Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 07-09-2006, 08:27 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Exclamation Announcement: IISis2 2nd Birthday Competition!

Hi all.

I'm pleased to announce today the launch of the IISis2 Competition, to celebrate the 2nd Birthday of IceInSpace.

Usually there's a couple of weeks notice leading up to a competition, but not this time! I wanted to surprise you all so the competition is announced and launched today, on the day of our 2nd birthday!

Everything you need to know, including the sponsors, prizes, the all-important rules and more can be found on the IISis2 Competition Info Page.

The eligibility rules are slightly different for this competition than from previous competitions. To be eligible to take part in the competition, you have to have been a member for 1 month and have made at least 5 posts. I'm sorry if this rules you out this time around, but for guests, make sure you register so that you're eligible for the next competition. For those with less than 5 posts, won't don't you introduce yourself, say g'day, ask some questions, or provide some answers or advice to others. Once you've made more than 5 posts, within the hour you'll be able to take part in the competition.

The format of the actual quiz is the same as previous competitions, with 30 multiple questions. Many thanks to Dennis Simmons and Paul Russell (1ponders) for their help, by providing some questions for the quiz. They sacrificed their eligibility to win some great prizes in order to help me out. I appreciate it greatly.

As with previous competitions, you only need to get 1 answer correct to get an entry in the draw! The more you get right, the more entries you get in the draw.

Thanks to the generous sponsors for providing the great prizes for the competition. Why not show your support to the sponsors, as thanks to them for providing this support to you.

This is the official thread for the IISis2 competition, so please feel free to ask questions or make comments about the competition in here.

I've put some work in automating the running of these competitions, so the quiz questions will automatically be live after 9am this morning (13th September).

You have 2 weeks to get your entries in, with entries closing at 5pm AEST on September 27th 2006. After that time, the correct answers (and your score) will automatically be displayed on the quiz page.

Thanks, and good luck!

Last edited by iceman; 13-09-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 13-09-2006, 06:25 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

The draw will take place within 2 weeks of the quiz closing. As it says in the competition rules, winners will be PM'd advising them they've won, and they need to respond within 1 week in order to claim their prize.

Make sure you've got PM email notifications turned on, and ensure your profile has a current, valid and correct email address so you don't miss it!
Old 13-09-2006, 06:42 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

to us
to us
to Iceinspaaaaace
to us

HipHip
HipHip
HipHip

Congrats on the roaring success of you little enterprise Mike

What a great list of prizes. Thanks to the sponsor and three cheers to them for supporting this great site.
HipHip
HipHip
HipHip
Old 13-09-2006, 07:01 AM
h0ughy (David)

what Paul said ^
Old 13-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

What h0ughy said about what Paul said and I'll have some of what Paul is on. Great work Mike and good luck to all the entrants.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 13-09-2006, 08:38 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Double ditto on the above posts...
Old 13-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Dujon
SKE

Happy birthday, Mike's baby, IIS. Thanks for your and your assistants' efforts. Fantastic.

Thanks also to your generous sponsors; it's marvellous to see businesses supporting those who support them .
Old 13-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

IIS......
Old 13-09-2006, 08:47 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

2 years and how many members?!

congrats go out to every member here

(quiz complete)
Old 13-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Mike - there's no "enter" or "submit" button at the end of the questionnaire as such. I presume that by selecting each choice and then clicking on the "return" link at the bottom (rather than "cancel") an entry is recorded?

Cheers
Chris
Old 13-09-2006, 01:52 PM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

Well done Mike for a wonderful site.

Already completed and entered my answers for the quiz. Heres hoping for the best. Those prizes look fantastic.
Old 13-09-2006, 01:59 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Mike - there's no "enter" or "submit" button at the end of the questionnaire as such. I presume that by selecting each choice and then clicking on the "return" link at the bottom (rather than "cancel") an entry is recorded?
Hi Chris.

The reason you don't see a submit button is because you're not yet eligible to enter the quiz, as you haven't been a member for 1 month. It should say as such as the top of the quiz entry form.

Looking at your profile, you joined on the 21st August, so you'll be able to enter the quiz after the 21st September, as you've already made more than 5 posts.

Hope that explains it.
Old 13-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Gee... it seems to me like I've been here for ages! LOL!! I read the requirements and didn't even think to stop and see when it was that I registered..... hehe... and after answering most of the questions off the top of my head too! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman
Hi Chris.

The reason you don't see a submit button is because you're not yet eligible to enter the quiz, as you haven't been a member for 1 month. It should say as such as the top of the quiz entry form.

Looking at your profile, you joined on the 21st August, so you'll be able to enter the quiz after the 21st September, as you've already made more than 5 posts.

Hope that explains it.
Old 13-09-2006, 02:37 PM
RB (Andrew)

Thanks to all the sponsors for the prizes for our competition.
Congrats to everyone involved with IIS.

Marvellous effort indeed.

Old 13-09-2006, 08:24 PM
astromark

Thanks for the note and, Congrats ! You are two. Good on you all.
Old 14-09-2006, 12:16 AM
David

Happy second, great site Mike & thanks for all the work you put in keeping it going. Australian Sky & Telescope let the cat out of the bag about the competition on Pg 84 Sept,Oct.
Cheers
Old 14-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Blue Fire
Night-sky dreamer

Worthy of congrats and celebration to boot! I just joined the forum in August, and I'm thrilled to be part of the whole shebang. And that IIS Competition quiz was a great idea. I'm one of those that learned a bunch from it!
Old 14-09-2006, 08:18 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

so far i have said that i am going to win every contest there has been on here... time for reverse psychology.

I am not going to win!

there you go, i am going to win for sure now
D'oh!
Old 14-09-2006, 03:32 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Congratulations on IIS turning 2!

Ving, I'm going to try the Majikthise and Vroomfondel approach... "I demand that I may or may not win!"

There! we'll see how that goes...

Al.
Old 14-09-2006, 03:40 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny
Congratulations on IIS turning 2!

Ving, I'm going to try the Majikthise and Vroomfondel approach... "I demand that I may or may not win!"

There! we'll see how that goes...

Al.

that cracked me up!!!