Old 21-03-2011, 01:24 PM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Connecting Parallel camera

I am thinking of getting an older parallel CCD camera to use for astroimaging. (as well as using my QHY9) The reason for this is because some of those older cameras have large pixel sizes which I think would suit my long focal length scope. I want to image Planetaries.

What is the best way to connect Parallel to USB. I am running Vista and XP. Is there a difference in the operating systems when hooking up to Parallel?

Thanks

Frank
Old 21-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Frank

When I was researching a USB or PCMCIA to DB25 Parallel adapter, I discovered that not all of these adapters are made equal. It seems that the adapter must be specifically designed to emulate a (more modern) native Parallel Port in order for a Parallel CCD camera to function correctly, so I would only purchase an adapter that has been verified to work.

I still have an older ST7E with the 25-pin D style Parallel connector but I also have a Notebook and a Docking Station with a native 25 way Parallel port so in the end I didn’t need an adapter.

If I remember correctly, some important characteristics were “Bi-Directional” (data both ways simultaneously) and Extended Capability Port (ECP).

Cheers

Dennis
Old 21-03-2011, 07:12 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Frank,

I have a Transdigital PCMCIA card which works. Here's my experiences:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=6897

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=6421

Al.
Old 27-03-2011, 10:04 PM
higginsdj
A Lazy Astronomer

If its an SBIG ccd then SBIG provide their own recommendations. Straight out USB-parallel interfaces will not work. I have aexpress card on order from Amazon to see how it will work with my ST-8, but I have 2 parallel port laptops and 2 spare PCs as backup computers.

http://www.sbig.com/pdffiles/NoLegacyParallelPorts.pdf

Cheers
Old 28-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Barrykgerdes

Hi

Modern laptops do not have parrallel ports which is often a nuisance for us users of equipment that operates from these ports.

Some of the older ones have a PMCIA slot where a parallel port can be added but these are quite rare now also.

The USB-parallel port devices are designed only to drive a printer and lack the control of feeding data to an assigned port and are completely useless for parallel port tasks other than driving a printer.

However standard PC's still usually have a PCI slot available and there are parallel port cards available for these.

Further to this Vista, XP, Windows 7 have inhibited the direct access to ports as part of their security policy which means that even if you have a parallel port card you may not be able to drive your equipment. However there is a work around for this that runs a short program to patch the operating system. Google "userport.sys"

Barry

Last edited by Barrykgerdes; 28-03-2011 at 08:02 AM.