Old 09-01-2020, 11:08 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Two Oppositions in July 2020

I enjoy looking at the two major planets, especially the motions of their Moons. It gives me a real 3D feel about space.

Jupiter is at opposition on July 14th and Saturn on July 21st. So, the they can be viewed and compared with each other at their best. Previously, I have thought Jupiter was the more impressive when compared like this, but, as I get older my taste in many things is changing, so I may be in for a surprise.

Though close for most of 2nd half of the year, they are not in conjunction till December and may be to near the Sun to be seen.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
I enjoy looking at the two major planets, especially the motions of their Moons. It gives me a real 3D feel about space.

Jupiter is at opposition on July 14th and Saturn on July 21st. So, the they can be viewed and compared with each other at their best. Previously, I have thought Jupiter was the more impressive when compared like this, but, as I get older my taste in many things is changing, so I may be in for a surprise.

Though close for most of 2nd half of the year, they are not in conjunction till December and may be to near the Sun to be seen.
Cheers Bob,

I will plonk those dates into the calender.. Saturn has always done it for me.. simply mesmerising...IMHO
Old 09-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

And don’t forget the good opposition of Mars later in the year.

The very close Jupiter-Saturn conjunction in December is very tantalising. I will be making every effort to observe this even if it means travelling to find clear skies low in the west. At least down here there will be sufficient opportunity in the fading twilight to observe this at closest approach. The two are very close on the days before and after the closest approach, so hopefully there will be a break in the weather to observe this.

The two planets and their moons in the one medium power FOV should be quite a sight even if the low elevation robs the planets of fine surface detail.

It will be worth trying for a full daylight observation earlier on the day. No moons to observe though.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:19 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Am eagerly awaiting the 3 oppositions in July and October . Maybe the last chance to get Mars at +20 arc sec. in my astro life. By the time the next good oppositions come around in the 2030 s' I'll be in my 80 s' if still alive so hope to make the most of this opportunity, with more aperture for imaging.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:22 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Oh, and not forgetting Jupiter and Saturn in December ( thanks for the reminder Steve ) in the same medium power FOV , though they will be low down in the west after sunset.