Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-02-2021, 05:01 AM
denodan (Dennis)

Can use alt alz for EAA, dobt need an EQ MOUNT

Who says you cannot get astro photos from an alt alz mount? The first thing they tell you is you need an GRM mount, not true, there is a thing called live stacking and is an in-between way of getting photos, inbetween visual and astrophotography and this enable reasonable results.

Sure not up to astrophotography standards, but still better than visual.

I thevorion Nebula with my 9.25, SCT, 0.5x reducer and a 120mc-s, been trying out with sharpcap, since no planets to photograph.

While an EQ mount would give better results, since your not saving your images to pc and live stacking, sharpcsp derotates and when your happy save as a final image, so basically nearly live. My only second attempt so can only get better. Touched it up in Gimp, so just learning and experimenting, wont be as good as astrophotography but better than visual and that to me is all that matters. Looking at either the Orion starshoot g4, or QHY5III462 which I am leaning to. And slightly better than the asi224 and can get the QHY5III462 in NZ. I know quite a few use the asi224 planetary camera for EAA, but think the QHY would be better.

While the Orion has a very senstive chip and cooled the cost is lower res, but in EAA a more sensitive chip can gain more info in a shorter time and it is a cooled camera

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1613880830179.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	272246