Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 19-06-2015, 07:33 PM
rat156

New iMac 27" Retina Display

Hi All,

Basically just gloating here...

I took delivery of a new iMac retina display this week. OMFG the display is sensational. Now to find some 5k video, none around, have to put up with that rubbish 4k stuff.

Just looking at text is glorious.

If you're in the market for a new computer, and you do any sort of photo editing, have a go with one of these beauties.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 19-06-2015, 08:34 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Glad you like it. Which version did you get? As in whats the specs?
Old 19-06-2015, 08:51 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Does it have a handle on it????

Andrew
Old 19-06-2015, 09:26 PM
rat156

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
Glad you like it. Which version did you get? As in whats the specs?
4 GHz, core i7, 32 Gb RAM, 3 Tb fusion drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Does it have a handle on it????

Andrew
Handle free

Cheers
Stuart
Old 19-06-2015, 09:40 PM
gregbradley

Is it a pc or a monitor only?

I need a monitor for my new laptop as the lappie monitor is only so so.

Win 8.

Greg.
Old 19-06-2015, 10:21 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

According to the Apple site. That's $4600. You've probably heard this before. But you could have gotten a killer PC for that money.

You could have got this monitor for example and still had $3000 for the rest of the system.

Just saying. I know people who purchase Apple products don't really care.

I'm also curious with how - what is essentially a laptop graphics card is going to handle and perform on 2880p content with just 2 GB of VRAM.

I'm sure 5K resolution looks great though. With my Nvidia GTX 970 I can use a feature called Dynamic Super Resolution which can upscale my 1080p monitor to 4K resolution. Looks great. Aliasing in games for instance is pretty much eliminated at 2160p. But, it uses up nearly all 3.5 GB + 500 MB VRAM it has when running it at 4k resolution.
Old 19-06-2015, 11:37 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

So Stuart, will you be bringing the iMac to imaging sessions?! It'll look sweet with the rest of your great equipment.

What is the visual difference between 4 and 5k? I'm getting real tempted by the new MacBook Pros!
Old 20-06-2015, 08:44 AM
rat156

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Is it a pc or a monitor only?

I need a monitor for my new laptop as the lappie monitor is only so so.

Win 8.

Greg.
It's an iMac Greg, everything in one box. This model cannot act as a stand alone monitor, previous versions could have. But if you're thinking of carting a 27" monitor to your remote site, then this would not take up that much more space than the monitor and a laptop combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
According to the Apple site. That's $4600. You've probably heard this before. But you could have gotten a killer PC for that money.

You could have got this monitor for example and still had $3000 for the rest of the system.

Just saying. I know people who purchase Apple products don't really care.

I'm also curious with how - what is essentially a laptop graphics card is going to handle and perform on 2880p content with just 2 GB of VRAM.

I'm sure 5K resolution looks great though. With my Nvidia GTX 970 I can use a feature called Dynamic Super Resolution which can upscale my 1080p monitor to 4K resolution. Looks great. Aliasing in games for instance is pretty much eliminated at 2160p. But, it uses up nearly all 3.5 GB + 500 MB VRAM it has when running it at 4k resolution.
Hi Adrian,

Well, firstly the monitor you tagged is only(!) 4k, we should compare apples to Apples. The Dell 5k monitor is the only other one available in Aus I think, that retails for $2300. I paid $3768 (edu discount, first time my kids have saved me money!!). So that leaves $1468 for your "killer" PC. Which will be a PC and run Windows, which I hate. I have to use it at work and in comparison to OS X, there is no comparison. If I need windows, the Mac runs a perfectly acceptable version under emulation. And the hardware that goes into the iMac is good etc., etc., etc.

I know I'll never convince the die hard PC person that their PC is not as good as my Mac, but I don't want to, to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
So Stuart, will you be bringing the iMac to imaging sessions?! It'll look sweet with the rest of your great equipment.

What is the visual difference between 4 and 5k? I'm getting real tempted by the new MacBook Pros!
Hi Simmo,
I don't think it'll make the trip to Heathcote, it doesn't have the necessary software on it, but you never know. Maybe if we do an image processing workshop one weekend.

I bought a new Macbook pro for the daughter at the same time (gotta love 18 months interest free), she'll love it.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 20-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Congrats Stuart, they are a beauty

Been eyeing up one of these myself as an upgrade from my lowly 27" iMac but then I might need to start doing higher quality photos
Old 20-06-2015, 01:54 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Dell and iMac were mentioned...

4K vs 5K
Old 20-06-2015, 04:48 PM
rat156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Congrats Stuart, they are a beauty

Been eyeing up one of these myself as an upgrade from my lowly 27" iMac but then I might need to start doing higher quality photos
That's what I just upgraded from, a late 2012 27" iMac, which was great and perfectly good and all, but the 5k display makes all the difference. All the emoticons and ads on the IIS pages actually look blurry in comparison to anything that is not scaled. 218 ppi is getting close to the 300 dpi that magazines print at. I used to render images at 72 dpi for web versions of magazines, because the average monitor was only 72 dpi, that's all changing now.

Cheers
Stuart