Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

DSLR Power Issues??

Hey guys. Recently got my hands on a second hand 5D Mk 2. Been having issues with the battery I think. When in the charger, it never shows full charge, but when I check the voltage, it appears to be full. The camera also shows the battery being completely empty?

After a bit of fiddling, I can get the camera to come on and show FULL 100% battery, but only if I open the battery door, and close it again. I can scroll through all the menus, but when I go to take a photo, it shuts off, and shows low battery. Open and close the door again, and the battery is full, but same thing, try to take a photo, and the battery is low again!!??

Im, thinking (hoping) the battery is stuffed….Any thoughts?
Erik
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Draco (Niv)

Is that a NiCad Battery in the camera? Reminds me of the old days when this used to happen to my mobile. NiCads retained a memory so they would cutoff before being fully charged and will show it is fully charged when it is not.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:57 AM
E_ri_k (Erik)

It's a Li-ion battery. Managed to get a couple of photos out of it, but eventually the same thing happens. Noticed that when it turns off, when looking through the viewfinder, the display shows an empty battery icon with "Err" after it. Can't seem to find any info on the net about it. Thinking I'm going to have to try a new battery. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

After a bit of googling, I'm pretty positive the battery is dead. Will buy a new one and hope for the best!