Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 26-03-2005, 10:53 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Thanks for the info (as scarey as the prices are)

Can't afford Canon Cameras, Laptops or any fancy gear and the PC is in the kitchen, about 100 metres away from viewing site up the back paddock. I will stick with a $195 Kodak Digital cheapie like my daughters and do Afocal (hope that's what it's called) photography.

I'll rig up a mount to hold it in place. I had fun taking the few I did manage to take at low mag, so looking forward to buying the Kodak and using 9mm or 6.5mm EP's.
Old 27-03-2005, 12:03 AM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

Don't forget too fellas that afocal astrophotography isn't the only thing you can do with a digital camera. You can also do piggyback wide field astro shots, albeit limited if the digital camera cannot do longish exposures. My digital camera can only do 8 seconds or less. But it's enough to do portraits of constellations and nice conjunction photos though. And you could always stack shorter exposures anyway if the allowed settings on the digital camera aren't too impractical for it.
Old 27-03-2005, 12:20 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Thanks Silvie, but what is piggy-back photography?
Old 27-03-2005, 01:08 AM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

Piggy-backing is where the camera rides or sits atop your scope. You can also hand rig devices for this kind of setup, so as long as the camera stays put. I found a metal bracket that I just made a hole on top to fit the screw hole on the bottom of my camera with an appropriate screw bit. The bottom of this bracket then attaches to the scope rings through another screw hole (didn't need to drill this one thank goodness!) It's pretty much stable. I saw in S&T a few issues back where this woman basically holds her camera in place with rubber bands (from what I remember). I'm hoping to start manually guided film astro shots this way to get started in wide field shots. I'm going to worry about prime focus later...
Old 27-03-2005, 10:35 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Quick question to Rohan, why aren't you using the LPI that came with your LX90??
Old 27-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Rohan

Computer is to far from the scope for it to be worthwhile at the moment. Would be running between to two focusing & such. Plus had a look at the software and way to complicated for me at the moment. When i get a laptop i'll start using it.