Old 24-04-2011, 06:06 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re G-STAR X information needed.

I am wanting to know how this camera connects to a scope.Does anyone here have or use one,that they could post a few images off.Might think about getting one of these purely for occultations.

Thanks Chris
Old 24-04-2011, 08:31 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

As in the GSTAR-EX, Chris?

My colour version came with a 1.25" nose that screws directly into the brass screw thread on the front of the camera and fits into the 2"-->1.25" adapter. The screw thread is a standard CCTV thread, so if you buy a standard CCTV lens (Ebay for about $5, Jaycar for about $25), that will fit as well - that is the thread size. I believe the brass ring will come off to reveal a larger thread?.
Old 24-04-2011, 09:15 AM
hotspur (Chris)

starx

yeah,that's the one Erick,-as you can see I do not know much about them,Even the name!.

But I hear there good for occultation work,which is all I would be interested in it for.Got any pics of it on ya scope Erick?

Thanks Chris
Old 24-04-2011, 11:42 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Re pics - nope. But I'll see if I can organise some.

Why so sophisticated a camera? Wouldn't a fairly basic webcam do the job, as long as you can manually adjust brightness and contrast in the software control? And it would depend on how faint is the star that you wish to watch appear/disappear? But although by using integration you could put up fainter stars, that adds a degree of delay in the image display which will probably not help at all for occultation - surely you want real time observation?
Old 25-04-2011, 07:40 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re Gstar X

Erick-I had a chat with Johnathon Bradshaw who is the leading occultation expert in Australia-he uses the GSTAR X and gets video recordings.He says its very good for his work if this field.I did discuss other options with him-but he suggested this piece of kit-rather than waste time with other options-may as well get the best piece of kit for the job I have in mind.Hope you can post some images-Thanks-Chris
Old 25-04-2011, 01:49 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I'd have to knock off a few of my occultation mates to clame that crown Australia is leading the way in Occultation science and with a few more observers on board, we can show the EU and US a thing or two about gathering data as well!!

I would recomend Steve Quirk's site http://my.hwy.com.au/sjquirk/ as a place to start for imaging examples.

Fixing the fella onto a scope is easy enough. The camera itself has a thread called C-Type which is standard on video cameras. It will come with a C-1.25 adaptor which will screw directly into any appropriate focusser with a 2" adaptor if needed.

So why all the different adaprors in the photo attached - well each scope has it's own issues. When you are using it with your refractor, you can place it in the same position as you would your SLR. The standard camera adaptor is a T Type, so there are plenty of C-T adaptors to give a nice solid connection.

On a reflector, the aim is to get as low a profile as possible as the camera will need to be closer to the mirror than an eyepiece which can be an issue for some telescopes hence the low profile adaptors.

Steve Massey or Vince at Astroshop will make sure you get the right bits and of course, you can call me anytime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_7984.JPG)
115.0 KB40 views
Old 25-04-2011, 08:14 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re camera

Thanks Johnathon-after our phone I ponded what one of these thing looked liked and how it would attach to my scope.

Hopefully,we'll catch up on a field night.

Cheers Chris
Old 03-05-2011, 01:45 PM
robz (Robert)

Just deviating slightly here guys.............if I'm using a SCT, do I still require an Infrared filter or not.
I have a 12 inch LX200ACF which is a mixture of reflective and refractive optics...........sort of
Old 03-05-2011, 05:51 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Depends...

If you want sharper star images, then yes, if you want to see more nebulosity then no.

I rarely use mine with an IR filter, but I am not going for award winning astrophotos!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 AM
robz (Robert)

Thanks Jonathan
Old 06-05-2011, 10:51 AM
robz (Robert)

On the Cloudynights forum,and for the record, only an I.R. filter is required for SCT's

Rob.