Old 01-01-2017, 11:49 AM
doug mc

Finally the pup

Yes last night i finally spotted the pup. Straight overhead around midnight. Tried a lot of different types of scope, but finally managed it with my new Bintel 8inch GSO dobsonian. Using a 8mm ed paradigm eyepiece, with and without Meade2x shorty barlow. I won't be selling this scope soon.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Robh (Rob)

Good job!

I believe it takes good seeing conditions to tease this star out. Overhead would certainly help.

Was it on one of the diffraction spikes? Many times I've seen it, the Pup was on a diffraction spike. Makes it tricky.

Regards, Rob
Old 01-01-2017, 01:44 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Great catch Doug. Welcome to the Club!

Steve.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:59 PM
doug mc

When i first spotted it , it was just above one of the diffraction spikes. It certainly could be lost in a spike. Could not belive it at first. Tried again without the barlow, and it was still there at the lower power of 150x. Something to look for again when the stars show little sign of tinkling.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:25 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

I saw it in my 29" newt years ago. Had to be really careful to keep Sirius out of the FOV before looking otherwise you got serious retinal burn-in like glancing at a welding spark. Pup vanished in that glare but otherwise it was a good target. Well done bagging it in an 8" That's a real accomplishment!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:49 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

A group of us managed it in my C925 at last years first Snake Valley camp, conditions were spot on through. It was far easier to see in a nearby big dob but you could clearly make it out in mine.

I have had a go a couple of times since but have had no joy, must be time to have another try.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:35 PM
doug mc

The star test in this GSO dob is the best i have seen in any scope i have owned. Can't wait to see Jupiter when it gets higher. Should be able to count off some of the craterlets in Plato should only the sky clear.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:03 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi,
To make it a tad easier to split/see, why not try making up a few aperture masks with differently shaped/sized cut-outs in them?

Say....a hexagonal, square, triangular etc., etc.
The "desired hole" should be around say, a 3rd the diam. of your t'scope aperture.

On my (now gone, Meade 10" DOB), I made up a full aperture mask out of black card stock, taped it to the outside of the t'scope,
cut an 80 mm hole in it, off-set to clear the spider vanes & simply
temporarily taped the slightly larger diam. "hexagonal/triangular/square" (whatever shape) over the 80 mm hole.
To use... & remove the diffraction spikes, just rotate the shaped mask.
Works very well.
Old 13-01-2017, 12:28 PM
doug mc

Saw the pup again. It was cloudy, with a northerly flow. When it cleared the stars were almost without a twinkle. Sirius looked good, so i gave it another shot. Using an eq mount this time i was able to place the scope tube in a way that placed the diffraction spikes out of the way. Both the 8mm paradigm and the Celestron7mm x-cel lx showed it steady. Shows you don't need expensive glass.
Old 31-01-2017, 01:10 PM
doug mc

And now on to the elusive Alpine Valley rill.
Old 31-01-2017, 08:54 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mc View Post
Yes last night i finally spotted the pup. Straight overhead around midnight. Tried a lot of different types of scope, but finally managed it with my new Bintel 8inch GSO dobsonian. Using a 8mm ed paradigm eyepiece, with and without Meade2x shorty barlow. I won't be selling this scope soon.
Hi Doug. Glad you finally bagged Sirius B ; and yes it is often lost in a diffraction spike, as soo many people are unaware that this can happen all to often!
And those Gso dobs /reflectors can shock one with how good some can be!!
PS: Try Antares some time in Autumn/Winter.
Cheers bigjoe.
Old 31-01-2017, 08:59 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mc View Post
Saw the pup again. It was cloudy, with a northerly flow. When it cleared the stars were almost without a twinkle. Sirius looked good, so i gave it another shot. Using an eq mount this time i was able to place the scope tube in a way that placed the diffraction spikes out of the way. Both the 8mm paradigm and the Celestron7mm x-cel lx showed it steady. Shows you don't need expensive glass.
Agreed Doug ; you simply need good glass, patience, and seeing most importantly! !
Old 31-01-2017, 09:10 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Re Sirius

- VIZ SIRIUS:
THIS WAS A LIST I COMPILED WITH THE HELP OF STEVE (Tinderboxsky), Matt t,bombardon and some others.
1: SEEING - Must be excellent.

2: ALTITUDE - Well above the horizon in
most instances.

3: APERTURE - 100mm+, Cooled and well collimated, though probably no more than 12" due to the affects of seeing on large obstructed scopes; though it now appears certain, that even a 70mm achromatic refractor of long focal length can result in DETECTION!

4: POWER - The use of it is necessary - Helps darken sky background, and with limiting magnitude ; 200x + may be needed.

5: USE A MASK - Hex , may be necessary.

6: ORIENTATION - Is your diagonal/scope displaying an upright E/W view; If not adjust accordingly.

7: PRACTISE on Rigel say - Bright, with similar separation. Know what a separation of 10" will look like in your go - to EP - VIZ - Know your field.

8: DRIFTING - Let Sirius A drift past the field stop , and disappear, as B will surely follow.

9: WARM CLOTHING , and stool if necessary.

10: PATIENCE - and lots of it - It could take many attempts!

11: LESS GLASS - Use of EP with fewer elements 4/5 max to increase contrast and detection, may be of help.

12:AVERTED AND DIRECT VISION - Go back and forth between direct and averted vision, until the companion is held in direct view.

13: ZOOM EP - Use of a good marked zoom EP, to find the optimum power for the seeing and filters if necessary.

14:HIGHLY ACCURATE FOCUS - TOGETHER WITH A NICE FLAT FIELD, FREE OF CURVATURE - this is a must also , and you may have to re-focus often.

15:VERY STABLE MOUNT - Absolutely no wobbles!

16:VIEWING AT TWILIGHT - Can reduce the glare of Sirius A - and this goes for other bright primary doubles as well!

17: HOOD or COWL; this WILL help if streetlights or other bright light sources are a nuisance -- I rarely observe without one in any case.
Hope this helps.
Cheers bigjoe.