Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 16-10-2020, 08:48 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
If you don't use an IR cut filter, then the RGB channels will be swamped with IR and the planet's colours will be incorrect. Here is some more information on that (written for the ASI224MC, but also applicable for the 462 as the IR sensitivity is even higher). The 462 has an IR transparent window, so you need to get an IR cut filter for colour imaging (I just bought the ZWO IR cut filter when I bought the camera).
https://www.planetary-astronomy-and-...lter-asi224mc/

The 462 sensor is more sensitive than the next best sensor (the 224MC which I have), it has a lower noise level (0.5e vs 0.8e) and the smaller pixels mean that its best focal ratio is f/15 rather than f/20.

The maths which shows how the focal ratio = 5x the pixel size of the camera is determined is attached. Don't worry about the Bintel sampling tool, as mentioned above it's designed for DSOs not planetary.

Andrew
Cool. Some more reading to do. I have various IR cut filters. Will fit one in the light path next session. You've mentioned the ideal focal ratio before. Will check that out too. To date I have gone as long as the optics and mount allow me which is ~8m @ 200mm aperture.
Old 17-10-2020, 01:50 PM
evltoy (Wayne)

this is all very good information & more then what I was anticipating.

I think I'll go with the 462. With the IR cut filter, I only need this if I'm planning to just view the object on my screen, but for recording I would remove the IR filter?

Cheers
Wayne
Old 17-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Ittaku (Con)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
this is all very good information & more then what I was anticipating.

I think I'll go with the 462. With the IR cut filter, I only need this if I'm planning to just view the object on my screen, but for recording I would remove the IR filter?
You have to use the IR filter for capturing.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:25 PM
evltoy (Wayne)

Hey all
I ended up getting the 462mc. Weather has been crap so I haven’t had a chance to test/play with.

In regards to an IR cut filter, I have a Baader Neodymium (Moon & Skyglow)-Filter which is an IR cut. Should this filter be ok or will the colour shift be to great to give me incorrect colours?
Old 04-01-2021, 11:06 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

While the M&SG filter will remove the IR, it will also cut out a fair bit of the visible spectrum in the yellow region which is probably not ideal. I bought a ZWO IR cut filter from Bintel when I bought my ASI224MC, they are not that expensive...
Old 21-01-2021, 12:51 PM
evltoy (Wayne)

Thanks Andrew. I was looking at the zwo UV/IR cut filter... it is the cheapest brand name going around, but not in stock

Another brand I was looking at is the Astronomik IR-Block Filter... what is everyone's thoughts on this?