Old 13-05-2011, 04:48 PM
supernova1965 (Warren)
Buddhist Astronomer

Nikon Extension Tube Macro Ring

I know this is not the ideal solution but I thought it was worth it due to the price and anything that will allow getting closer focus on close items was worth it. So I think some will say it may not work well but I can't afford a Macro lens. So being ready for being told I have wasted $20 what do you all think

Nikon Extension Tube Macro Ring

Last edited by supernova1965; 13-05-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Title Change
Old 13-05-2011, 06:53 PM
space oddity

tubular bells

Extension tubes are an acceptable way of getting macro if the budget is too tight. Beware that you will be extremely restricted on magnification and shooting distance. You will lose lens speed. Second hand older manual focus lenses eg 55 f/2.8 go pretty cheaply -about $60and give you quality image and can be used even better with the tubes. A zoom on extension tubes may well be way too dim to focus. If you have a static subject, reversing the lens with or without the extensionn tube/s will give higher quality image as well as higher magnification. The more wide angle, the higher the magnification. Totally manual operation,tripod only, but you could use any brand lens . Reversing rings are cheap. Old Minolta lenses in particular are high quality and cheap.