Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2019, 06:05 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Academic Earth

From the website:
Academic Earth believes that everyone has the right to a world-class education. Recognizing the existing barriers in academia, we continue our efforts to curate an unparalleled collection of free online courses from the world's top universities. Moving forward, we honor the egalitarian spirit of Academic Earth's founders as we develop a platform to facilitate the global sharing of ideas, both inside and outside the classroom.
In addition to our comprehensive collection of free online college courses, Academic Earth features an ongoing series of original videos. These videos tap into our belief that a great deal of learning happens outside the classroom in those unstructured moments when provocative questions are raised, debated, and sometimes answered. We embrace intellectual curiosity and encourage the Academic Earth community to share our videos to launch their own discussions. After all, only through questioning the world around us, can we come to better understand it.

For example, there are 47 video lectures "Fundamentals of Physics, I and II" by Ramamurti Shankar, the John Randolph Huffman Professor of Physics at Yale University, in New Haven, Connecticut. Each video is over 1 hour duration.
Also, 27 45-50min video lectures in Quantum Mechanics by Professor James Binney, a British astrophysicist. He is a professor of physics at the University of Oxford and former head of the Sub-Department of Theoretical Physics as well as an Emeritus Fellow of Merton College

These online courses are free!!!

https://academicearth.org/physics/

What a time we live in...
Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM
spaceout
Fresh Blood

If I may add a suggestion to check out this website as well. https://www.edx.org/

I assisted in teaching the first couple classes during the prototype run back in 2012/13. It's grown from about 27,000 students during the second prototype run to over 15 million people today. Something I am particularly proud of contributing a small part to.

It's quite polished now with a lot more of the big named schools involved. It originated as M.I.T./Harvard initiative starting with one class, I think we are now over 2,000 classes being offered. Its the real deal.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:26 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Hi spaceout,
I can see why you'd be proud to be involved, looks great.

These kinds of projects remind me of the positive things humanity is capable of.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 AM
bojan
amateur

Interesting...
Couple of years ago I (and couple of others from this forum) did Coursera's free course "Introduction to Astronomy" (Duke Uni, Prof. Ronen Plesser).

There was also one from Edinburgh Uni, but nothing since.
I will certainly look at this