Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 18-02-2013, 03:11 AM
NightCal

Anyone using a graphics tablet?

As I get more into image processing, I'm more and more beginning to see the power of Photoshop tools such as layer masks and the history brush. My first attempts have been woeful due to my complete cackhandedness with a mouse (I'm so unco-ordinated it's scary). Rather than give up (probably the wisest move!), I'm thinking about buying a cheapish graphics tablet so that I can get finer control for this type of image processing.

http://www.amazon.co...=I177PAXL20YMMO

Does anyone else use this type of graphics tablet for image processing?
Old 18-02-2013, 04:38 AM
supernova1965 (Warren)
Buddhist Astronomer

The only problem I have had with cheap ones is that the tablet doesn't have the same relative orientation to the page size on the computer making it very difficult to get proportion and the correct position right. But I haven't used one for years now and it cost $150
Old 18-02-2013, 06:36 AM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

I had one for a while and loved it, so much infact that I stopped using the mouse altogether and was using the tablet for everything, including web browsing. For me it had a more 'natural' feel about it compared to a mouse, like a touch screen in a distant kind of way, but more precise.
It ended up dying tho and I have never replaced it.
Old 18-02-2013, 07:16 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Yep - I use a Bamboo - much easier to select areas than with the mouse.
Old 19-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Colin_Fraser

The Bamboo is pretty basic.
If you are serious about image editing with Photoshop you cannot go past a Wacom Intuos.
It has a lot more features than the Bamboo.
My preference is for the 6x4 tablet over the larger ones.
Just my opinion of course.
Old 19-02-2013, 10:33 PM
allan gould

Like Peter I also use a Bamboo because he put me onto it. Great piece of equipment
Old 20-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Poita (Peter)

Don't bother with a cheapie, get a decent Wacom that is the same aspect ratio as your computer screen.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WACOM-Intu...item35c49dab88

i.e. get a 16:9 or a 4:3 tablet depending on your monitor type.

Once you use a Wacom you will never want to use a mouse again, they really make a huge difference.
Old 20-02-2013, 07:15 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I agree - if you don't care about the cost go for the most expensive model. It must be better. The Bamboo works fine for what I'm doing.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...dex&cPath=1176
Old 20-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

+1 for Wacom systems.

I've been using an Intuos 3 for many years now, and, I just couldn't go back to a mouse. The mouse will always have its place, but, for Photoshop work, a nice large tablet and stylus is a godsend.

I just bought a 30" Apple Cinema Display, and, will likely upgrade to the new Intuos, too.

H
Old 20-02-2013, 09:49 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Another +1 for Wacom.
Tablets are fantastic, I haven't used a mouse for about 8 years! less RSI and you're not always searching for your cursor on screen as you develop a kinesthetic memory of where the cursor is based on where your hand/arm is. I can navigate some areas of my desktop at work literally with my eyes closed!
Make sure you use absolute (pen) mode not relative (mouse) mode, I know a few people who have hated their first tablet because they tried to use it like a mouse and not a tablet. Also give yourself a couple of weeks to get used to it, it will take you a while to get as confident with it as you are with as mouse.
The Bamboo tablets are fine but if you can afford it go for an Intuos. Even a good second hand Intuos 2 will make you happier than the latest Bamboo.
Also I wouldn't worry about the aspect of the tablet matching your screen unless you plan on tracing stuff. I find it's better to minimise the amount you have to move your hand side to side but I guess it depends on the size of your tablet. For example at work I have 2 16x10 monitors so an aspect of 16x5 (32x10) and I use a 6x11" 16x9 Intuos 3 which feels fine. At home I use a 6x8" Intuos 3 with a 16x10 monitor and it also feels fine. I also have a small 16x9 Bamboo tablet that I use with my 16x9 laptop and it too is fine.
Old 20-02-2013, 10:10 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Have been looking at replacing my tablet that died years ago, the Wacom's apparently come bundled with software, can anyone tell me if they are working versions or only trial versions? The Wacom website doesn't say.
Old 27-02-2013, 02:45 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I've been using tablets for over 15yrs for graphics work (3D modelling, photography) and they are great tools. They haven't replaced the mouse for me, they are just a different tool more suited to work where I need a more "natural" feel.

I've used tablets up to 16" but find I prefer the smaller 4" or maybe a 6" area to work with (so my forearm can rest flat and my hand is more stable to sketch or follow lines smoothly). Do you waggle your mouse all across your desk or just over a few square inches? The larger tablets mean you are moving your arm a lot, its tiring and less precise.

As for included software, there should be a disc with drivers but I don't recall any actual software bundles (I haven't had to buy a tablet for years, mine still works fine). Contact Wacom for more information on the software but it'll probably be either trial software or a cheap product if they're including graphics software.
Old 27-02-2013, 03:39 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
but it'll probably be either trial software or a cheap product if they're including graphics software.
Cheers Sil, Wacom's website says that Photoshop Elements (among others) is included, so I would think it is only a trial too, but happy to have it confirmed by anyone that has bought a Wacom relatively recently.

http://www.wacom.asia/intuos5/bundled-software
Old 27-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I bought mine second hand at a ridiculously good price, so, can't confirm/deny bundled software, sorry, Simon. :S

I will be moving to a newer Intuos soon, though. I have to agree with sil, the big one I'm using at the moment, while wonderful, does tend to strain the arm a bit moving all over the place. Making smaller movements would be better.

H
Old 27-02-2013, 09:28 PM
gb_astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Cheers Sil, Wacom's website says that Photoshop Elements (among others) is included, so I would think it is only a trial too, but happy to have it confirmed by anyone that has bought a Wacom relatively recently.

http://www.wacom.asia/intuos5/bundled-software
I think you will find all those programs are the fully working real thing.
You definitly get the serial number for PS Elements 10 on the software disk.

gb.
Old 27-02-2013, 09:33 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Cheers gb

I also noticed that Photoshop Elements bundled with the Intuos is v10, and that with the Bamboo is v9, while the current version of PE is v11, so perhaps Wacom struck a deal with Adobe to clear old stock?

Either way, looks like I'm getting a new tablet
Has been so long, I wonder if it's like riding a bike?
Old 28-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Tandum (Robin)

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...085#post951085

I got one for sale ....
Old 03-12-2020, 02:58 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Knowing nothing about graphics tablets...

Is this a good buy?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/w...oaArMfEALw_wcB

Cheers
Old 05-12-2020, 02:20 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Knowing nothing about graphics tablets...

Is this a good buy?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/w...oaArMfEALw_wcB

Cheers
Hello Carlton,
Yes it is. I recently bought one for these for my Daughter, for $30 more. That is a good sale, and as the thread spells out, the Wacom's are not rubbish at all. You will not regret it.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:25 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Hello Carlton,
Yes it is. I recently bought one for these for my Daughter, for $30 more. That is a good sale, and as the thread spells out, the Wacom's are not rubbish at all. You will not regret it.
Thanks Andy,

I ended up getting the blue tooth version at $149, still a saving of $30 over normal retail...

I've done a bit of research & the small one seems adequate for photo editing which is predominantly what I want it for...

I can't draw for nix but, I'm curious if there is some software that works with the tablet to teach one how to draw? Always keen to learn new skills

Cheers