Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 18-01-2017, 09:02 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Astro,

Thank for the link. The difference is in price between tt and pt is not huge as compared to ss and ds and what aperture you want.

I am looking at:
  • ls50/pt/ds - leaning towards this scope
  • ls60/pt/ss
  • ls80/ss

The majority of thr time will be visual only.

Appreciate your help in working out what is best for me. I generally buy to keep for a long time, dont tend to sell stuff.

Will try to get out to see through some solar scopes.

Thanks,

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
Hi Mel,

See discussion on Pressure Tuned vs Tilt Tuned at http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/47...r-tilt-tuning/

and http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/48...ssure-vs-tilt/

Not sure which is better although PT seems to get the nod with a few exceptions. I have TT and it works well for me but mine is Coronado with full size etalon (pre-Meade).

On double stacking note you can always add a second filter later albeit a some considerable cost but it seems this cost is already added if you buy DS up front. Note the LS60 was sold with a 50mm DS filter effectively reducing your 60mm single stack scope to 50mm when using DS. This option lowers the DS cost but now a full size 60mm DS filter is available.

Please clarify if you are considering 50mm DS scope vs 60mm SS scope or is it 50mm DS scope vs 80mm SS scope as your last two replies indicate. A big difference in cost between 50mm DS and 80mm SS but if this is your choice then I think aperture always wins and you can always add an internal DS module to the 80mm later (at some cost though). Lunt don't seem to have a separate 80mm separate filter.

What do you want to do with your solar 'scope?

Casual visual only with the occasional photo or video?
Frequent visual and photo study of the Sun?

If the former then the LS50 PT or TT, SS or DS will provide for many hours of enjoyment over many years provided it is looked after with care. If the latter then greater aperture will give greater resolving power and if you go SS initially you can always add a DS filter even years later.

I too highly recommend you look through a solar telescope if at all possible first even say a PST so you can see what the minimum aperture with broadest band pass will show and see if you like what you see.

Whatever you choose enjoy!
Old 18-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I was going through the same decision only a few weeks back, I've decided I'm eventually going to get a 80mm SS and then go double when I can afford the extra etalon.
Old 18-01-2017, 11:21 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Atmos,

Yeah, its a tough decision as want to get a decent dcope first time and not want to feel the need to upgrade

Happy to save a bit more to get the ls80 ss.

If you dont mind me asking, where do you plan to purchase from?

Thanks,

Mel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I was going through the same decision only a few weeks back, I've decided I'm eventually going to get a 80mm SS and then go double when I can afford the extra etalon.
Old 18-01-2017, 12:51 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Haven't actually thought that far ahead yet, I'm still a ways off from purchasing. I know that atscope.com.au & Andrews Communications are two of the Lunt Solar Australian Distributors.
Old 18-01-2017, 03:34 PM
astro744

Quote:
Haven't actually thought that far ahead yet, I'm still a ways off from purchasing. I know that atscope.com.au & Andrews Communications are two of the Lunt Solar Australian Distributors.
Bintel is also a Lunt and Coronado dealer. Get a quote for both and see what you can get for your money.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
Old 18-01-2017, 03:38 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Atmos,

No problems, good to know as i prefer to buy local.

I have contacted Andrews for a quote

Mel

Quote:
Old 18-01-2017, 03:39 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Astro,

Will contact them as well. Looking at their new site it inly shows the pst , so will definetly give them a bell.

Thanks,

Mel

Quote:
Bintel is also a Lunt and Coronado dealer. Get a quote for both and see what you can get for your money.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
Old 18-01-2017, 07:44 PM
astro744

Yes Bintel's old web site had pricing for the full Lunt and Coronado range but this hasn't made it to their new site. There are definitely authorised vendors for both and a great company to deal with. Ask them for some advice on selection too.
Old 18-01-2017, 08:55 PM
astro744

Hi Mel,

Not sure if you've seen this http://www.iceinspace.com.au/41-641-0-0-1-0.html and http://www.iceinspace.com.au/41-672-0-0-1-0.html

Worth a read before you buy anything.
Old 18-01-2017, 11:35 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Hi Mel, we are going into solar minimum now and aperture will be an important consideration in seeing as much detail as possible. Double stacking does provide a better view of any detail visible, but isn't necessary, a single stack scope can provide some excellent views as well. I've been doing this(Ha solar )for 7 years now and have looked through most of the Coronado and Lunt scopes, as well as the Daystar quarks. I have owned about a half dozen Ha scopes and etalons, and currently own two doublestacked scopes, an LS100 DSll and LS60/60.
If you can afford it, the LS80 SS would be the best choice if you're looking for a long term dedicated scope and you can add the DS unit later. The SS Lunt 80 has the best contrast uniformity of any of the Lunt scopes, due to it's larger internal etalon in relation to the objective lens (50mm, which is the same etalon as used in the SS LS100).
Another option is the Quark, can be used with most refractors, and can produce fantastic views, but not quite grab and go as a dedicated scope.
Whatever you choose, you'll enjoy viewing the Sun in Ha.

Ivan.
Old 19-01-2017, 08:52 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
Just for fun, here's my Mate Rob's Lunt setup which he uses for outreach:

L-R
152mm Ha DS
100mm CaK
100mm Ha DS
100mm White light Herschel Wedge

He uses cameras on the trio and folk get to peer through the eyepiece of the 152! (I was really rather impressed by the white light view BTW)

I was there when Andy Lunt came over from the US with his engineer to install them

Needless to say, you would have to sell a jolly nice car to buy that lot. I'm happy with my 50mm
Hey mate just read this and I came down from Townsville for the Sunday at the school, were you there and not sure if I met you.
I was set up with the two scopes near Ralph

Alan
Old 19-01-2017, 09:55 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Astro,

Thanks for that, will definitely review the link.

There is a lot more to the solar stuff than I originally thought. Appreciate all the advice from everyone on IceInSpace and taking the time to share your experiences

Mel

Quote:
Hi Mel,

Not sure if you've seen this http://www.iceinspace.com.au/41-641-0-0-1-0.html and http://www.iceinspace.com.au/41-672-0-0-1-0.html

Worth a read before you buy anything.
Old 19-01-2017, 10:04 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for that. Always good to get other people's experience such as yourself. I think I made it hard on myself as found that there are so many options and configurations to choose from.

Will definitely consider the ls80 as it was one of the solar scopes I was thinking of getting. Just need to double my budget that I was planning to spend. The price really goes up severely for the scopes and adding the ds doubles it again.

Speaking to the vendors in Australia they mentioned that Lunt has to be pretty much ordered and its a 6 month wait as well to get one. The prices also are pretty hefty Prefer to support local.

Thanks again,

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUS.K View Post
Hi Mel, we are going into solar minimum now and aperture will be an important consideration in seeing as much detail as possible. Double stacking does provide a better view of any detail visible, but isn't necessary, a single stack scope can provide some excellent views as well. I've been doing this(Ha solar )for 7 years now and have looked through most of the Coronado and Lunt scopes, as well as the Daystar quarks. I have owned about a half dozen Ha scopes and etalons, and currently own two doublestacked scopes, an LS100 DSll and LS60/60.
If you can afford it, the LS80 SS would be the best choice if you're looking for a long term dedicated scope and you can add the DS unit later. The SS Lunt 80 has the best contrast uniformity of any of the Lunt scopes, due to it's larger internal etalon in relation to the objective lens (50mm, which is the same etalon as used in the SS LS100).
Another option is the Quark, can be used with most refractors, and can produce fantastic views, but not quite grab and go as a dedicated scope.
Whatever you choose, you'll enjoy viewing the Sun in Ha.

Ivan.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi All,

Just like to say thanks to everyone for their advice and taking time to respond.

I ended up getting a Lunt ls60 tha/pt/ss as they had it in stock. Will look to ds at a later stage whwn finds allow.

I do have a question on focusing and getting detail. Not sure if i am doing it right?

I can get a sharp red ball but don't know if i should be seeing alot of detail as my understanding the sun is in solar minimum?
The focusing is a bit different with the pressure tuner and not sure i got it completely right. I thought i saw black dots on the left side of the sun but couldnt see it again as the focus comes in and out alot.

Thanks again,

Mel
Old 08-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Mel,
I'm sure you will be very happy with the Lunt.
Focus first of all at getting the edge of the solar disk as sharp as possible.
The next stage is to tune the etalon to the center of the Ha wavelength.
As you say things are a bit quiet at the moment, but there was an obvious filament visible yesterday.
It takes practice but you'll quickly get the hang of it.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:33 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that. Wasnt sure if I was doing something wrong?
Tuning the etalon is done via the pressure tuner. Do i just keep turning the tuner knob up until i start seeing details? Apologies for the newb questions?

Thanks,

Mel
Old 09-02-2017, 07:33 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Hi Mel, as the manual says, make sure you equalise the PT to ambient pressure first by unscrewing the black cylindrical tuning handle.
At that aperture no matter how low the solar activity level, the disk seen in H alpha will never be completely featureless.
If you can see sunspots as black areas (that's what the black dots may have been) on an otherwise blank looking disk - sort of like a red version of a white light solar image - it's not on band yet and needs more tuning.

Nice scope, have fun!
Old 09-02-2017, 09:18 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi N1,

Thanks for that. I have unscrew the pt completely. Just need to get it focused i guess and then adjust the pt.

Thanks again for your help.

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Hi Mel, as the manual says, make sure you equalise the PT to ambient pressure first by unscrewing the black cylindrical tuning handle.
At that aperture no matter how low the solar activity level, the disk seen in H alpha will never be completely featureless.
If you can see sunspots as black areas (that's what the black dots may have been) on an otherwise blank looking disk - sort of like a red version of a white light solar image - it's not on band yet and needs more tuning.

Nice scope, have fun!
Old 12-02-2017, 08:17 PM
m11 (Mel)

Thanks everyone for your help.

I was able to focus the ls60pt and seeing 3 sunspots and a flare on the right side.

I did notice my scope looks like it is not straight between a join. Doesnt seem to effect the performance but might ask everyone if it is a concern.

Thanks again,

Mel
Old 12-02-2017, 09:19 PM
m11 (Mel)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170212_200425lunt.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	210224

The join between red and black components in that the gap gets bigger to the right of the scope.

Thanks,

Mel