than the full moon. i heard it described as such, but that is completely wrong. lucky i bracketed and tested my exposure sequences. only one ISO adjustment was needed. people describe the surroundings as a sunrise all around at the same time. that is also completely wrong. the lighting is absolutely unique and cannot be effectively described.

i didnt say a single word (checked video recording afterwards).

the crowd reaction added to the ambience. 40 people was just amazing, not too crazy and rowdy, i heard later that in Madras, a town of 6000 people, well over 100000 people were present and someone did silly stuff like letting off a flare, and the sound was deafening.

during totality it was amazingly quiet. i think everyone was just stunned.

towards the end, Mount Hood could be seen fully lit while we were still in shadow. an amazing thing.

i saw the chromosphere emerge from the lunar disc and warned everyone diamond ring was coming. i was watching it live on the screen while i prepared for the final exposure sequence. as i triggered the last few i watched the eclipse end. no Baileys Beads at the end, must have been a large lunar crater or Mare where the sun emerged.

one lady sat on a rock just looking at the sun for the rest of the eclipse, shocked and stunned. her expression and body language was very unique, i think something only a total eclipse can do to someone.

afterwards many people left not wanting to wait for partial to end. i stayed to the end, and i had the highest magnification so i called it when C4 occured. everyone left applauded and thanked the couple in the fire tower for their hospitality. afterwards my new friends helped me carry all my stuff back down. we sat down at their little tent for a couple hours to go over what we saw, obviously i had more time at the camera so there were somethings i wanted them to describe to me.

traffic was completely recked across the state, everyone wanted to leave. i took back roads, pre-planned route, and encountered zero traffic. i had zero internet from 24 hours before C1, so i dont know in the end what traffic was like leading up to the event.

Sorry guys that got really long

i refuse to put pictures here at 200kb. that would be the biggest injustice to the pics i took. ive posted an initial 2 on my facebook wall, public post. Krishan Kara. check it out.
Old 24-08-2017, 01:50 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

sorry to be clear - the Corona was far far brighter than the full moon, whereas id read it was as bright as the full moon.
Old 24-08-2017, 08:16 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkara4 View Post
sorry to be clear - the Corona was far far brighter than the full moon, whereas id read it was as bright as the full moon.
Great thread, many interesting reports - re Corona brightness, I think it's the integrated brightness of the whole thing that sort of compares to the full moon. Inner Corona is pretty intense even compared to the outer corona.
Old 24-08-2017, 11:36 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Great thread, many interesting reports - re Corona brightness, I think it's the integrated brightness of the whole thing that sort of compares to the full moon. Inner Corona is pretty intense even compared to the outer corona.
very good point. i need another eclipse to burn the details i wanted to but didnt into my brain. as Allan says, wow the time goes FAST!!
Old 24-08-2017, 11:38 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
It took me 2.5 hours to drive south of St Louis last night, and 6.5 hours just now to get back. Worst traffic I have ever seen.

Won't take the gloss off a fantastic eclipse with perfect weather. The Diamond Ring was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, ever. Spent most of the time looking at the corona through binoculars, that was spectacular.

They got the timing wrong where I was, I'm pretty sure totality only lasted 30 seconds! Where does the time go?

Surreal, spectacular, amazing!!!
Allan with the unaided eye how many solar radii out do you think you could see the Corona before it was indistuingishable from the background sky? and did you see the three distinct lobes (with the eye)?
Old 24-08-2017, 12:06 PM
leon

Jen, why is your text original and not purple, have you grown out of that phase of your life,
Opp,s if I had looked properly i would have seen some is Purple and some is Black. sorry.

Leon
Old 25-08-2017, 11:10 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

We were in Casper, WY, but on the morning drove to south of Douglas on route 94, to be very close to the center line. There was a nearby field where lots of people gathered and so many large buses turned up - at least 15. We were parked on the side of the road with a clear view in all directions.

The weather was absolutely perfect - the only clouds were around the horizon.

As it was our first eclipse we did not plan to do any real photography, so we just took a few hand-held shots during the event (my wife managed to capture at least one good totality pic). I spent my time just watching it. It certainly went fast, but it was really amazing. I could see (naked eye only) red beads on the moon, a star? that was quite close (and Venus much further away on the other side) and the streaming corona (which was interesting for the shape, with some parts protruding further than others).

For the sky, it looked like everywhere was in near sunset at once, unlike the normal sunset glow. And those clouds helped to bring out the colours. While the light dimmed, it certainly was bright enough to see around easily.

We also noticed the temperature drop as it was going towards totality, so we put on jackets to be comfortable.

While there's a number of things I'll take away from this eclipse, one memory that's strong is that when I saw totality it was like something completely alien - it just was not normal.

I'm starting to plan for the next one.

Edit: Forgot to mention the insane traffic afterwards - we had to drive back to Denver. It should have taken about 4 hrs - it took us 14 hrs instead. I 25 was backed up for many miles - I think more than 100.
Old 27-08-2017, 10:33 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
We were in Casper, WY, but on the morning drove to south of Douglas on route 94, to be very close to the center line. There was a nearby field where lots of people gathered and so many large buses turned up - at least 15. We were parked on the side of the road with a clear view in all directions.

The weather was absolutely perfect - the only clouds were around the horizon.

As it was our first eclipse we did not plan to do any real photography, so we just took a few hand-held shots during the event (my wife managed to capture at least one good totality pic). I spent my time just watching it. It certainly went fast, but it was really amazing. I could see (naked eye only) red beads on the moon, a star? that was quite close (and Venus much further away on the other side) and the streaming corona (which was interesting for the shape, with some parts protruding further than others).

For the sky, it looked like everywhere was in near sunset at once, unlike the normal sunset glow. And those clouds helped to bring out the colours. While the light dimmed, it certainly was bright enough to see around easily.

We also noticed the temperature drop as it was going towards totality, so we put on jackets to be comfortable.

While there's a number of things I'll take away from this eclipse, one memory that's strong is that when I saw totality it was like something completely alien - it just was not normal.

I'm starting to plan for the next one.

Edit: Forgot to mention the insane traffic afterwards - we had to drive back to Denver. It should have taken about 4 hrs - it took us 14 hrs instead. I 25 was backed up for many miles - I think more than 100.
Chris, thanks for your post. same question for you as i asked above how far out did you see the corona extending?

i still have no words for totality and diamond rings.

all i can say is im hooked. absolutely hooked.
Old 27-08-2017, 11:07 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Chris, thanks for your post. same question for you as i asked above how far out did you see the corona extending?
I saw 3 significant "spikes" to the corona. Using the moon diameter for "size" measurement, I think it extended at least another diameter out to maybe 1.25 diameters. I really can't say for sure as I wasn't thinking of that at the time.

Quote:
i still have no words for totality and diamond rings.

all i can say is im hooked. absolutely hooked.
I know I want to see more, and I'd like to have some gear to see things better too. Not sure what I can possibly do for Chile 2019, but I'll think about it.
Old 27-08-2017, 12:36 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
I saw 3 significant "spikes" to the corona. Using the moon diameter for "size" measurement, I think it extended at least another diameter out to maybe 1.25 diameters. I really can't say for sure as I wasn't thinking of that at the time.

I know I want to see more, and I'd like to have some gear to see things better too. Not sure what I can possibly do for Chile 2019, but I'll think about it.
no problem Chris. the reason i ask is because i dont remember either, and now i really want to know and im annoyed at myself for not remembering exactly. however i am with you on pretty much all details there. so maybe we are close

ive done quite a bit of research on Chile. im definitely not doing it alone like this one, and i am extremely wary of going there with all my gear. i also want to go there with someone who speaks spanish, and i know a few people but getting them to commit this early on will be impossible i think.

but i NEED to see that again.

im quite surprised by the lack of reports here from the USA, and the lack of good video on youtube from more amateurs.

ah well its not been a week yet i guess!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:18 PM
alphamone

Finally got home from my trip. Remaking the post that I wrote up on the day but accidentally posted in the completely wrong thread.

At the start we had thick cloud that made first contact almost imperceptible through glasses, though with my filtered camera I was able to get a few (haze blurred) pictures of the early eclipse. As the partial phase progressed, the haze got thinner, and the cloud to the southwest (which is where the wind was coming from) kept promising that the clouds would thin, but the thinner clouds never seemed to come.

It wasn't until about five minutes before totality that I noticed a distinct contrail through the clouds that I realized that the clouds HAD thinned, it was just that because the sun had been dimming, the clouds looked much thicker than they actually were. In the last few minutes before totality, the crickets and other bugs started getting very loud.

Totality itself was very impressive (impressive enough, that as previously mentioned, I forgot about my video camera's filter), even if it was slightly blurred by the mild high-level haze, which meant I needed to use a far higher ISO for my camera than I wanted to. Even with the haze and noise I my photos still show the details of the corona (I haven't gotten round to making cropped versions yet).

In the 15 seconds before third contact, the top right of the corona turned red (presumably the last layers of plasma before the photosphere) which was really impressive.

After totality ended, the insect noise returned, and so did the clouds. Just five minutes after third contact, the sun became completely covered by clouds, at least for around twenty minutes.

The difference in temperature between totality and the last few minutes before 4th contact was dramatic. In totality, the temperature was very pleasant (probably mid 20s C) and when it reached the end of the partial phase, it turned back to stinking hot humid mid 30s C midwest weather.
Old 17-09-2017, 10:31 PM
Protiotype (Ray)

Quote:
ive done quite a bit of research on Chile. im definitely not doing it alone like this one, and i am extremely wary of going there with all my gear. i also want to go there with someone who speaks spanish, and i know a few people but getting them to commit this early on will be impossible i think.

but i NEED to see that again.

im quite surprised by the lack of reports here from the USA, and the lack of good video on youtube from more amateurs.
2019 for Chile might not present as good conditions as 2020 with the sun lower in the sky (therefore having a higher chance of being obscured by cloud) in 2019.

I'm going to run out of money if I try to go to 2020. I've got 2023 (Exmouth) on the cards, and maybe 2024 from Niagara Falls (I haven't been to Canada before and am prepared to chance it with weather; otherwise I'd have to go to Texas and Canada). 2027 in Spain is also a possibility as that'll be my chance to visit Netherlands and Germany while I'm at it. Then it's Australia again in 2028, 2030, 2037, 2038...

Lots of opportunities, but can't take each one for granted!

As for reports and video - it's really difficult to take good video during an eclipse and as far as reports go, most people don't have the attention for viewing my trip photos let alone read through a long report!