Old 13-06-2017, 11:19 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Thanks for posting this RB, good to clarify and remind everyone of the rules that are needed to prevent such rude/insensitive posts. I forgot to say, a pm is all that's needed. I've had a few folks ask for my data to reprocess to see what they can achieve. I'm always interested in seeing other's results. But in a controlled, explainable way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Mike Salway and Terry (mojo), the owners of IIS, have made it clear in the past that people do not have the right to just go ahead and re-process someone else's work and post it up without the express permission of the owner of the data.

This is not permitted and is an unwritten rule here.
The moderators have been asked to step in at times when this has happened.
I've even had to ban a certain individual, who, even after we asked him to stop, had taken it upon himself to continue to do so in the name of 'Science'.

It is akin to walking up to someone's gear on the observing field and taking an eyepiece to try out for yourself without asking their permission.

If anyone here belongs to any well established photography forum then you'd know that editing someone's work without their permission is expressly forbidden and could earn you a stern warning or a ban.

Also another thing mojo had asked me to keep an eye on is people posting images on here that are not their own.
This is not acceptable either, you need to post a link to the image instead and give reference to the source and/or author.
Posting an image via attachment that's not your own is not allowed.

Hope this clarifies some 'etiquette rules' here on IIS.

RB
Old 13-06-2017, 11:38 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Thanks for posting this RB, good to clarify and remind everyone of the rules that are needed to prevent such rude/insensitive posts. I forgot to say, a pm is all that's needed. I've had a few folks ask for my data to reprocess to see what they can achieve. I'm always interested in seeing other's results. But in a controlled, explainable way.
Exactly Simmo.
If one has permission then by all means we're fine with that.

Old 13-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Exactly Simmo.
If one has permission then by all means we're fine with that.

But what about that old adage, "It is better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission."
Old 13-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

My 2c worth - I wouldn't want my images reprocessed without permission either, but will gladly and happily take written constructive critique.

In fact I've learned so much that I couldn't begin to name all those here on IIS who have in some way improved my imagemaking through comments.

Personally, warm fuzzy comments are nice to receive, but I probably learned more from sucking up the tough love so freely given

Having judged professional photography for the past 25 years, it's worth considering the Sh#t sandwich method when commenting. ie:

Say something nice
Say what what you really want to say
Finish with a positive - always with the intention of improvement

This method is less likely to create offence, and may in fact build rapport.
There's going to be many different personality types here, and sometimes the simple but necessary pleasantries are overlooked when punching that keyboard.

One of the best example of this is Placidus, whose critiques are always a balance of positives backed with hard science observations.
Old 13-06-2017, 12:34 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
But what about that old adage, "It is better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission."
Doesn't pass muster with me, as the guy who thought it was ok to do so "in the name of science" found out the hard way.

We give a warning to the offender first though, if we see that it was genuinely done unknowingly (of the rules) but either way we don't allow it.

Old 13-06-2017, 12:50 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

This has become quite an interesting thread huh?

Like all forums, there are a lot of different personalities with different motivations and expectations and different posting styles contributing, so it is pretty easy to annoy people of differing types, quite unintentionally. Thing is, this is not always the fault of the poster though, as how a post is read can easily be the mood of the reader too....can all get quite misconstrued at times ...oh and then there are the emoticons, apparently they can be annoying too sorry

While it doesn't particularly worry me and please, the following is said in a very light-hearted, this is not serious stuff, tone...the habit of repro'ing others images is a pretty funny one IMO. Sometimes it is kiiinda helpful I guess..?...but mostly.. it just makes me laugh (sometimes out loud) as it nearly always makes the image worse or at best, presents an alternative, for an alternatives sake, which was really probably unnecessary . It really makes me laugh when a clearly high quality image is posted and someone takes it upon themselves to reprocess and present an alternative version that, for various reasons, looks positively ghastly (now remember!! all that was said veeeery light heatedly ) and I don't particularly mind if someone repros my image for some reason but if it was not asked for or relevant to a discussion...I may well laugh

As for the number of views and posts that an image gets, well, that is largely related to the activity of that imager on the forum and this shouldn't be taken as a result of a cliquey group or tall poppies keeping to themselves, it is simply a natural occurrence. Ie. if you post replies to lots of people and lots of images, then hey, you will generally get lots of posts back to your own images . This shouldn't be taken in a bad way and annoy anyone. I regularly post my images to several other forums where I get very few responses, because I make very few responses, not because I don't care about that forum, I just don't have the time to make multiple responses to multiple forums, IIS is my favourite so most of my posting and replying is done here

This should be a fun game we play, try and see around the negativity where possible and just participate at what ever level you wish

There is probably more to discuss that I have forgotten...like the use of emoticons ...but that'll do

Mike
Old 13-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Doesn't pass muster with me, as the guy who thought it was ok to do so "in the name of science" found out the hard way.

We give a warning to the offender first though, if we see that it was genuinely done unknowingly (of the rules) but either way we don't allow it.

If it is the guy I think you're talking about, his "in the name of science" images looked like he was tripping on psychedelic shrooms.
Old 13-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Paul Haese

David (DJT),

I don't like the idea of a reprocess of an image posted on the site. I don't like to have someone do that with my images and I am sure many people don't like that idea either. At least it seems that way from the discussion here.

I have in the past employed the method that Andy described, but had one person tell me it was like getting a report from a school teacher. I had mistakenly thought that critique (what you like, what you don't and how to improve) raises the standard for Australian imagers but that is not what many want; they want attaboy and you're a star. It's not just here it is on every forum I am a member.

Mostly now I just say what I like with images I get to see.
Old 18-06-2017, 12:28 PM
topheart

I agree with not posting a reprocessing of someone's image unless requested to do so.
I believe that we should accept negative feedback with good grace and I strongly want any deficiencies in my images mentioned so that I can learn and improve. When you look at your own image for a long time, you can lose sight of things and not see obvious glitches....There are amazingly knowledgeable people here on this forum and I have learnt so much from the criticisms I have received..... It has been the best advice that I have had from anywhere. This is a very good astrophotography community of good people.
Cheers,
Tim