Old 26-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Carl

Skywatcher focuser with robofocus

Greetings
Specific target goup i'm calling upon here. I have a Skywatcher ed120 (Black Diamond) and after adjusting tension and paralizing screws i now have no focus shift and sharp focus by hand. I have contacted robofocus in the US and am looking at one of their units and also purchasing ImagesPlus to gain the full benifit of Aouofocus functions.

Q1. Anyone out there got the same set up as me and would care to comment?
Q2. I'ts not a cheap exercise but i can afford to do it, am i going overkill for the focuser and scope that i have? I will be at my budget limit if i also add $400 for a new Moonlite focuser.

Opinions greately appreciated

Regards
Carl Rainer
Old 26-02-2012, 10:46 AM
rally

Robofocus

Carl,

One of the benefits of the Robofocus system is that the bracket might be specific to your particular Telescope's focus system, but most of the rest of it will fit any other telescope with the addition of a new bracket.
The motor and the controller are universal
They even work as a rotator with the appropriate hardware and drivers - eg the Takometer for Takahashi scopes.

So if you upgrade telescopes later then you you simply buy or make a new bracket and you continue using the same robofocus unit.

Of course you would need to delete your FocusMax focus curves for the old telescope and create a new set !

For astrophotography you are definitely doing one of the best things you can possibly do.

Even if you upgrade the focusser's mechanical system, you will still be able to use it - unless you get a dedicated integrated electronic/mechanical focusser.

Rally
Old 27-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally View Post
Carl,

One of the benefits of the Robofocus system is that the bracket might be specific to your particular Telescope's focus system, but most of the rest of it will fit any other telescope with the addition of a new bracket.
The motor and the controller are universal
They even work as a rotator with the appropriate hardware and drivers - eg the Takometer for Takahashi scopes.

So if you upgrade telescopes later then you you simply buy or make a new bracket and you continue using the same robofocus unit.

Of course you would need to delete your FocusMax focus curves for the old telescope and create a new set !

For astrophotography you are definitely doing one of the best things you can possibly do.

Even if you upgrade the focusser's mechanical system, you will still be able to use it - unless you get a dedicated integrated electronic/mechanical focusser.

Rally
Thanks Rally. Appreciate your reply