Old 30-07-2018, 11:16 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Ordered ASI290MM ..... What next?!!!

Hi again,

Long time didn't post here about something, i got busy this month, but hope i will get back to astronomy sooner or later, the heat here with humidity is killing, also i traveled for vacation with family between 21st to 26 July, now back to my old life and heat.

I just ordered ASI290MM for the deals from ZWO, I like offers announced from manufacturers when possible so sometimes i take the bait and order something, and this time it is this camera.

So, if someone bought this camera, what else is in the list? I will buy a filter wheel later, i think by the end of year as ZWO also having some discounts, unless i get some unexpected income somewhere then i can order the FW, i will buy the mini one as for planetary i really don't need 7-10 filters slots, and this is cheap anyway, but i have other things to spend at first and not rush bought the filter wheel, still have QHY big one which i really keep it for DSO only and locked with QHY camera, so anything else to think about it?

What could be a good scope to match this camera over my other ZWO camera?
Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

Hi Tareq. Easiest thing to get started with planetary is to fit the ASI290mm to your current scope (I have no idea what that is) & filter wheel with RGB filters.

You will just need a suitable barlow or PowerMate to get a decent focal length for planetary (around 4 metres, depending on your seeing).

I got started in planetary with an ASI 290mm, a manual 1.25" filter wheel, and some cheap RGB filters on a refractor (FL 840mm), and a 5x PowerMate.

Then I upgraded to a 2nd hand motorised filter wheel, Celestron C9.25 (FL 2,350mm), and a 2.5x PowerMate.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:53 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Hi Tareq. Easiest thing to get started with planetary is to fit the ASI290mm to your current scope (I have no idea what that is) & filter wheel with RGB filters.

You will just need a suitable barlow or PowerMate to get a decent focal length for planetary (around 4 metres, depending on your seeing).

I got started in planetary with an ASI 290mm, a manual 1.25" filter wheel, and some cheap RGB filters on a refractor (FL 840mm), and a 5x PowerMate.

Then I upgraded to a 2nd hand motorised filter wheel, Celestron C9.25 (FL 2,350mm), and a 2.5x PowerMate.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much for your reply, i didn't come here earlier to check out the posts, got busy, and thought no one will be interested in to reply to my thread anyway.

I think i will not play with my ASI290mm yet, maybe i will keep it until next year, many told me that sooner or later i will need so many filters and not just LRGB, i was going to buy a mini motorized filter wheel for 5 filters, but they convinced me that it will be a waste as i will then buy more filters so i will change it, and i am still on my plan to buy full set of Astrodon filters in 1.25" size only, i have full set at 36mm but not Astrodon and that is already connected to my mono astro cooled camera for DSO, so i am not planning to use this one for planetary, unless i buy full set of Astrodon at 1.25" then replace that 36mm to be used for planetary and put Astrodon for DSO although 1.25" will cause some issues such as vignetting and i don't know how to take flats yet.

I still want to know what another filters to buy beside LRGB either for mono or camera, i see many are using IR filters either pass or cut, there is also a filter UV for Venus which will be added to my list, but i still don't know why someone told me to get CH4 [Methane] filter, i can buy it, and i saw the result, but what is it for? i heard they said just scientific things or research, but someone like me who doesn't do these things is it really important even if it is cheap and affordable?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:57 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Actually my main plan now after 2 cameras for planetary is another scope, i have now a Mak 180mm, not bad, but it never give me results that are similar or same as large SCT or Newtonian/Dobs, so i keep pushing it too much beyond its ability or power, means it is no longer the best choice then, it is amazing on the moon because that is easy and bright target, didn't test it on the sun because doesn't have a right tools for solar imaging yet, and i also have a newtonian which is 8" f5, didn't test that yet at all for anything, sure once i take it out of the box it will be used sometimes for planetary and then i compare, but i don't have long Powermate as 4x or 5x yet, only have Powermate 2x got it recently, and also TV 3x Barlow, but i think the best planetary images i saw are came from really large scopes, SCT or Dob/Newtonian, even C11 isn't large enough to me now so i skip it, but i can't afford C14 so only a large Dob such as 16" or even 18" is more affordable without buying another capable mount.