Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 20-11-2019, 08:10 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

8 inch Binocular telescope build.

Spent the last couple of nights trying out my new 8 inch binoscope build. I decided on an F5 focal ratio as I can get away without using coma correctors and the scope is relatively compact. Each side is a stand alone scope which is collimated as you would any newt, and then co collimated using vertical and horizontal adjustment knobs.I was surprised how easy it was to merge the image. Interpupil distance is set using two focusers and focusing is done with a pair of helical focusers. I'm using a pair of 24mm panoptics and 16mm T5 eyepieces so the system is set up for these. Had a chance to look at the LMC & SMC, 47 tuc, NGC 253 and the orion neb and was impressed with the quality of view. I have a BT100 scope, but an 8 inch bino is at another level, the view of the orion neb especially had the 3D effect and the amount of detail compared to mono was very noticeable. There will be a better primary cell with front collimation, focuser board, a two vane spider and baffles around the primary and secondary mirror which I'm working on at the moment, but the bino as is works better than I expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1529 (2).jpg)
108.7 KB150 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1530.jpg)
97.0 KB147 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1532.jpg)
74.5 KB119 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1531 (2).jpg)
123.7 KB139 views
Old 20-11-2019, 08:20 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Wow that looks fantastic Ivan
Old 20-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Looks an excellent design and build, gladdens the heart to see that there is still ATM designs and builds happening. It does help having more off the shelf items at more affordable levels.
Love the thought and engineering that has gone into the binoscope, one of these days !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUS.K View Post
Spent the last couple of nights trying out my new 8 inch binoscope build. I decided on an F5 focal ratio as I can get away without using coma correctors and the scope is relatively compact. Each side is a stand alone scope which is collimated as you would any newt, and then co collimated using vertical and horizontal adjustment knobs.I was surprised how easy it was to merge the image. Interpupil distance is set using two focusers and focusing is done with a pair of helical focusers. I'm using a pair of 24mm panoptics and 16mm T5 eyepieces so the system is set up for these. Had a chance to look at the LMC & SMC, 47 tuc, NGC 253 and the orion neb and was impressed with the quality of view. I have a BT100 scope, but an 8 inch bino is at another level, the view of the orion neb especially had the 3D effect and the amount of detail compared to mono was very noticeable. There will be a better primary cell with front collimation, focuser board, a two vane spider and baffles around the primary and secondary mirror which I'm working on at the moment, but the bino as is works better than I expected.

Excellent work Ivan.....
Old 21-11-2019, 07:39 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Thanks Graham, Jeff and Matt. Tried it out last night after a few modifications and all works okay. Building this has been a quick learning curve in Binoscopes, a few issues came to light which I never thought of, all the planning and assumptions I had quickly changed as this build progressed. I added a unity finder to it today.
Old 22-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Pepper (Steve)

That’s a neat looking apparatus.
Question, do you not get in the way of the light path.? I’m imagining that the scope looks back over your shoulders?
Old 22-11-2019, 10:13 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Looks great Ivan, a really interesting approach. It looks like "keeping it simple" is working well for you.

Well done and all the best with the refinements.

- Dean
Old 22-11-2019, 05:04 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Thanks Steve, the mirrors are always above shoulder level when looking into eyepieces. Hi Dean,the first version of this scope had 2 solid tubes and was very heavy and had too much play in it to hold collimation well, every time the scope was moved to another position,I had to co collimate it. This version holds Co collimation through the whole range of movement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4824 (2).jpg)
95.4 KB95 views
Old 25-11-2019, 07:45 AM
Wavytone

Ivan that looks great - will we see it on the field soon ?
Old 25-11-2019, 11:08 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Thanks Nick, will bring it to the Airfield soon.
Old 25-11-2019, 08:33 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Oh dear, I have two 8" tube units and the helical focusers waiting for me to design and build some form of assembly so I can have my binocular - looking something like this Gus. Seems it might be more of a challenge than I imagined Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUS.K View Post
Thanks Steve, the mirrors are always above shoulder level when looking into eyepieces. Hi Dean,the first version of this scope had 2 solid tubes and was very heavy and had too much play in it to hold collimation well, every time the scope was moved to another position,I had to co collimate it. This version holds Co collimation through the whole range of movement.
Old 25-11-2019, 09:06 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Hi Eric, as much as I wanted the two tube design to work, it was just too heavy and awkward to move on the mounting setup I had,which was based on Dave Trotts 6 incch hinged binocular frame. This lightweight skeletal framework version works, is a pleasure to use compared to the tubed version, relatively easier to move, and a lot easier to co-collimate.