Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,698
A Lagoon for Moana

Late season M8 from lockdown central - My light polluted suburban backyard, Bortle 7 -Melbourne.

A return to my narrowband roots, just 5+ hrs of data processed with the usual J-P Metsavianio tone mapping and a gentle tweak or two inspired by Eric Coles Histogram balancing method.

Ha>G, O3>B, S2>R

Fortunately, it's a very bright target!

ASTROBIN

PS: The 11 y/o reckons it looks like an Arrakis Sandworm in Space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LUM_Ha_O3_S2_IIS.jpg)
189.5 KB178 views
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 2.26.51 PM.jpg)
34.5 KB66 views

Last edited by Andy01; 01-10-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:44 PM
Atmos's Avatar
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Atmos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,873
Quite nice Andy, turned into an interesting colour palette
The outer regions of M8 look great but it appears to have broken down towards the centre.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2020, 03:32 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,277
Nice job Andy, a cool Lagoon and a very good choice to get your inner city astroimaging fix I recon

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Quite nice Andy, turned into an interesting colour palette
The outer regions of M8 look great but it appears to have broken down towards the centre.
Cheers Col - Since you've been a good boy you may have an extra helping of core detail! (same link) Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Nice job Andy, a cool Lagoon and a very good choice to get your inner city astroimaging fix I recon

Mike
Thanks Mike - It's much easier to do NB targets from here than LRGB!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2020, 08:39 PM
pkinchington's Avatar
pkinchington (Peter)
Registered User

pkinchington is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 50
Lovely work Andy!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2020, 02:49 AM
Ryderscope's Avatar
Ryderscope (Rodney)
Registered User

Ryderscope is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Glanmire, NSW
Posts: 1,449
Nice work Andy and good to see the younger one getting involved
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2020, 06:09 AM
DavidTrap's Avatar
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

DavidTrap is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,956
Detail is lovely, but I'm going to be a dissenter and say it's a bit too flat for my liking - a little more contrast.

DT
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2020, 09:36 AM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 16,413
Nice one Andy. I like the colours and the subtle pink areas.
Greg
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2020, 09:49 AM
vlazg's Avatar
vlazg (George)
Registered User

vlazg is offline
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Darwin
Posts: 641
Very nice Andy, I really like the palette but I have to agree with Col, the outer portion is great but the core looks over processed to me
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinchington View Post
Lovely work Andy!
Thanks Pete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Nice work Andy and good to see the younger one getting involved
Ha Ha yes, a proud parent, raised him well! cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Detail is lovely, but I'm going to be a dissenter and say it's a bit too flat for my liking - a little more contrast.

DT
As ol' Abe once famously said, "You can please some of the people, some of the time" thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Nice one Andy. I like the colours and the subtle pink areas.
Greg
Cheers Greg, nice to bring something new to a classic target
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-10-2020, 05:59 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Placidus is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Euchareena, NSW
Posts: 3,507
Andy, we REALLY like that.

Your field of view is much larger than ours, and you've shown wonderful, intriguing features that we've not noticed before, including a double-headed horse head at top right, and a wonderful pillars-of-creation style pillar, rich in OIII, with a sharp shock-front cap at bottom right.

I think you've inspired us to consider a mosaic next year.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-10-2020, 02:14 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,852
A really nice M8. One for the poolroom.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-10-2020, 10:26 AM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Andy, we REALLY like that.

Your field of view is much larger than ours, and you've shown wonderful, intriguing features that we've not noticed before, including a double-headed horse head at top right, and a wonderful pillars-of-creation style pillar, rich in OIII, with a sharp shock-front cap at bottom right.

I think you've inspired us to consider a mosaic next year.
Thanks M&T, it's always a challenge to bring something new to a classic target, so thanks for your encouragement. A mosaic from your 20" scope would be quite something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
A really nice M8. One for the poolroom.
Cheers Marc, appreciate the nice feedback
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-10-2020, 09:26 AM
Paul Haese's Avatar
Paul Haese
Registered User

Paul Haese is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 9,625
The colour is pleasing Andy. Detail too is nice and sharp and the inner core of the nebula looks punchy without being over cooked.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-10-2020, 09:17 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 256
An absolutely magnificent image, Andy. I keep staring at it, mesmerised. My first ever-so-humble foray with the ZWO ASI on Sept 18 with just 20 x 10s of the Lagoon is of course, miserably lacking in detail (see Beginners' Photography forum), but this image of yours shows me what is possible, maybe in a few years' time!

Hope you enter this image in a comp or two!

Cheers,
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-10-2020, 08:19 AM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
The colour is pleasing Andy. Detail too is nice and sharp and the inner core of the nebula looks punchy without being over cooked.
Thanks Paul, really appreciate your considered analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
An absolutely magnificent image, Andy. I keep staring at it, mesmerised. My first ever-so-humble foray with the ZWO ASI on Sept 18 with just 20 x 10s of the Lagoon is of course, miserably lacking in detail (see Beginners' Photography forum), but this image of yours shows me what is possible, maybe in a few years' time!

Hope you enter this image in a comp or two!

Cheers,
Richard
Cheers Richard, thanks for your warm reception. Your Lagoon is much better than my first attempt
Keep going!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-10-2020, 08:46 AM
topheart
Registered User

topheart is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1,060
Very well done!
Cheers,
Tim
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 10:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement