Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 21-11-2006, 09:56 PM
FNQ_View (Mick)

I have read this thread with some interest. I recently discovered that the published declination for my area is very different to the actual declination. Since perfforming the following excercise I find that my previously questionable goto scope actually locates quite well when it's setup correctly. I had been introducing an error of at least seven degrees due to some local irregularities.

If you are using your 'scope at the same location regularly, I would suggest you try the following exercise.

To find celestial North or South, you need need a long stick and two small sticks or tent pegs - even two similar size rocks will do.

At approx. 11.00 am on a sunny day go to the spot you usually set up your telescope. Drive one end of the long stick into the ground so it stands up vertically.

Drive a tent peg into the ground at the western end of the stick's shadow.

Return every 15 to 30 minutes to monitor the movement of the shadow.

When the shadow length to the East is the same as it was to the west, drive the second tent peg in to the ground at the end of the shadow.

Remove the long stick from the ground and align it against the tent pegs.

Stand with the sun to your right and your toes touching the long stick. you are now looking towards the SCP. . ( Have the sun to your left if you want North ) Look for a marker that you can use to align your telescope against or make a mark at the furthest point that you can reasonably gain access to ( the further away your mark - the more accurate your alignment.