Old 24-06-2015, 09:45 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

OAG for FSQ106

Weighing up options for using an OAG on my FSQ-106ED. Astrodon is out of the question unfortunately (and Lars just sold his MOAG...GRRRR!), so looking at the TS Giant OAG.

One question for those that use an OAG on the FSQ - does the guide turret head hit the CAA? I assume at focus it does not, but with such a short focus throw on these, am concerned that the guide turret head might touch with the CAA.

This OAG is Zeiss M68 threaded, so will need to purchase both the M72 to M68 adapter (telescope side) and the M68 to T2 adapter (camera side), PLUS the CS mount adapter for the Lodestar... is anything cheap in astronomy?

That's if it all "fits" without issue, and with these adapters, even comes to focus. Ay, caramba!
Old 24-06-2015, 09:51 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

First thing I did with mine is to get a couple of adapters machined so I can thread directly onto the captain wheel. Then everything downward is compatible with standard bits and pieces that I already use on all my other scopes. TAK adapters and combinations are too complicated and too costly. The OAG I use is from Starlight Xpress, the one that came with the AO. I use it on everything. Newt, C11, FSQ. I also have a plug from TAK to M42. Then it's a no brainer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TAK_adapters.jpg)
192.7 KB19 views

Last edited by multiweb; 24-06-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 24-06-2015, 04:08 PM
gregbradley

Astrodon is probably out on more than just price. Its 45mm thick including the thinnest adapters. I am using mine on the Honders and that is the thinnest I can get it.

I have a couple of the SX OAG. They are a bit light weight and only so so quality. If everything is snugged down it might be allright but the part the guide cam attaches to can rock in its slot. Tolerances are a bit poor.

Greg.